Thread: Looking for non-diet related inspiration :) page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Non-diet related inspiration :)

Primal Fuel
    For the last year I kind of rail-roaded myself into various dietary dogmas, and part of what I want to integrate into my life is more inspiration. When I'm inspired, I feel a lot more confident and content. Seeing beyond the small boundaries of my individual life generates hope and positivity (for me anyway).

So, question: what inspires you to live a better life?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-29-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A long time ago I got really into reading books and anthologies of solo woman adventurers and travelers. Many times they are conquering inner problems at the same time. One of the books that inspired me most was by a woman who had eating disorders and drug abuse problems and she went on to become a mountaineer and climbed Everest. Another really good one was about a woman who went to the north pole all by herself. Then there was a whole book of short stories of women who did things like kayak in Alaska or do a bike ride of New Zealand. And another one was by a woman who left her husband and decided she would be a modern nomad and just travel the whole world. She spent 8 years in Bali at one point.

I was so inspired by women who not only do these high adventures but they do not wait to live their lives. It made me decide to just live my life. I started with a 12-step program to work on my inner demons. Then I did an overnight backpack trip in my local mountains. I had bad dreams of bears and gas leaks all night, but I triumphed over my fears. Nothing stopped me after that. I ended up trekking in Nepal and eventually solo hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.

I just look at all the things I do now as adventures. Even this Primal Blueprint thing has been another kind of adventure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A long time ago I got really into reading books and anthologies of solo woman adventurers and travelers. Many times they are conquering inner problems at the same time. One of the books that inspired me most was by a woman who had eating disorders and drug abuse problems and she went on to become a mountaineer and climbed Everest. Another really good one was about a woman who went to the north pole all by herself. Then there was a whole book of short stories of women who did things like kayak in Alaska or do a bike ride of New Zealand. And another one was by a woman who left her husband and decided she would be a modern nomad and just travel the whole world. She spent 8 years in Bali at one point.

I was so inspired by women who not only do these high adventures but they do not wait to live their lives. It made me decide to just live my life. I started with a 12-step program to work on my inner demons. Then I did an overnight backpack trip in my local mountains. I had bad dreams of bears and gas leaks all night, but I triumphed over my fears. Nothing stopped me after that. I ended up trekking in Nepal and eventually solo hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.

I just look at all the things I do now as adventures. Even this Primal Blueprint thing has been another kind of adventure.
    Thanks for sharing that sbhikes I love reading biographies too. I read "A million little pieces" by James Frey a few months ago and it was an amazing insight into addiction.

Funnily, it's not the big things that I find difficult to get inspired about: it's the little things. I travel quite a bit and get involved in exciting, fulfilling projects, but find it hard to seize the every day. Which amounts to living for the future, not the now, cos' it's impractical to do big things all the time.

It would be nice to start each day with a reminder of why each day counts.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I found this great site, with links to 100 inspiring speeches, from people like Martin Luther King, Steve Jobs, and the Dalai Lama. All available for download! Onto my ipod they go.

Top 100 Free Motivational Speeches, Lectures, & Podcasts

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Hobbies! Fishkeeping, ponies, things with lots of species, sports and morphs! Insects, amphibians, cars, humans, breeds of dog, pigeon and horse! OMG categories of categories of categories with criss-crossed if's and's and but's non-stop! Hell, start with JUST GUPPIES and you'll be busy for a few weeks just learning about varieties that exist, let alone how easy and fun they are to selectively breed and fix new traits in.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    The Will to Power. I identify in my environment how individuals are routinely thwarted and diminished by forces that they do not understand, and internalize a resistance to this evident and very sad condition.

So I would say, "spite" is a short answer. I like to meditate on the faces of assholes that I hate who believe themselves better than me for artificial and arbitrary reasons of distinction that have nothing to do with their innate talent or value, and then think of how great it would feel to overpower them and smash their head against shit.

Also, my 5 year plan. I am only a year and a half into it, but keep my third-eye on that prize. In 4 more years I will be super-hot peak-man'ness man who need only flex to revolutionize monogamy for the domesticated classes. Don't got no time on this rock to be a regular-ass honorable mention.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    (also psychedelic introspection)
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for sharing that sbhikes I love reading biographies too. I read "A million little pieces" by James Frey a few months ago and it was an amazing insight into addiction.

Funnily, it's not the big things that I find difficult to get inspired about: it's the little things. I travel quite a bit and get involved in exciting, fulfilling projects, but find it hard to seize the every day. Which amounts to living for the future, not the now, cos' it's impractical to do big things all the time.

It would be nice to start each day with a reminder of why each day counts.
    I stumbled on this really good article that kind of put the small things into perspective for me. It's hard to remember this every day, but if I can just learn to do this, I think it would make a difference.

Mindfulness lives in the sink
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3