Thread: Omnom and her primal noms page

omnomnivore is offline Junior Member

Omnom and her primal noms

Primal Fuel
    Just one reason why Omnom is going Primal and NEVER looking back:

I am addicted to wheat and sugar and it wouldíve killed me if I didnít change my WOE. In comparison to heroin or crystal meth itís not as hard of an addiction and would've taken longer to kill me, but at this moment my body cannot cope with eating grains or sugar ďin moderation,Ē just like alcoholics can't have "just one beer." Nowhere is this clearer than the inside of my broken microwave where I used to hide the empty packaging of junk food away from loved ones. Here is a list of just a fraction of the food-like substances I used to fuel my addiction (because itís all that would fit in the microwave):
    • grocery store lemon pound cake
    • Lofton house sugar cookies with the colored icing
    • 2 boxes of pop tarts
    • 2 bags of sweet sixteen doughnuts
    • large box of chewy chocolate chip granola bars
    • swiss rolls
    • nutty bars
    • pringles
    • little debbie's cakes

Frightfully unhealthy on so many levels. Before I take the bag to the curb, it will be shown to my girlfriend for her to see how truly unhealthy I was before and why this change is necessary.

I would go for fast food and pretend to be ordering for more than one person because I was that ravenous. My GF knew to steer clear of me when I was hungry because I became short-tempered, irritable and downright mean.

Iím going Primal because I understand now, after all this time, that my brain is connected to the rest of my body. Not only that, itís affected by my body, and more specifically, what food I eat. Itís an epiphany of epic proportions for someone who used to take a myriad of prescriptions and anti-depressants when all along my body just needed better nutrition and less carbs.

So when I think about what I told my new doctor, that Iím changing my eating habits by cutting out grains and sugar and he responded with ďBut grains are good for you! For example, eating oatmeal will lower your blood sugar,Ē I will remind myself of the bag of empty junk food packages sitting at my feet. Because hiding empty packages of cookies, cakes, and granola bars in a broken microwave is where eating extra-fiber whole wheat bread and old-fashioned oats has gotten me. Iíll just nod and say, ďhmm, I didnít know that,Ē and get on with what I now know my body needs.

Brenda_D is offline Member
    Welcome! It seems so simple that we should just know that the food we eat directly affects any medical conditions, and that we can heal anything with food. Yet, we're so conditioned to not listen to ourselves, to listen to 'the professionals'. I, too, turned to medications over and over for what would have been healed with cutting out sugar, dairy, and grain... and the addition of healthy fat (joints/brain function). At least we've come to this place now and can take our health into our own hands, and stop paying others to make us sicker. Good luck on your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by omnomnivore View Post
    I’m going Primal because I understand now, after all this time, that my brain is connected to the rest of my body. Not only that, it’s affected by my body, and more specifically, what food I eat. It’s an epiphany of epic proportions for someone who used to take a myriad of prescriptions and anti-depressants when all along my body just needed better nutrition and less carbs.
    "Wild cats look their best when they're hungry, so do you." - Ori Hofmekler

How I Came to Be Primal(ish)

I’d read about a paleo diet years ago, called The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility by Dr. Nancy Dunne and Bill Slater. When I was 16 I was diagnosed with PCOS, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and prescribed birth control, spironolactone, and metformin. At my heaviest I was 246 lbs at 5’10”, and after a few months of medication I was in the low 200s. I was happy to have lost the weight but suffered from side effects from the medications. Diet was never discussed. It was only suggested I go for a fifteen minute walk a day and presumably take those medications for the rest of my life, understanding the difficulty of conceiving, the high rate of miscarriages, and the increased risk for diabetes, endometriosis, heart disease, and cancer. Yipee.

I found the Natural Diet Solution book as a senior in high school but wasn’t ready to give up grains, or willing to accept that CW was so wrong about what people should be eating. Sadly I ignored it and kept eating the way I wanted.

I've tried lots of diets, Atkins, Four Corners, South Beach, Perricone Rx, and Eat To Live (Fuhrman). Fuhrman's ETL had to have been the worst. A low-fat low-protein diet does not make for a happy Omnom. Neither did a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb diet. I think Atkins didn't work for me because it emphasized leaner meat and allowed for artificial sugars which kept my cravings for sugar roaring. I wasn't able to sustain it, especially this January when my grandmother died. The grief and stress of her passing sent me into a depression out of which I've only crawled a month ago. I was unemployed, and would get out of bed only to move to the couch, where I would lay all day. I would self-medicate with junk food which I hid from the GF.

I found my way to PB by the way of intermittent fasting on the BBC documentary Eat, Fast, and Live Longer with Michael Mosely. I knew there were reservations about the effects on women of reproductive age who fasted, but I decided to try 5:2 for a week it as an experiment.

