Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Doing a Carb Refeed - Any Tips? page

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member

Thinking of Doing a Carb Refeed - Any Tips?

Shop Now
    Just that really :-)

I have been pretty low carb (think I am usual well below 50g, maybe go over it occasionally but am often below 30g) so far and it's obviously been working well for me. I generally suit a fairly low-carb lifestyle I think. I have been experiencing gradual fat-loss (I don't do scales). I have been reading up though and I think I might benefit from a boost to my fat loss so I thought a carb refeed might be worth a try.

Am planning to stick with veg, fruit (inc bananas), potatoes and white rice for this. I am also planning to go lower fat than usual.

Does anyone have any top tips?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Sounds about right. My hunch would be to start with an appetizer of pickled or raw vegetables with a vinegar or lemon condiment to slow digestion. The liver and muscles can only take in glucose at a certain rate so you don't want a severe rush.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Zach is offline Banned
    Sounds good. Aim for little to no fat, as much carbs as you can handle and adequate protein. I have heard that a fast post refeed helps with not allowing any fat gain so i would structure it like this.

Morning of refeed, intense depletion workout, post workout start refeed until bed. At bedtime begin a 16-20 hour fast, return to normal eating post fast.

Doing this once a week is a really good idea for anyone eating VLC. Im not a proponant of LC but with occasional refeeds one should be able to avoid the dangers of a typical low carb diet.

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Sounds good. Aim for little to no fat, as much carbs as you can handle and adequate protein. I have heard that a fast post refeed helps with not allowing any fat gain so i would structure it like this.

Morning of refeed, intense depletion workout, post workout start refeed until bed. At bedtime begin a 16-20 hour fast, return to normal eating post fast.

Doing this once a week is a really good idea for anyone eating VLC. Im not a proponant of LC but with occasional refeeds one should be able to avoid the dangers of a typical low carb diet.
    I like the idea of this! I'm going to try this at some point.
    Dangers of LC eating? Don't u find you eat low carb being primal?
    How many carbs do u eat?

Zach is offline Banned
    I dont eat primal i just like to annoy people.

No but really i think that unless your are using a ketogenic diet for a neurogical disorder then you should always atleast have a refeed to avoid lowering thyroid and metabolism, a common problem with low carbers. Even Mark Sisson has written about this.

I eat probably 400-600g of carbs a day. I eat mostly primL foods but most people wouldnt consider me a primal eater since i think sugar mainly from fruit is the perfect fuel.

Thanks. So a high energy work-out of some description some time after digesting breakfast then!

I am nervous a little, but the odd time I have had a high carb indulgence I have not had any obvious crash lately so I think I should be able to take it OK. Will update afterwards.

Got to admit I am looking forward to a risotto!

Zach is offline Banned
    Doing the workout fasted would actually have greater effect for inuslin sensitivity and refilling glycogen stores.

The workout should be a glycogen depletion workout, hit all the muscle groups with lots of volume and little rest.

Doing this should keep you insulin sensitive so you can avoid carb crashes.

Ah - re-read your original post and realised I had misunderstood. Thought you meant refeed during morning, - you meant "n the morning of the refeed". Got you now! So worktout before breakfast. Think I can manage that!

Just thought I'd update this. I did my refeed day yesterday. Unfortunately it then turned out to be the first day of my period so it's going to be hard to unpick whether any bloating or whooshes are due to TOM or the refeed.

The good news is I didn't have any of the horrible hunger or shakes or exhaustion I expected from eating all those carbs and I would have done in the first few weeks of Primal so I will take that as a good sign that I am now a fully fat adapted beast and equally happy burning either fat or glucose.

I am definitely one of those people who does well on low carb so I was very nervous about doing the refeed. I really enjoyed my risotto, but the banana pancakes were just unpleasantly sweet and carbs at breakfast just felt so wrong. I just wanted a big plate of protein and fat! I kind of enjoyed the (healthy - low fat, beef fat, done in oven) chips as well but I'd have happily sacrificed them for a bigger fattier steak! The problem was it all felt a bit forced and I really struggled to keep fat to below 50g - in fact I gave up trying to count because I feeling miserable about it all and I didn't adopt primal to have to weigh out grams of butter in each pancake and do arithmetic over it. So I am fairly sure I didn't manage to go as low fat as Mark's article says I should.

The thing is it all felt so forced. I think I am in danger of becoming a bit orthorexic as it is, so doing forced things doesn't feel right to me.

So what I am now wondering, is could I get the thoretical benefits of a carb refeed by doing it in a less all or nothing manner? Could I just carry on VLC but then eat an occasional banana or risotto when I really fancied it, rather than having to plan to eat all those carbs and be low fat on a set day a week? Would this get me some of the benefits of a refeed whilst not being such a mammoth effort to a natural low-carber?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    IMO, do just that, deprivation is not the way to salvation.
    If you don't particularly have a need or desire to be in Ketosis, or your not training for a major competition, then just relax a bit, maybe just have a nice Carbie desert after dinner or alternate days, whatever suits you.
    The added stress is not giving you any benefit, you are eating healthy whether you have some carbs or not.
    I do think Ketosis is good, but not if you are fighting with it, likewise with trying to down a bucket of Carbs just for the sake of a protocol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast