Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Backing Up on Paleo page 8

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I still don't understand why people think primal or paleo= low carb. I think SAD and CW= very high carb diets. Extremely high carb.

Primal or paleo is not some excuse not to eat fruits and vegetables. I don't know why people who eat primal or paleo are paranoid about fruit and vegetable consumption.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I still don't understand why people think primal or paleo= low carb. I think SAD and CW= very high carb diets. Extremely high carb.

Primal or paleo is not some excuse not to eat fruits and vegetables. I don't know why people who eat primal or paleo are paranoid about fruit and vegetable consumption.
    Primal/Paleo does not = low carb.

But for some of us HFLC works, and we like it.

We all have to find our own groove where we feel and function the best.
    Real natural whole foods... meats/fish/shellfish, vegetables, roots/tubers, fruits, nuts, and dairy if you tolerate it.

There is a whole range of macro spreads that can be worked out from those things to suit every individuals needs.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Since then I have listened to my body’s hunger signals, forgiven myself for eating at any time and in any amount I would have beforehand considered negative, gained ten pounds,
    LOL @ people who starve themselves. Idiots. I grew up hungry, always hungry, ate all the food I could find ever because there was never enough. This must be a rich people problem, eating too little. Fat beats hungry any day, this should be obvious from birth without any social influence at all. And you can't blame the types of food you weren't eating enough of for your problems. Rule #1 of being alive = eat ALL the food, and then some extra. Then play, work, and live hard to be strong.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Primal/Paleo does not = low carb.

But for some of us HFLC works, and we like it.

We all have to find our own groove where we feel and function the best.
    Real natural whole foods... meats/fish/shellfish, vegetables, roots/tubers, fruits, nuts, and dairy if you tolerate it.

There is a whole range of macro spreads that can be worked out from those things to suit every individuals needs.
    This. Paleo and primal are about working out what works best for you. N=1 experimentation and all.

Some people need high fat, low carb diets and some people need higher carb, lower fat diets. The great part of paleo and primal is that you can totally adjust it to your needs. It's not a "one size fits all" perscription like Atkins or the Ornish diet tend to be.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    This. Paleo and primal are about working out what works best for you. N=1 experimentation and all.

Some people need high fat, low carb diets and some people need higher carb, lower fat diets. The great part of paleo and primal is that you can totally adjust it to your needs. It's not a "one size fits all" perscription like Atkins or the Ornish diet tend to be.
    For me, the magic of paleo was simply learning to NOT be afraid of fat. For a while, I took that to another extreme, and feared carbs the way I used to fear fat in my CW days. It took reading the Perfect Health Diet, the Archevore blog, and info about a few other more moderate WOEs to realize that NO macronutrient is the devil that causes fat gain. There's probably a point where too many carbs aids fat gain, and the same with protein and fat... but finding a healthy balance is what's key. For perfectionists (raising my hand), it's easy to hear "low carb paleo" and think "ok, I'm doing this the right way. 40g of carbs a day for me. screw taking it slow." But it took me forever to comprehend that even eating 100g carbs is low-carb compared to most of the world.

One of the most eye-opening things I ever read on the forum was a comment that said (roughly), "the reason why Atkins works, and even low-fat diets work (at least as long as you stick with them) is because they ALL remove the same high-reward, low-satiety foods from your pantry -- Cheetos, Oreos, etc."

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I do not know these people but I will be googling them ASAP. I am one of those LC'ers who went that direction in order to contain disordered eating. I am physically healthy, but man, I want to be emotionally healed. Thanks for dropping the reference amidst the debating....
    Just to make sure you didn't misunderstand, those aren't people who specifically counsel eating disorders (although Matt Stone does, I think). They're more anti-low carb sites than anything.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    One of the most eye-opening things I ever read on the forum was a comment that said (roughly), "the reason why Atkins works, and even low-fat diets work (at least as long as you stick with them) is because they ALL remove the same high-reward, low-satiety foods from your pantry -- Cheetos, Oreos, etc."
    Sounds like something I might have said myself. I totally agree with that statement for sure. It's funny, there seem to be certain foods that all diets can agree on as being bad, but we spend so much time focusing on the differences between the diets that we neglect to note the similarities that almost all diets have.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

I disagree about primal not being low carb. I got the impression that it was low carb when I read Mark Sisson giving permission to eat a sweet potato if you run a marathon, or when he wrote the body only needs 30 grams of glucose per day, which can be provided by gluconeogenesis. I'm not alone in that impression. Most beginners seem to start in ketosis, and it's like pulling teeth to convince them it's not usually optimal or even necessary.

But this isn't anything I haven't said dozens of times already over the past several months. So in the interest of not wasting my entire weekend, that's all I'll say.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I disagree about primal not being low carb. I got the impression that it was low carb when I read Mark Sisson giving permission to eat a sweet potato if you run a marathon, or when he wrote the body only needs 30 grams of glucose per day, which can be provided by gluconeogenesis. I'm not alone in that impression. Most beginners seem to start in ketosis, and it's like pulling teeth to convince them it's not usually optimal or even necessary.

But this isn't anything I haven't said dozens of times already over the past several months. So in the interest of not wasting my entire weekend, that's all I'll say.
    it's "lower" carb, but lower =/= low.

Low, in the sense of Atkins is 25 grams or less of net carbs. Most docs and nutritionists will tell you that anything below 50 grams is in VLC territory.

On the other hand, Mark has said he eats 100-150 grams a day. Far less than most SAD eaters or low fat, high carb dieters but way more than what is usually defined clinically as "low carb."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And they all become less effective when they come up with "fat free" or "low carb" oreos, cheetos, etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast