Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying PB page

tabithatoes is offline Member

Exclamation Modifying PB

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone. I'm slowly getting throug day 4, and I'm just feeling weak, groggy, and discouraged. This carb withdrawal has me totally out of whack, and I'm not very hungry and probably not getting enough calories in my day (1100-1200). I'm honestly afraid of losing body fat at the moment, because I just don't have the energy to work out and build muscle to replace it!

I'm staying in the 100-150g carb range, for weight maintenance. Previously I had been consuming 200-400g carbs per day, and wasn't experiencing weight gain but I had other effects (cravings, crashes, digestive issues, etc). I've cut grains back to practically nothing, but I have been grabbing a palmful of granola once a day after my 2 mile walk. I know this isn't strictly primal, but since I started PB I feel dizzy and slow after a walk.

I'm trying to modify PB so that I can avoid the "low carb flu" and build muscle at the same rate I'm losing body fat. Any ideas from experienced PB-ers? I want to live healthy and have a stronger body, but I want to do it in a way that doens't knock me on my ass!

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, it's best to just suck it up and deal with the carb flu. I started Primal eating a couple times (I had to stop due to budgeting constraints) and Rather the slowly cutting back and getting used to it I found it easier to just cut the grains and crap all together, get over the transition and move on.
    ---
    ~Christine

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    It's sounds like you already have carb flu. It might be worth adding fat in to increase your calories as they are very low. Make sure you are getting enough protein too. I'm inclined to suggest you stop the walk until you have more energy. It should only be a week or two, and then you can exercise more if you wish. We'll see what others say.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabithatoes View Post
    ...but I have been grabbing a palmful of granola once a day after my 2 mile walk. I know this isn't strictly primal, but since I started PB I feel dizzy and slow after a walk.

I'm trying to modify PB so that I can avoid the "low carb flu" and build muscle at the same rate I'm losing body fat. Any ideas from experienced PB-ers? I want to live healthy and have a stronger body, but I want to do it in a way that doens't knock me on my ass!
    By doing this, I believe you're only going to be prolonging the flu-like symptoms. What worked best for me (Warning! n=1 experiment and purely opinion) was to completely eliminate carbs for about a week or two and then reintroduce a small amount of them shortly there-after. I never really experienced a low-carb flu this way.

mcasse is offline Junior Member
    Why go from tons of carbs to low carbs? If you tapered your carb intake off, you'd likely find a point where you get the carbs you need to feel great, without drastically changing your body biochemistry. Doing that in such a way allows you to personalize your diet, rather that go for a one-size-fits-all approach.

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Is it acceptable to add more dairy to increase the fat without adding carbs? Dairy has never been an issue for me... I have maybe a serving daily (mozarella caprese salad, greek yogurt, sour cream, cheddar/gouda).

mcasse,
    Thanks for the response, that's exactly what I was trying to say! I'm NOT looking for extreme or immediate results. I have no weight to lose, I just want to use the principles of PB to change my body composition. I've been a terrible vegetarian for YEARS now... eating tons of grain, convenience foods, etc. Pb is helping me to eat tons of fresh whole foods like veggies, berries, nuts, eggs, and fish. The one part of PB I won't modify is the exercise pyramid... as soon as I get the energy to start heavy lifting and sprints!

mcasse is offline Junior Member
    I'm not a PBer myself, but it's a generally healthy diet I think. I think it takes the carbs are non-essential nutrients idea and does something silly by claiming they need to be minimized. Cut out the overly processed convenience foods and even a conventional wisdom diet becomes quite healthful!

Quote Originally Posted by mcasse View Post
    ...without drastically changing your body biochemistry.
    Why would you not want to change your biochemistry ASAP?

I don't know about everyone else, but this is exactly why I'm here. What excessive carbs do to our body on a cellular level is disgusting and once I found that out, I wanted to get myself healthy right away. Just giving my two cents and what worked for me. I'm not a doctor or a health professional, but I have been around the forums for awhile, been following a healthy, paleo-style diet for well over a couple years, and am in excellent health.

Quote Originally Posted by tabithatoes View Post
    Is it acceptable to add more dairy to increase the fat without adding carbs? Dairy has never been an issue for me... I have maybe a serving daily (mozarella caprese salad, greek yogurt, sour cream, cheddar/gouda).
    Dairy is a point of contention for many around here, but if you can tolerate it and including those items makes it easier to follow the diet, then by all means keep it up. Though, if you're not seeing the results of re-composition that you were hoping for within a couple months, I would consider dropping it and upping your fat with lard or tallow and see if that helps. Best of luck!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Stuff yourself! Make sure you eat more than enough calories in this phase ... if you try to wean your body off of carbs and at the same time starve it, you're bound to feel weak. When I went through that, I ate a lot of cheese and you can do that, too, if you don't have a problem with cheese. Make sure though that any dairy you eat contains no lactose and no added sugar.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast