Thread: Large breast impact on BF? page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Large breast impact on BF?

Shop Now
    I am a slender (yet fat) 46 yr old female. I have a large bust (34DD) and I carry my excess fat around my belly.
    How does my chest size factor into my manipulation of body fat?

I currently am sitting at 27% and I would love to drop it down to 23ish. Not sure if that is reasonable for a gal with my sized chest.

Any advice on how to gauge body fat taking into account breast size?

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the breasts are used to measure body fat, are they? I could be totally wrong though.

I have a Withings scale that measures body fat. I don't use calipers.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The formula your scale uses will take into account your weight, which includes of course the size of your breasts, which are mostly fatty tissue. Any electric current will not be affected by the size of your breasts. The current does not pass through that part of your body.

I've given up the idea of measuring my body fat. All of the major measuring methods are seriously flawed when used on individuals, due to the unique distribution of fat any person may have, as well as other issues. I have a set of calipers I use to compare a couple of sites, which shows me whether I'm losing fat even though gaining weight (which happens). I just compare the appearance of my body with a chart that shows photos of individuals at particular body fat levels.

Thanks eKatherine.

Understanding BF is a new interest of mine. I have always been on the slender side (mostly) gained some weight in my early 40's, cleaned up my diet and have remained very steady for the last 6 yrs.

I have however realized that, while being slender, I am still fatish. So I dove into understanding BF and trying to learn how to shift body comp without losing weight, just fat.

I have been playing with my diet and have not been happy with the results...there is a fine line between learning and obsessing. I have hit the obsession point and I need to back off!

I am going to eat to the point of feeling good and having energy...food should not be on my mind all day! I need to up my carbs and keep working out. I will occasional measure my waist and hips to make sure I am not over indulging but otherwise I need to stop obsessing!

Just had to get that off my 'chest' hahahaha!

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dacec View Post
    Thanks eKatherine.

Understanding BF is a new interest of mine. I have always been on the slender side (mostly) gained some weight in my early 40's, cleaned up my diet and have remained very steady for the last 6 yrs.

I have however realized that, while being slender, I am still fatish. So I dove into understanding BF and trying to learn how to shift body comp without losing weight, just fat.

I have been playing with my diet and have not been happy with the results...there is a fine line between learning and obsessing. I have hit the obsession point and I need to back off!

I am going to eat to the point of feeling good and having energy...food should not be on my mind all day! I need to up my carbs and keep working out. I will occasional measure my waist and hips to make sure I am not over indulging but otherwise I need to stop obsessing!

Just had to get that off my 'chest' hahahaha!
    I would worry less about BF% and focus more on inches and how you look in the mirror. BF% still isn't really a science. Each method of measuring is going to give you a different number.

Healthy body composition change involves losing fat while gaining or maintaining muscle mass. The best prescription for that is a clean diet and heavy lifting.

Zach is offline Banned
    How tall are you? Shorter women with large breast seem to naturally have extra padding everywhere else even if pretty lean.

I am 5'7" weigh in at 120. Edited to add..my waist is 28" not sure what it should be.

I have decided to stop obsessing over BF and to instead eat plenty of healthy food, get plenty of sunshine and exercise and am working towards adding in weight training of some sort. Will start with body weight for a few weeks then advance to weights. I have been putting it off!

Zach is offline Banned
    Haha, yea at 5'7, 120 and double D's i dont think you have much to complain about.