Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Backing Up on Paleo page 6

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Respectfully this is bunk. Autopsies on pre-contact Inuit show severe osteoporosis. Also it is noted in Green land Inuit and other high northern people on traditional diets, that osteopososis is prevelant.
    A simple google search could confirm that.
    Do you have anything that shows their incidence of Osteoporosis on a traditional diet?

We all know indigenous populations have much higher rates of chronic disease on a western diet, diabetes being one of the main ones studied and in all cases when reverted to their traditional diet, their conditions either resolved or improven significantly, these interventions were generally from 6weeks to 3months.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I have heard a raw vegan diet has a tendency to reduce fertility for those who become severely malnourished. Something like voluntarily getting out of the gene pool.
    Seems like the Women lose interest and men lose the ability.
    I saw a Vid by a guy talking about how it didn't bother him, trying to justify it by saying we only need to have sex once a year.
    Don't know if it's specifically the Soy, Budhist monks use it to supress libido, or maybe it just the whole diet?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Seems like the Women lose interest and men lose the ability.
    I saw a Vid by a guy talking about how it didn't bother him, trying to justify it by saying we only need to have sex once a year.
    Don't know if it's specifically the Soy, Budhist monks use it to supress libido, or maybe it just the whole diet?
    I have heard of women who lost their cycle. In one sad story a woman who (clearly) had been harmed by her strict diet decided to go raw vegan to see if it would bring back her period so she could conceive. She was very enthusiastic, but lost a lot more weight she couldn't afford to lose.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Tim, were you just feeding meat?
    It was pretty much just raw meat and bones. I did give her skin on chicken, which might have been a mistake. I don't know what it was exactly, but the loose stools seemed to be a common complaint among the BARF crowd, so it wasn't just me. I think I'll keep her on mostly cooked food for a while. Doesn't seem to be hurting her.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I have heard of women who lost their cycle.
    I hear that happens to paleo women, too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I hear that happens to paleo women, too.
    Um, no, it's actually the other way around. Many women have used paleo to regain their fertility. Of course any diet that is too low in calories will compromise fertility regardless of macros.

All diets should tailor to the specific needs of a person as every one is different, perhaps you were underweight? And eating that much protein is alot unless you are trying to build muscle mass. I eat 50% protein but then I am currently sprint training to get back on the track and compete again.
    I was underweight before paleo but then I put on weight as soon as I went for the new diet and at the time I started exercising again. After about two weeks of this I decided to try intermittent fasting for two days. I only skipped a few meals and ate only when I was hungry, sure enough the fat started melting away leaving the muscle that had built up so now I'm leaner, stronger and healthier.
    And thats just over the past 3 weeks! So different methods I guess give you different results haha just work out what is best for you and dont forget, no one is forcing you to eat anything. If your not hungry and you are in a calorie defecit, dont feel the need to eat just because you technically have had enough calories. The body works in mysterious ways, just listen to it

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Um, no, it's actually the other way around. Many women have used paleo to regain their fertility. Of course any diet that is too low in calories will compromise fertility regardless of macros.
    I must have been dreaming all those times I read about women losing their period on this very forum. But it's not low carb's fault, they just weren't eating enough, despite the profound satiating effect of ketosis. They should have just eaten beyond the point of satiation.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I must have been dreaming all those times I read about women losing their period on this very forum. But it's not low carb's fault, they just weren't eating enough, despite the profound satiating effect of ketosis. They should have just eaten beyond the point of satiation.
    How many is "all those times" when you subtract women who had pre-existing eating disorders and/or amennorrhea?

It is very common for women who exercise too much and eat a restrictive diet (which out there means "fat-free") to lose their periods. Think "girl gymnasts". They recommend adding a small amount of fat to the diet, rather than increasing calories and putting on weight.

I don't know, Katherine, I don't make a habit of counting the people I see struggling with low carb. I'm not compiling a database. You can live in your comfortable paleo bubble all you want, but that's not going to change the fact that lots of people struggle on "the diet we evolved to eat". Guess who wrote this:

The thing is–the paleo diet became important to me. But because I was still stuck in social (and paleo!) norms about what a beautiful body was, I never accepted my natural form. I achieved 18 percent body fat, but at a great price. I was infertile; I had cystic acne; I had no sex drive; I never menstruated. I troubleshooted my health and tried a variety of both natural and pharmaceutical remedies for several years. Nothing worked. I didn’t give up. My last resorts–androgen-blocking drugs–ended up giving me insomnia and anxiety. Those are two innocuous sounding phenomena, but experiencing them was in fact debilitating. I would never wish them on anyone. Ever.

At that time, being pushed to the edge, I finally realized what an idiot I had been. For someone who spent the vast majority of her life saying ‘fuck you’ to society in one way or another, I had certainly been happy bowing down, genuflecting, and wringing the life out of my body in order to win at one of society’s games.

Not any more.

Over the course of one swift, terrifying, and liberating week, I kicked my need for social approval under the bus and never looked back. Since then I have listened to my body’s hunger signals, forgiven myself for eating at any time and in any amount I would have beforehand considered negative, gained ten pounds, cleared my skin, begun sleeping peacefully, and really embraced the philosophy I had always espoused to others but never been able to convince myself to believe. I had finally arrived. I loved my whole self, and I was never going to apologize for that again. Things have not been perfect moving forward, not by a long shot. But I am not looking back. I refuse to. And it’s about damn time.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast