Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doggie health care and digestion

Shop Now
    Blood in stool is much more common in dogs than humans and is not always a cause for major alarm. 12 hours of no food followed by rice and boiled chicken is the standard treatment my vet recommends. then I had yogurt. If it continues long term it could be IBS which is common in older dogs. It can be pretty cheaply treated with metranidazol in most dogs.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Anytime we feed our dog anything outside of his usual beef and salmon diet, diarrhea ensues. Any kind of poultry is the worst for him. You have to gradually add any new foods a bit at a time (think: spoonful) into his regular food if you want to give him more variety so he as time to adapt; then monitor closely. He had a dehydrated pig ear the other day without issue. He was supposed to gnaw for days, finished it in a thirty-min don't-even-look-at-me session.

Ps. OMG, he's so cute if the blood persists, have him examined if you can.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-29-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Just so you know who we're talking about...

Cute dog, but OMG I CAN SEE THROUGH HIS STOMACH TO THE GRASS BEHIND HIM

I would say more liver, mashed up in white rice. Helps with my cats anyway.
    Make America Great Again

Kefir has worked wonders with my dogs when they've had seriously bad diarrhoea and nasty gas (both ends).
    But if it lasts more than a couple of days, or he's not himself I'd take him to a vet.

My boy was off colour and refusing food and I left it for a couple of days to see if he'd come right, turned out he had a twisted spleen and nearly died.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Shop Now
    One of our dogs started having diarrhea several times a week a few years ago. We switched them to a grain free diet, and the problem went away completely. I don't remember the brand we use, but can check if you're interested. Our cats are now grain free as well, and are much healthier - better coats and fewer hairballs.

With bloody stools, I'd definitely get the vet involved, too.