Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's page 2

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Just got the cocoa butter and I tried a small bit in some tea and seemed to have a really bad reaction to it - gassy, painful bloating and really thick saliva production. Very bizzare, so I may have to avoid it myself which would be a shame. Thanks for those proportions, I like to have a starting point and though tasting chocolate isn't such a hardship, I don't want to end up derailing myself, especially as I'm VLC at the moment.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You might want to check out the website tropical traditions, they use coconut and coconut oil in tons of recipes. I know she recently posted a recipe for coconut oil fudge.

For the protein issue, could you try using more ground meats? That would be easier to chew. You also might try using a crock pot to cook some meats. I find this makes the meat fall apart tender and can be cut by my children (2 and 5) with their forks.

Alzheimer's runs in my family and so I will be following your updates. At this point I am looking to protect myself and husband for the future (we're only 30) and slowly convince our parents to consider making changes to their diet to help their prospects as they get older.

Thank you, I'll have a look at the site. Coconut is difficult because of the chewing for him. He's not so picky on taste, but if a texture disagrees with him he just spits it out.

Yes, we have ground beef and lamb, 2 or 3 times a week. I fry it with chopped onions and mushrooms and he seems able to cope with that. Haven't thought about trying ground pork. Hmmm, will have a look when I'm shopping. It's just difficult for him to eat any large amounts. Last night we had smoked mackerel but he decided it was a bit tough so only ate about a 1/4 of what was in his plate. But then he ate the egg and most of his peas, so not too bad. Likewise salmon which he used to love.

I have little experience with stews though there may be a slow cooker in the attic, I'll have to check it out. Sadly he can turn the tenderest morsel into a tangled mass of fibres by chomping it with his front teeth, so it can be a bit hit and miss.

I think that Alzheimer's is something that is on everyone's minds. My mother was suffering symptoms similar to Parkinson's although it wasn't that and now I can see how that might also have been down to the CW-influenced diet they were eating and the lack of essential vitamins as a result. Considering the way I'm eating as not just for losing weight, but as a way to insure my future has definitely changed my mind-set. This is definitely an n=1, but if any of it helps anyone else to stave off the disease for a little longer, I feel it's important to share the data.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    How are things going for your father? My nan has Alzheimer's and is getting steadily worse. I showed my parents a webpage about coconut oil helping it, but got ignored. I hope it does the trick for you and yours. It's a heart-breaking **** of a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    How are things going for your father? My nan has Alzheimer's and is getting steadily worse. I showed my parents a webpage about coconut oil helping it, but got ignored. I hope it does the trick for you and yours. It's a heart-breaking **** of a disease.
    Going quite well, thank you. I'm pretty sure there's been an improvement since Easter but it's always difficult to measure. To be honest, he was diagnosed at age 90 and at that age, the average life expectancy is about 3 years so at 93 and at least holding steady, he's doing very well. Of course, most people aren't as fit as my father was to start with.

The difficulty with the coconut oil is the texture. I have been giving him small amounts just before I give him something he's keen to eat, like a banana. That way he's distracted from what's in his mouth by what I've just put in his hand. But it's a prop, I think rather than a cure, and it's the other stuff like low carb diet and providing plenty of raw materials for the brain to repair itself that will see improvements. Using it to cook with at least means reducing further damage due to PUFAs etc.

Sorry to hear about your nan and your parents attitude. Unfortunately, by the time most people get Alzheimer's they've become set in their ways so trying new things can be difficult. I'm fortunate in that my father was never really that bothered about food, so he's not too bothered what I feed him as long as it tastes good. And of course, when the disease is as widespread and devastating as Alzheimer's it can be very difficult for people to break away from CW or to go against the experts/doctors advice. Personally I felt what was there to lose, but if my brother hadn't understood I could have been over-ruled or at least pressured not to try it. I'm very fortunate.

The chocolate issue now appears to be moot as we had an emergency visit to the dentist yesterday. A crown came off over the weekend and unfortunately the root is too badly broken up to put it back. However, since I found the crown, I said no more chocolates until we see the dentist. I took out the toffees anyway, but some are still a bit chewy. We have another appointment for a check up on Friday and I've just removed all chocolate from sight. He's now snackiing on just fruit (apples) and cheese and doesn't seem bothered. After Friday if he doesn't mention it, neither will I!

I've been tracking for a few days now and he's getting about 50% of his calories from fat, about 50 - 60g of protein (which is better than I thought, the cheese helps) and it was about 130g of carbs but with the loss of the chocolate seems to have dropped closer to 90g and arround 25% carbs. And of course it's taken out the last source of dietary sugar. It will be interesting to see if moving closer to something low carb has any effects.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Going quite well, thank you. I'm pretty sure there's been an improvement since Easter but it's always difficult to measure. To be honest, he was diagnosed at age 90 and at that age, the average life expectancy is about 3 years so at 93 and at least holding steady, he's doing very well. Of course, most people aren't as fit as my father was to start with.