It taught me that I have no real idea of when I am hungry. I’ve abused my body for so long my stomach and brain are no longer speaking to one another. I’m hoping it’s only a temporary separation, not irreconcilable differences. During the fast I’d have a few food cravings, but it wasn’t actual hunger. After that week, however, I decided not to continue the scheduled fasting because it severely affected my sleeping patterns. My mind refused to relax and sleeping for four hours a night wasn’t sustainable. Someone on a 5:2 forum mentioned MDA as an alternative to 5:2 and after reading through the forums, Mark’s articles and his book, I find myself about a week and a half into eating primal-ish.

What I thought of as the signal for “hunger” is gone. Last Wednesday I decided to wait until I felt really hungry to eat and only ate 1/3 lb seasoned ground beef and a handful of macadamia nuts around 2 pm. It felt strange, but more for the fact that I wasn’t eating than I was depriving myself. I was definitely hungry for a large breakfast the next day.

I like being encouraged to drink when I’m thirsty, eat when I’m hungry, and to not feel guilty about that. It’s nice for a lifestyle to focus on listening to your body’s signals for what it needs, not forcing it to drink eight glasses of water and eat five small meals every day to prevent dehydration and "metabolic slowdown". I don’t freak out anymore whether each meal is perfectly balanced, because I know that it will even out over the course of the week. This is the most relaxed I've ever been after a dietary change. That in itself tells me it's the right way for me to eat.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome! I've been thanking my lucky stars since I've found MDA, I assure you.

And noooo I'm not ready to give up dairy yet. *cries* That's why I'm only Primal-ish at the moment. I decided once all the heavy cream, cheddar cheese and butter is gone in the house to not buy any more for a while and see how I feel. Omnom has to take babysteps or she'll have a tantrum and lord knows what she'll do.

Let them eat cake?

If only my family could shift its focus from food to something else. When we get together we eat. A lot. My new WOE is doubly disruptive to the equilibrium of family gatherings because I am also the resident cake baker/decorator. Iíve made some pretty mean creations for birthdays, weddings and special occasions, including the cake for my fatherís birthday last week. Baking and decorating his cake wasnít difficult. I had no desire to try the batter or the frosting, but did worry a bit about getting a contact high from the powdered sugar flying into the air as I ran the mixer. Everything smelled sickeningly sweet for a while and it was gross.

The difficult part was sitting at the table cutting the cake for everyone but myself. Who takes the effort to bake a cake from scratch and not have any of it? Iím considering relinquishing my cake baking duties to someone else in the family, or have others buy them. Itís partly because itís socially awkward but thereís another part of me that feels hypocritical making something to eat that I know is wreaking havoc on my loved oneís bodies. It will never be my place to tell someone what to eat or not, but I wonder if Iím being disingenuous by feeding my family something thatís harmful to them. I still enjoy the act of baking and decorating, so maybe it could become a rarer treat (we have lots of birthdays and special occasions) than it is now. Or maybe cupcakes. Thereís usually so much cake left over by the time itís gone thereís another occasion to celebrate. Any thoughts? Should Omnom continue to keep her family rich in cakes or no?

No thank you doctor, no Metformin for me

I got the results of my bloodwork back today and I can't believe it. I don't have anything to compare it to recently, (years ago my BG was in the 110-120 range and I was put on Metformin) but I know for a fact my FBG would've been through the roof eating the way I was not even a month ago. I mentioned the Little Debbies right?

*drumroll*
    Fasting Blood Glucose: 76. 76!!! That's normal! As in I'm not insulin resistant! I may or may not have just decorated that number and put in on my fridge.
    LDL: 109 - Nurse said "It's a little high..." Haha, no it's not.
    HDL: 40 - hmmm need to take fish oil I guess and exercise when I can*
    Triglicerides: whoops I forgot, I think it was 70 something. Certainly below 100.
    Thyroid: normal.

I hadn't been to a doctor in a couple (or 6) years. I was sure I'd given myself diabetes with the self-destructive way I was eating so I wasn't looking forward to the lab results. I was trying to gear myself up to taking Metformin or even beginning insulin -at least until PB did its work- but knowing my blood sugar is ALREADY normal astounds me. I'm going to celebrate with bacon. Lots and lots of bacon.

I want to lose weight and look better but having that confirmation that eating this way keeps my blood glucose in check means so much more than just getting skinny. Instead of Kate Moss' quote "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" for me it's "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". I'm going to keep that 76 on my fridge to remind me of that.
    Highest weight: 246 at 5'10"
    Goal: 170 lbs with waist under 33"
    Starting stats: 4/14/13 at 227 lb with 42" waist
    Current stats: 4/28/13 at 213 lb with 38" waist

Brenda_D is offline Member
    Congrats on the great lab results! Is there anything better than finding out you're no longer insulin resistant?