Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie health care and digestion page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Doggie health care and digestion

Just to warn you - some graphic descriptions of doggie digestion gone haywire below! But would really appreciate some advice.

I'm a bit concerned about our dog. About five years ago he ate some out-of-date paté and spent two days puking and shitting blood (sorry tmi). His stomach has never really been the same, but in the last week something is going on with him. He keeps having "accidents" (puking, diahrriea) in the morning, and then yesterday when I took him for a walk and he was shitting blood...

He's in good spirits other than that, but he's getting old (just turned 10) and I'm concerned that something happening with him. My mum feeds him those granuales with chicken. She gave him beef the other day and she thinks that's what turned him. She said that any time she gives him something outside his regular diet it screws him up.

Any suggestions people have would be great I have no faith in our vet as the idiot knocked out a couple of the dog's teeth last time he was there (don't ask). Are there any alternatives to vets these days? Naturopaths for dogs? Ha!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Just so you know who we're talking about...

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

TNFrogDogMom is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like IBD. Similar as in humans. Keeping consistent gentle diet is key to stabilizing. There are a couple of forums for IBD dogs. I know yahoo groups has one. Google canine IBD and look for another vet would be my suggestion.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    You have not shown your location, but where I live we have just now some kind of a virus that dogs get and the simptoms are exactly the same as you describe. I did take my dog to the vet, as shitting blood is not normal. We have good vets whom I trust and dog has no objections too*. Dog was given 2 injections - one to dry the intestines and stop diarea, the other to stop vomiting. Some white gypsum-like pasta and 2 kinds of pills, to take morning and evening one for 3 days, other for 5 days. And I got them more than necessary so there would be enough for the other 2 dogs as well. And right - the other one soon started similar simptoms, just we knew and started to give him the pills immediately. Its 5 days now, the first dog is almost perfect, the other - so-so, but not too bad. The third is ok all the time (knock on wood).

*"no objections" doesnt say anything, actually after a heavy surgery the dog refused to go past the vets office - not to avoid it but to go in and stay, who needs home when they have everything that a dog may wish: cage, blanket, food, and for sure those perfect little injections that made the dog reasonably high. He is over that little addiction moment now.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    A vet visit IMO is necessary. This is not normal. The vet equivalent to Naturopath would be a Holistic vet. I use one for my two girls and would never go to a regular vet again, the approach is totally different. To help to digest food better I give mine the Animal Essentials digestive enzymes/probiotics with food. But this to me sounds like it needs attention. For sickness and diarrhea my vet would prescribe a strong probiotic.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Because of blood in the stool, I'd definitely bring your pup to the vet.
    Also, a good home remedy for any kind of tummy upset is canned pumpkin - make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. You can google this as a remedy to see dosages, etc. When our Lab has had diarrhea, we've given her a TBSP 1 - 3 times a day and it's really helped get her poops back to normal.
    Hope your baby is feeling better soon.
    Last edited by Pheebie; 04-29-2013 at 09:28 AM.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I can't offer much help other than to suggest a visit to a different vet. It sounds as though he may need some medication for this. I do very much hope that he recovers quickly!

Thanks for all the input everyone! Doggie lives with mum in the backarse of nowhere. A quick google search turned up no holistic vets.. quelle surprise. I've suggested the pumpkin and probiotic to her... we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I know a lot of people who give their dogs yogurt and white rice with good results. Not exactly a natural canine diet but it might settle his stomach.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Plain white rice after 12 hrs gastric rest. 24-48 hrs on rice, then add plain boiled chicken. slowly add back in quality kibble if you must, or feed raw/grain free if you can. add probiotics when you add in rice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast