Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 83

Thread: Backing Up on Paleo page 5

  1. #41
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,425
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    How about osteoporosis? The Eskimos have a relatively high meat consumption and also has one of the highest rates for osteoporosis. The Japanese people tend to eat 45kg of meat per capita while the US consumes upwards of 102kg. The Japanese have 30 CHD cases per 100,000 people while the US has 106.5 per 100,000 people.
    The Inuit (they have not been Eskoms for years which shows how outdated you ideas are) have issues with osteoporosis now because they eat too many grains....back in the day not so much.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  2. #42
    Patti's Avatar
    Patti is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    It seems as though Paleo has gotten very popular because it offered people a "go" signal to indulge in fatty meats and oils which resulted in rapid weight loss for overweight people because they went from a SAD to a whole foods diet.
    Possibly so, but speaking only for myself, when I cut out the grains and dairy while keeping lots of vegetables and fruits and increasing my intake of fatty meats and SOME oils, my overall health has improved tremendously. Previously I did eat a few processed foods, but most of my diet was from whole foods including many whole grains and legumes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    It's really fascinating for you all to lash out and call me a troll even though I stated my opinion because you are so insecure about your diet you feel the need to undermine mine.
    Paleo seems like a safe haven for people who want to believe vegetables and fruits aren't that great.
    Well they are.
    There are some folks who choose not to eat vegetables and fruits, while there are many more who do. Paleo/Primal is a pretty broad group that is very difficult to paint accurately with one brush. Certainly not everyone who follows this way of life is low carb, although for some that is their chosen path. While I see no reason to undermine your choice in diet, I do question why you are doing so to others. Live and let live.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    If the human diet uses carbs as it's first choice of energy, then shouldn't that be the most natural source of food?
    It is a good source of energy, but if a person is not thriving on them then it is not the best choice for that person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Maybe paleo is a excuse for some of you to ignore the nagging feelings that vegetables are the best source of nutrients.
    Just as many vegetarians ignore the fact that meats are a wonderful source of nutrition, some following paleo/primal choose not to eat vegetables. Neither has balance but that doesn't mean that either person has the nagging suspicion that they are missing something in their diet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    I believe some animal meat is fine, but I do not believe high consumption of fats and meat advocated by Mark is healthy.
    I believe Mark has succeeded in selling a fad diet for people who want to believe that eating a ridiculous amount of animal products is ok.
    You are welcome to your beliefs, respectfully, I disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    I don't know how you all can just ignore the fact that most of you are not fit at all.
    The small number of you are relatively fit and lean but most are ehh, not so much. Not trying to be mean but brutally honest.
    I hope this is a wake up call for you all to eat more vegetables and less fat cause is it really getting you anywhere?
    And it is because many of us have been unhealthy when unsuccessfully trying other ways of life that we get excited when we find something that actually works. Ample meat, ample fat, plenty of vegetables, and some fruit works for me. Finally, I'm at a point where I can approach getting fit because I have a phenomenal amount of energy and no pain for the first time in years. Being a vegetarian (2 years) and a primarily whole foods (including grains & dairy) omnivore for many years did not bring me to good health. The only time I was anywhere near this healthy was when eating very low carb for a few years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Thank you to those who wished me luck and I hope you guys the best too.
    I do wish you luck, and hope that you find a way of life that works for you.
    Last edited by Patti; 04-29-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar

  3. #43
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,899
    Mark never said to live on meat and fat, he has simply devoted more of of his words to defending them than he has in promoting vegetables. If you actually read Primal Blueprint, you'd know that. We crazy folk on this forum do not represent Mark, only Mark represents Mark. I do agree with him that the body prefers fat as a source of fuel, that's for sure. But Mark isn't the anti-carb nut you newbies think he is. He's perfectly okay with upwards of 100g of vegetable and fruit carbs per day! That's a lot of plant!


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  4. #44
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,056
    In this thread: Kool spends time attacking and criticising her understanding of what paleo is, and succeeds.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  5. #45
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,689
    Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. My 2 regularly strip my blueberry bushes and strawberry plants bare and one goes nuts for oranges! Both love apples, pears and carrots too. They will also graze on particular grasses, not in the commonly thought way to make themselves sick etc, but because the actually seem to like certain kinds.

    Much like how wolves will eat berries and herbs.

    I feed them mainly a diet of raw meaty bones and offal, with some fruit or veggies.

    http://www.auroraanimalhospital.com/...dog-eat-grass/
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  6. #46
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I tried my dog on a raw meat diet a while ago, and her bowel movements were gnarly. Ironically, pumpkin bound up her poop and made it look somewhat normal. In fact, that was a common recommendation on raw food dog boards. Now I give my dog cooked meat and starch, and she's happier than ever and actually pooping well.
    Tim, were you just feeding meat? I've found that on days I just feed my guys meat only (or rather the following day) their stools can be loose. But I usually feed meat in the bone, or at least include bone along with offal or muscle meat, after which their stools are small, hard and depending in how much bone they have had it can be quite crumbly.

    The occasionally get fruit or veggies added in and this tends to soften the stools a bit.

    But the results of the above do not compare with the huge sloppy stools the used to do in a conventional dog chow diet.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  7. #47
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    This is all pretty funny...
    I'm HFLC primal (because that's how I function best) and I still manage to eat enough servings of vegetables per day to put many "vegetarians" to shame (because I like them).

    Fresh whole natural foods.
    The ratios of meats, fats, veg, fruits, starch... that's up to you according to how your own body functions best. Not written in stone anywhere.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  8. #48
    twa2w's Avatar
    twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    The Inuit (they have not been Eskoms for years which shows how outdated you ideas are) have issues with osteoporosis now because they eat too many grains....back in the day not so much.
    Respectfully this is bunk. Autopsies on pre-contact Inuit show severe osteoporosis. Also it is noted in Green land Inuit and other high northern people on traditional diets, that osteopososis is prevelant.
    A simple google search could confirm that.

  9. #49
    Legbiter's Avatar
    Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    461
    The OP says he lost weight following primal, then he regains said lost weight (evil unicorns presumably) and lo and behold he's off to some whack fruitarian diet to lose the cruel fat he gained eating primal.

    Has Mark done a philosophical article about death clearing the evolutionary deadwood accumulating?

    Just wondering.

  10. #50
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    The OP says he lost weight following primal, then he regains said lost weight (evil unicorns presumably) and lo and behold he's off to some whack fruitarian diet to lose the cruel fat he gained eating primal.

    Has Mark done a philosophical article about death clearing the evolutionary deadwood accumulating?

    Just wondering.
    I have heard a raw vegan diet has a tendency to reduce fertility for those who become severely malnourished. Something like voluntarily getting out of the gene pool.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •