Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying this lifestyle and not feeling good ???? page 2

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Definitely make sure you're getting enough fat. It was mentioned above, but I thought it deserved a spotlight. have a salad and add avocado and olive oil dressing... add butter to veggies... add a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee. One of the things I noticed is that I was so unused to using fat, that when I cut out carbs I didn't add enough fat to use for energy. And that can contribute to the tiredness.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    I had a bad first two weeks because I went too low on carbs at first, <40 grams. I ramped back up to 80 grams or so by eating a banana here or there and lots of veggies, no grains or starchy veggies, with dinner and I immediately felt a lot better. I was thinking I would take the carbs back down after I adjusted but I'm losing weight anyway so I don't really see the point.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the replies! I have been pretty good sticking to the PB diet the last few days. I went to Chinese last night, which I am sure is not really considered primal, but I made the best choice I could. I had cashew chicken which had lots of veggies, cooked chicken, and a sauce. I did not have the rice with it.

I do workout daily. I am in Phase 2 of p90x. I have a protein shake with a banana after my workouts. I know they are higher in carbs, but I figure it is okay since I am burning a lot of calories plus I take Diatamaceous Earth and I can't stand my smoothie without the banana. I have tried other fruits and they just don't cover the taste or texture.

I have lost of pound or two. My weight fluctuates constantly but I got down to 146 and I haven't been able to do that in months. It seems to be staying to the lower end of my fluctuations.

I am having trouble sleeping again, but my MIL is in town and I am stressed so that may be the reason for that.

I do have a question about stevia. I use it to sweeten my coffee and in my smoothie. Is it okay?

I am adding avocado as someone suggested and also goat cheese to my spinach salads. I am trying to avoid most dairy although I just bought heavy cream for my coffee. I will try to find a goat cream if that is even available next time as my acupuncturist thinks I may be allergic to dairy.

Anyhow, thanks for all the welcome and help.

Well I blew it on the weekend. I can't seem to stay on track no matter what type of diet I am following when it comes to the weekends. I am back at it for the week though.

I have been having heavy cream in my coffee and haven't felt very good in the mornings so I am going to switch to tea and see if that helps.

My weight is back up after the weekend of eating some carbs. I can't seem to eat anything with gluten or liquid dairy without gaining a few pounds. One would think I would learn, but apparently I haven't made myself miserable enough yet.

I do feel like my belly is puffier when eating this way. I don't like that and am hoping that will change.

I need to finish reading the book also and maybe actually track calories/carbs, fat/protein for a while and see if I am okay.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    Well I blew it on the weekend. I can't seem to stay on track no matter what type of diet I am following when it comes to the weekends. I am back at it for the week though.

I have been having heavy cream in my coffee and haven't felt very good in the mornings so I am going to switch to tea and see if that helps.

My weight is back up after the weekend of eating some carbs. I can't seem to eat anything with gluten or liquid dairy without gaining a few pounds. One would think I would learn, but apparently I haven't made myself miserable enough yet.

I do feel like my belly is puffier when eating this way. I don't like that and am hoping that will change.

I need to finish reading the book also and maybe actually track calories/carbs, fat/protein for a while and see if I am okay.
    Maybe you have a problem with dairy more than coffee. Try cutting out all dairy and see what happens.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member
    Definitely stick to it - it will be so worth it!

I too started out on PB back in October 2009 with a gluten and dairy intolerance. Through trial and error I have realised that I can have a little bit of cheese and a little cream, but absolutely no gluten at all (I won't go into details). So, no bread, pasta, rice, crackers, cakes, etc. I don't really miss the things I can't eat because they made me feel so rubbish beforehand (and SO bloated) that it's not worth it.

I definitely agree - you will need to up your fat intake when cutting down the carbs. it feels counter-intuitive at the start, but it does work. As for feeling awful - I didn't get that in the beginning, but I've just gone back onto 100% primal (from 80/20) to give myself a boost and the first few days I had a constant headache, felt lethargic, miserable and was (apparently!) very grumpy. Push through it - it will be worth it! I feel fantastic now.

As for losing weight/inches. You will. I did and I always thought I was destined to be overweight and wearing a fat coat over my muscles (I have been religiously weight training for a couple of years). Finally, I have proper definition and a proper hourglass figure. The results are definitely, definitely worth it.

The trick is, not to beat yourself up over the odd slip. It hasn't ruined anything - this is a way of life, not a diet. And we're all here to provide help, support, empathy, sympathy and congratulate you when you have successes.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Betty,you said after you work out you take Diatamaceous Earth?? We use that for bedbugs and you're not even supposed to breathe the stuff! Why?

The stuff I take is food grade and for human consumption. If you google it there are tons of testimonials. Personally, my nails and hair grows fast, my nails are much stronger, I am not as aching as I usually am, my hubbies blood pressure was not as high (but he got lazy and quit taking it), my skin isn't as dry. It is good for many things. I brush my teeth with it sometimes also and it leaves them so clean, like I was just at the dentist. It has many uses, but if you are going to consume it you need to make sure it is food grade.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what to make of your comments. First of all, you say that you know you're gluten sensitive, yet you keep eating gluten (chinese, pizza). Then you wonder why you gain a few pounds and feel miserable. Then you get hints that you may be allergic to dairy, too (which is not that uncommon for gluten-sensitive people) but you keep eating cheese - and again you wonder why you're not feeling great.

Newsflash: If you know that something's not good for you - don't eat it. I know how tempting it can be, but if you do end up giving in to your temptation, please don't pretend not not to know why you're feeling bad.

PrimalCon New York
    Mike- I just recently learned I was intolerant to gluten and the acupuncturist thought dairy maybe an issue as well. Since I don't eat a lot of dairy I was not sure. Since adding heavy cream to my coffee I have determined that it is definitely a trigger and eliminated it. I have not seemed to have any reaction to cheese, but I have eliminated all but goat cheese, which does not cause issue for most people.

I believe my comment was regarding pizza in the past not since eating primal. And in regards to the Chinese I stated I made what I thought was the best choice. I was with other people and did not have the liberty to refuse to eat where they chose. If I had gluten it would have been in the sauce as I did not eat the rice.

I was feeling like crap from the low carbs. My body has adjusted. My post was regarding feeling like crap while beginning to eat primal. I am not sure why you feel the need to attack me. Yes, I have had a few cheats since beginning this and I have taken responsibility for feeling yucky due to eating something I shouldn't. AGAIN this POST was about feeling like crap while eating the way the plan suggests.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast