Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Backing Up on Paleo page 9

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I actually agree with TTT. By definition Primal tm is a low carb approach. The carb curve is right there for all to see. But, it is definitely open to interpretation for athletic performance and such.

Paleo on the other hand, not so much. It's a slightly larger umbrella.

Then you got the Ancestral Health Movement.... probably the largest umbrealla of all as it can encompass WAPF, paleo, and HG and other societies.

Thats actually why when asked I usually just say I eat Primal.... even though I may not be Primal tm (and I just rather say I eat HG) I think it give the closest approximation of my daily meals of whole foods with an eye toward keeping "relatively" low carb.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Folks might be confusing description and prescription here.

SAD = refined fat + refined carb
    Primal = unrefined fat + unrefined carb

All fat is by nature hydrophobic (H2O fraction = 0%) so exchanging bad fat for good fat--while tremendously important and beneficial--won't affect the energy content of your food.

By contrast, a defining feature of refined carbs is dehydration which multiplies the energy density tremendously. Cereal/bread/chips have ~3x more carbs per bite than a banana or potato and ~5x more than other stuff like beets and squashes. Our eating behavior doesn't run on a simple calorimeter so we inevitably take in more.

So anyone who switches to unrefined food is probably going to drop a lot of carbs even if they neglect to track them.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Folks might be confusing description and prescription here.

SAD = refined fat + refined carb
    Primal = unrefined fat + unrefined carb

All fat is by nature hydrophobic (H2O fraction = 0%) so exchanging bad fat for good fat--while tremendously important and beneficial--won't affect the energy content of your food.

By contrast, a defining feature of refined carbs is dehydration which multiplies the energy density tremendously. Cereal/bread/chips have ~3x more carbs per bite than a banana or potato and ~5x more than other stuff like beets and squashes. Our eating behavior doesn't run on a simple calorimeter so we inevitably take in more.

So anyone who switches to unrefined food is probably going to drop a lot of carbs even if they neglect to track them.
    that's super interesting to think about... I've never heard anyone discuss that before.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789