Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy question page

celticprincess913 is offline Junior Member

Dairy question

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to this way of eating, I love it, I've lost weight, and I feel great. The Paleo Diet book was the first book I read on the subject, and now after reading The Primal Blueprint I have questions. I have been dairy free for awhile and just wondered if I allow myself some cream in my coffee or a bit of cheese with my eggs will it slow my weight loss alot? I have cut back on coffee but still have it, black.. ugh. This is from a girl who used to use equal and coffeemate ALOT!! Now I read that I can have a wee bit of cream, and even though that goes against The Paleo Diet I want it!! Is it really ok? I have stopped all grains, processed food, and dairy, I eat meat, fish, organic eggs, veggies and fruit, I have nuts and seeds on occasion. I have lost almost 10 lbs and I'm very happy. I have alot more to lose but I KNOW that it will be gone at least within a year or less, this way of eating is fabulous.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully you'll get lots of responses to your question, but don't expect everyone to agree. After you've been following the PB for a while, and reading this forum, you'll find most of us agreeing that what works for one person might not necessarily work for the next person, although it's helpful to gain the perspective. Also, what works for one person at one point, might not work as well for the same person at a later point. Confusing? Yes.

Personally, I include dairy on a daily basis. Mostly heavy cream and 1 oz of cheese most days, but not always. I never drink milk nor do I eat cottage cheese, and only once in a while I'll have full-fat yogurt. I have at least 50 more pounds to lose, and I'm trying to keep my fat ratio high, so I try to eat fatty grass fed meat and use butter on my vegetables and when frying meat, but the only way I can keep my fat ratio consistently high is by including full-fat dairy. I was on a plateau for several months, and consistently adding dairy to bring my fat ratio up is helping me to lose weight.

Other folks find that when their weight loss stalls, eliminating dairy works for them. Often, people with a lengthy Northern European background are okay with dairy, while other people are very sensitive to the effects. So, it's really individual.

Mark has a great post about dairy here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/

You may find some of this information from the PaNu site helpful (The PāNu approach to nutrition is grounded on clinical medicine and basic sciences disciplined by knowledge of evolutionary biology and paleoanthropology.)
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...ohydrates.html
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...se-weight.html

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    Personally I use dairy daily. I have heavy cream with my coffee in the morning. I brew my own kefir and prefer that to drinking milk. I made my own cheese for the first time this past weekend and it's really good too, but I still eat other cheese like cheddar and brie and will likely never stop. The only dairy I cut out was ice cream because it bothered me.
    ---
    ~Christine

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celticprincess913 View Post
    I have been dairy free for awhile and just wondered if I allow myself some cream in my coffee or a bit of cheese with my eggs will it slow my weight loss alot? I have cut back on coffee but still have it, black.. ugh. This is from a girl who used to use equal and coffeemate ALOT!! Now I read that I can have a wee bit of cream, and even though that goes against The Paleo Diet I want it!!
    1) dairy consumption had no place in our diet during the period of evolutionary adaptation.
    2) it's problematic and inflammatory for many individuals
    3) it's easy and yummy
    4) i give it to my kids - with reservations
    5) for me cheese/milk = increasing CRP, sore joints etc
    6) however, ream in my coffee, occasional ice cream aren't problematic

Often, people with a lengthy Northern European background are okay with dairy, while other people are very sensitive to the effects. So, it's really individual.
    7) whey protein - even daily - seems to be not only fine for me but fantastic for me in spite of it being - oh, you know - the most biologically inappropriate form of protein possible when viewed through a paleolithic lens. o_O

Try it out and see how it goes for your body. It'll either work, or not work, or some variation depending on dose

Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-11-2010 at 08:11 AM.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i agree with sharonll. you'll definitely find conflicting opinions on a lot of things on the forum. people have different things that work for them while others did the exact opposite and got the same results! it's mostly about personal trial and error i think.
    for me, i eat dairy daily. whole yogurt and milk, cheese, and cream in my coffee. i have no problem digesting it. i find that the whole yogurt often helps me add fat to some of my meals that otherwise wouldn't have any and would therefore leave me feeling hungry quickly. i've been completely primal for over a month now (so i'm new too) and was totally freaked out by buying whole dairy. i thought i would give it a try and see what happened. i noticed when i added the whole dairy products to my diet i began to slowly trickle down on my ounces on the scale in the morning. maybe try easing into it and see what happens?

mcasse is offline Junior Member
    It's a question of what level of dairy can you handle, not if you can handle dairy. Most all people can handle some lactose in their diet. But most people chug a large glass of milk and then scream bloody murder about dairy after they get all bloaty. Figure out what your body can handle, don't worry if Grok would have drank milk or not, your diet is individual, don't buy into one-size-fits-all that often gets espoused.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonll View Post
    Other folks find that when their weight loss stalls, eliminating dairy works for them. Often, people with a lengthy Northern European background are okay with dairy
    I so wish I was that person. My ancestors are a combo of scandinavian, northern european and mediterranean.

I can't help but wonder about the gene expression issue.....Vitamin D triggers or suppresses the expression of 300+ genes. I was a fetus during the winter in Michigan. I never have liked going outside and until a few years ago, had been chronically (and unknowingly) D deficient.

As I repleted my D, many food intolerances evaporated, allergies etc....though not all. I can't help but wonder about the role of fetal and lifelong D deficiency here.

Good grief, why coudln't I get some of the height of those scandinavians?!?! My grandma is tall, , my grandma's mom was tall (1/2 finnish, 1/2 danish), grandmas dad was a tall (irish), my dad has lots of tall relatives (the german ones anyway)

sigh.....

K

celticprincess913 is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much

Wow thanks so much, what great answers, yes I will ease into it, and actually cream is the only dairy I'm adding right now, no cheese, I really don't miss it, it was just the black coffee and tea that was hard for me. You are all wonderful, I feel most welcomed here. Blessings

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    IMO cream is not really dairy. Most problems with dairy come from either lactose or casein or other milk protein, and cream is pretty much only fat. Of course if you're allergic to lactose or casein you should try to avoid even trace amounts, but personally I don't have any problem with cream. As far as cheese is concerned: I still eat it, and will continue to do so until I encounter problems. BTW: Only this week a recipe for pesto was on the MDA blog that included Parmesan cheese ...

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i use cream, kefir & occassionally yogurt- no sour cream, no cheese b/c they dont work with me. IMO- coconut milk in coffee is good. try it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast