CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by travellingrhino View Post
    Body Weight was 209 this morning.

Theoretical 1RM is:
    Squat: 126.5
    OHP: 121
    Deadlift: 153
    Bench Press: 203.5

You are not strong enough to be on 5/3/1, or dicking around with that man accessory lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    You are not strong enough to be on 5/3/1, or dicking around with that man accessory lifts.
    So what should I be doing instead? I don't mind revamping my workout, but if what I have right now is wrong, what should I be doing instead?

I really just need something to get me to through May, when I return from France I am going to do Military Athlete On Ramp and then start Operator Sessions I think.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Without any intent to offend, I agree. You need what's called a novice linear progression. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Greyskull LP, etc... Especially Starting Strength.

5/3/1 is a very tailorable program, but in my opinion, it's best suited to intermediate or advanced programming. And as much as you can add to and subtract from the basic 5/3/1 template with Jim Wendler's blessing, you've taken it so far that it no longer resembles the program at all.

macnip is offline Junior Member
    Just to jump on the bandwagon, you are doing WAY too much. Dramatically increasing your volume of work won't dramatically shorten your timeframe for results. Pick a program, don't deviate from it, and realize less will most likely be more. My bet is you struggle with the same dilemma I do. Linear progression doesn't work real well with upper body exercises for me. I spent years training my upper body intensely while letting my lower body get it's workout through running. Linear progressio does wonders for my lower body right now though.

My advice, start a program like stronglifts (what I am currently doing) or Starting Strength and set your ego aside. Start light, get your form correct and go. Build out the program in Excel or anywhere you can chart where the routine will take you. Starting light doesn't seem half as bad if you look at where your numbers will be after 8-12 weeks.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Did you read Wendlers book at all? You're majoring in the minors. Way too much assistance, you need to eat and add weight to your big lifts and get stronger. Your core gets plenty of work staying tight through out the big lifts but if needed you should only do one ab exercise per session, conditioning should be hill sprints 2 times a week.

Squat: 5/3/1
    Asst: ( pick one exercise, then go home and eat)
    1. Hamstring/glute/back ( stiff leg deadlifts, glute ham raise, deadlifts, good mornings) 5x10-15
    2. Quad (Lunges, Leg press, front squat) 5 x 10-15
    Abs: ( pick one) hanging leg raise, plank, roll outs, doesn't matter.

Dead: 5/3/1
    1. Quad 5x 10-15
    2. Hamstring/back/glute 5x10-15
    ABS

Press: 5/3/1
    1. Bench variation or dips ( not both) 5x 10-15
    2. Row or pull variation 5x 10-15
    abs

Bench: 5/3/1
    1. Over head press ( always do this as an assistance exercise until you get super strong) 5x 10-15
    2. Row 5x 10-15
    abs

That's it. You are doing too much calf stuff and other bullshit that is a waste of your time, lift hard, eat and recover, get stronger. You don't need to hit every muscle get that stuff out of you head, big lifts are all that matter, and assistance is just that ASSISTANCE, if you want to body build go body build, if you want to do Jim Wendlers 5-3-1 program, then stick to the program, big lifts work all muscles, and don't go under 10 reps for the assistance it builds a strong base.

Thanks wolfman

Sent from my IS06 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree that you should read (or re-read) the book. Wendler says you should have a very good/very specific reason for every assistance exercise you do, or you shouldn't be doing it. The emphasis is on the big lifts, not all the variety.

Since you need to improve the main lifts I'd recommend the Boring but Big template. You'll do more of the main lifts and get better at them and you'll be absolutely spent when you're done. It's in the book but basically you do this each of the four days a week that you workout:

warm up
    3 sets of the main lift according to the 5/3/1 schedule
    5 sets of 10 of the main lift using 40-60% of your training max
    5 sets of 10 of an assistance lift of your choosing

That's it and that's a kick butt workout and it will help you become a better squatter, deadlifter, bench presser, and overhead presser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12