The difficulty with the coconut oil is the texture. I have been giving him small amounts just before I give him something he's keen to eat, like a banana. That way he's distracted from what's in his mouth by what I've just put in his hand. But it's a prop, I think rather than a cure, and it's the other stuff like low carb diet and providing plenty of raw materials for the brain to repair itself that will see improvements. Using it to cook with at least means reducing further damage due to PUFAs etc.

Sorry to hear about your nan and your parents attitude. Unfortunately, by the time most people get Alzheimer's they've become set in their ways so trying new things can be difficult. I'm fortunate in that my father was never really that bothered about food, so he's not too bothered what I feed him as long as it tastes good. And of course, when the disease is as widespread and devastating as Alzheimer's it can be very difficult for people to break away from CW or to go against the experts/doctors advice. Personally I felt what was there to lose, but if my brother hadn't understood I could have been over-ruled or at least pressured not to try it. I'm very fortunate.
    Glad it's going well yes I read your first post and saw what a great diet they used to have, it must have given him a good 'foundation' as it says a lot that he got to 93 in the first place! My nan could be surreptitiously fed coconut oil easily as I don't think she even knows my name now - if it was up to me she and my whole family would be full primal! But, it's not my decision.

I wish you and your family all the best

No great advances. I'm continuing on with tracking my father's calorie intake and macro ratios. The chocolate has not reappeared since being removed and he's made no comment on this, so I'm leaving it well alone.

At the moment we're going through a period of regularly disturbed nights, but he's much more lucid at these times than he has been. Even from early on, middle of the night disturbances were often from dreams that he'd wake from and be unable to distinguish from reality. Currently it's much more that he's awake and wants to know if anybody else is up. When it's pointed out (like at 3am) that it's still dark outside and thus everyone is asleep, as he should be, he seems to accept that fairly quickly.

Fortunately when it gets to the morning and being light at 5am (!!) he seems okay with going back to bed because I'm not up. Not sure why this doesn't occur to him when the house it dark and it's dark outside. In any case, I do feel that the fact he listens to and understands me is progress. He also apologises for waking me, once he understands he has done so. It's not easy to find a balance between being willing to be woken if he needs me and being frustrated at him not being able to see that 'dark outside' = 'middle of the night'.

And we're not even into summer yet.

So a week or two ago, I went back to the Alzheimer's forums where I'd been hanging out. When it seemed that father was on a one-way journey, this community was a great help. I would read threads and be forewarned about what might be in the future. I would see how father's behaviour compared with others and feel that we were doing well and that I had much to be grateful for in his personality and the way he was reacting to the Alzheimer's.

When I realised that things we were doing were making a difference, I lost the urge to hang out in a place where constant deterioration was the overarching theme. I was also uncertain about saying anything about what we were doing, because these forums are very much centred on CW and on advice from doctors. Even though new research is sometimes discussed, the forum in general is somewhere that people are waiting to be told what to do. Very few people are reading for themselves, let alone trying things to see if they help.

I knew the CW view of removing wheat from my father's diet would be disapproving and lowering carbs in general – despite all the Type 3 Diabetes references – would probably be decried as 'dangerous'. And yet I felt that as it had helped Father, I'd like to share our experiences, just in case it helped someone who perhaps was at an earlier stage and could make their own choices. After all, the usual problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's generally from a complete stranger on the internet and personal testimony within a community has to be more significant – surely?

Eventually I saw a thread about Coconut oil, but it had deteriorated into a CW vs 'dangerous untested woowoo' thread and I was reluctant to jump in. A shorter thread started about Saturated fats and Coconut Oil, so I put in a post about our experiences, not just with coconut oil (which we use more as a healthy neutral fat source than a supplement), but with removing wheat and the issues of saturated fat. I think I posted 3 times. The thread has now devolved into a back and forth between those who view giving relatives coconut oil as 'dangerous and irresponsible' and those who are saying we have tried this and this is what we have found.

Needless to say, I shall not be returning to that forum. The 'holier than thou' attitude of people who smugly sit and do only what their doctors tell them to do is very disturbing. Even more annoying is their smug certainty that anyone posting does not have the necessary training or education to understand the research and evidence for themselves. I'm so grateful for the MDA approach of discussing differing viewpoints and bouncing the links to actual studies around. In addition, the attitude here of – everyone's different, so YMMV, is exceedingly supportive.

So thank you, everyone, for just being here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm reading Dr Mary Newport's book on coconut oil and it's convinced me to actually try pure MCT oil. Because it's pure MCT, it needs a smaller amount to get the same dose. I suspect my small doses through the day have helped but not given him a big enough boost to help to lift the brain fog at all. I know that's what he struggles with and he's more aware of it now than he was and sometimes is quite upset/frustrated by trying to think and not being able to. So I'll be ordering from amazon and giving it a try.

One effect of my parents' fairly clean diet is that my father doesn't really like thick drinks. Smoothies and milk shakes etc would all have been too sweet for him previously, so trying to get 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into anything that will make it easier to get down is difficult. Dr Newport uses her husband's porridge, but having had such gains by removing grains, I'm not going back there. The only other option I can think of is ice cream as he does like that and if I could get it right would eat it almost any time. And of course the coconut oil chocolate option. I really need to work on both of those.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast