Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying this lifestyle and not feeling good ???? page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Trying this lifestyle and not feeling good ????

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I recently learned about this book doing an on-line search for gluten free, dairy free. I have the book, which I have been reading and just checking out this blog/forum. I have tried a few days of eating this way and I find I am hungry, tired, and depressed. Is this normal? I thought this was supposed to prevent those things, but I feel like crap. Any help would be appreciated.

Dagny is offline Member
    You're probably experiencing the low-carb flu. It should only last for a few days until your body adapts, but it could last a couple of weeks.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    You need to give your body some time to adapt to the new situation. Make sure that you not only limit carbs and cut all grains and refined sugar, but also that you keep eating adequate protein and quite some fat (you want healthy animal fat - meat, butter, cream - or healthy vegetable fat - coconut, avocado, olive oil). Depending on your age (older people take a bit longer to adapt) you should give this diet at least 2-3 weeks. My guess is though that your energy levels return to normal after a week. But as I said in the beginning: Try not to cheat, especially during this "induction phase" ... or "carb flu", as some people call it.

TimActor is offline Junior Member
    Dagny is right, Betty! It lasted about a week for me.

Just get heaps of fats into you...it will be over before you know it and life will never have been so good.

Tim :-)

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    Your body takes a while to adapt to burning fat as its main fuel source. Often refered to as the "low carb flu", its the period of adaptation that takes a few days to get through.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I will try that. I am 35 and was doing the Eat Clean diet prior to this. I went 3 weeks without gluten and then added it back in. I am intolerant! I limit dairy to cheese, basically feta and occasionally pizza. I was told I am intolerant of dairy as well as gluten. The only carbs I was eating was basically brown basmati rice so it seems odd that I would get the LC flu, but... I have done LC in the past (Atkins, South Beach) and felt great so this is kinda weird.

I use coconut oil to cook my foods in and sometimes add it to smoothies. I love avocado's and eat about 1/2 of one when I have a salad.

This is really irritating me because I was starting to feel better and now feel awful again. Trying to figure out how to eat, feel good, and lose weight is really getting me down. I have lost lots of inches working out and eating clean, but the weight just doesn't seem to move. I am guessing there are some foods that I eat that are possibly contributing to it. I didn't notice any big improvements not eating gluten, but noticed how rotten I felt when I added it back in.

Thanks for the advice. Any tips are appreciated.

Wngdwolf is offline Junior Member
    Hang in there Betty! You will feel better! It's natural to feel crappy for a while because you're detoxing from your previous lifestyle. It can even be a couple of weeks, depending on exactly how bad your diet had been. You might even want to support your liver and kidneys with some dandelion tea. But research it fist to make sure it's right for you.

Suggestions: eat raw fruit for breakfast, and wait a half an hour before eating protein. Raw fruit is very cleansing. It will help you detox. Raw spinach in salads is excellent for the brain chemistry, so having it in a salad every day or even 3 times a week will help, too.

Personally, I cook with grape seed oil It's light, not so heavily caloric, and it has a very high heat tolerance so it won't go rancid on you while cooking with it. A naturopathic physician recommended it to me.

"Don't quit before the miracle happens!"

- Wngdwolf

Bern is offline Member
    hey there betty, I had a similar experience when I first started - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t-feeling-good
    With a bit of persistence I am feeling better, have more energy, aren't hungry all the time and my headaches that were almost constant the week that I started that post have subsided. The PB lifestyle promises a lot, I think it deserves a decent attempt. I was originally only going to give it a month to decide whether it is for me, am now nearing my second month and am only just thinking now that I'm onto a good thing! good luck with it

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Hi Betty. I went into carb flu after about three days and it's lingering, little runny nose, but I can tell I got it whipped, because I didn't just feel good today, I felt friggin' GREAT! I felt like my old self all day, and I don't mean how I felt before getting with the program. I mean how I felt 12 years ago. Two weeks in and I have some really impressive results. When I was at my worse my sis said anything that makes you sick is bad for you. Well today I did her brakes and was doing pushups on the driveway just because I felt GREAT!

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Betty,

The first 3 weeks were rough for me no energy, afternoon headache, and such, I really don't think I was eating enough. But after that I felt and continue to feel great. I'm 37 but seriously I feel 19 again raging hormones and all. I started the day after Christmas, the pictures were too much to handle I am down 45 lbs and have endless energy. It is worth your time to go through the "low carb flu."

One thing to consider is if you are exercising cut out all exercise except for possibly walking until you feel better. I didn't do any exercise other than long walks for the first month, and really just started adding in high intensity exercise about 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Kev; 05-13-2010 at 07:08 AM.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast