Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can head injury change appetite? page

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member

Can head injury change appetite?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing very well on Primal for the last couple of years - lost 65lbs, several dress sizes, also lost my hayfever, eczema and early arthritis problems, and generally felt fantastically well (even though I had stopped losing weight with quite a way to go - the usual plateau which, whilst annoying, was not frustrating me).

However, about 6 weeks ago I managed to injure my head (CT scan shows signs of brain injury, and will be seeing a neurologist about this) and since then have been all over the place with appetite, eating and cravings for bread, chocolate, etc. Most of the time I've managed to manage these (not all the time, it must be said, particularly with chocolate - bread is easier as I'm a coeliac!), but have really noticed that my eating habits have become disordered and I am more likely to stray from the Primal path. I asked my doctor whether this change in appetite, cravings, etc could be related to the head injury, and was given a blank look.

Given that I'm now not allowed to exercise other than walking until given the go-ahead by the neurologist I was wondering whether anyone here had any coping mechanisms or advice ... I really don't want to go off the rails with diet, as I had been feeling so much healthier, but there are times when the compulsion is such that I cannot fight it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    This isn't quite the same thing, but last night I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of William Shatner's "Werid or What?" There was a dude on it who was struck by lighting and suddenly developed the ability to play the piano.

Compared to that, a change in eating habits seems possible!

But seriously, maybe your body is cravings high carb foods cos' it needs the energy to heal? How's your fruit / starch intake?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Your appetite is controlled by your brain. It isn't particularly extraordinary to presume that a brain injury might affect it.

I've been eating more in the way of white potatoes - maybe twice a week, and also more fruit, neither of which hits the spot! Weight has remained stable so far, thank goodness!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    White potatoes are good for you. It is harmless to eat them a few times a week.

Listen to your body - it's craving something for a reason. Think about what's in the food stuffs you're wanting.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Seems to me to be mainly sugary foods, or foods that will raise insulin, that I'm craving which, given that I never had a particularly sweet tooth even before Primal, makes me suspicious. I've also been craving fish, which is easy and healthy to satisfy - we've had loads of fish pies topped with mashed potatoes which does ease cravings and is reasonably inoffensive. I'm sure that there must be something that my body needs, and have been desperately trying to eat the healthier options (frozen bananas with double cream instead of ice cream, 70%+ cocoa solids plus chocolate instead of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, for example), and have been taking fish oil supplements, magnesium and Vit. D3. I don't know how long the good old NHS will take to refer me to a neurologist (it only took 10 days for the CT scan), but I think judging by my GP's reaction this morning it might be quick. Maybe more light will be shed on the problem then. I'm told I managed to end up with a simple fracture on my forehead, no sign of blood clots, and damage to the "white matter" behind the fracture ... So all in all, it might take a while to recover.

I will try to listen to what I'm craving and see whether or not I can find out what vitamins/minerals etc are in those foods and then try to find the healthier options thereto. I think that maybe I also ought to start doing my shopping online so that I can't be tempted to put a bar of chocolate in my basket ...

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. There are all sorts of symptoms that can be caused by TBI (traumatic brain injury). For me it was ADHD.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    Seems to me to be mainly sugary foods, or foods that will raise insulin, that I'm craving which, given that I never had a particularly sweet tooth even before Primal, makes me suspicious. I've also been craving fish, which is easy and healthy to satisfy - we've had loads of fish pies topped with mashed potatoes which does ease cravings and is reasonably inoffensive. I'm sure that there must be something that my body needs, and have been desperately trying to eat the healthier options (frozen bananas with double cream instead of ice cream, 70%+ cocoa solids plus chocolate instead of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, for example), and have been taking fish oil supplements, magnesium and Vit. D3. I don't know how long the good old NHS will take to refer me to a neurologist (it only took 10 days for the CT scan), but I think judging by my GP's reaction this morning it might be quick. Maybe more light will be shed on the problem then. I'm told I managed to end up with a simple fracture on my forehead, no sign of blood clots, and damage to the "white matter" behind the fracture ... So all in all, it might take a while to recover.

I will try to listen to what I'm craving and see whether or not I can find out what vitamins/minerals etc are in those foods and then try to find the healthier options thereto. I think that maybe I also ought to start doing my shopping online so that I can't be tempted to put a bar of chocolate in my basket ...
    Interesting that you're craving something very high carb, and carbs are the first fuel for the brain. Just a thought.

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope you get better soon btw!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast