Thread: Newbie and chronic cardio victim! page

Viola T is offline Junior Member

Newbie and chronic cardio victim!

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I've stumbled across primal eating a while ago, but have only just embraced it. Apart from feeling tired for the first day, I haven't had any cravings and love the food! I already do a bit of IF so am hoping my new eating style will fit together with it nicely.

My problem seems to be running! I'm now around 20lbs heavier than I was before I started running. I also quit smoking at that time so initially put the weight gain down to that. However, 2 years on and my weight is still going up, despite having run my first marathon last October! I now have a much better understanding of why this has happened, and while I'm happy to cut back the mileage and replace it with more Grok-like activities, I'm a little sad at the concept that running may just be doing more harm than good. How do you primal runners find the balance?

I'll confess, I'm excited by the changes I have made and am interested to see how my body adapts!

djospina is offline Junior Member
    Just run much, much faster and harder than normal, and do it in much shorter distances

I LOVE sprints. The power I feel after them is remarkable.

vidic07 is offline Junior Member
    Love it.. hello and nice to meet you guy
    Last edited by vidic07; 05-02-2013 at 07:14 AM.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a runner...until I wrecked my knees training for a half marathon. Then I got myself a trainer and started lifting. Trainer kept telling me that running was doing me absolutely no good, but I wouldn't listen.....then I started seeing results from lifting and started loving it. My knees are now fine but I have absolutely no urge to run long distances. Lifting and HIIT all the way for me now.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Viola! There are still some of us that refuse to give up running and other endurance sports. Check out the Primal Blueprint for Athletes Forum.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! One of the fundamental ideas with Primal Living is to listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you really have the urge (physically) to run and it's not your mind telling you that it's what you SHOULD be doing, then by all means run. Run like the wind. As time progresses and your body adapts to your new lifestyle you might feel the need to give up running long distances. It'll probably happen gradually (just like the weight loss) and your body will let you know.

Viola T is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! I do some HIIT and love the buzz from it. I also have a crazy little terrier-collie cross who makes sure I get all my low level cardio and then some . Now I just need to add the weights and I'm good!

Still only days in but I already feel a huge difference in energy levels. Food wise my only problem is I'm making myself dizzy with which recipes to try first. Oh it's a hard knock life

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viola T View Post
    My problem seems to be running! I'm now around 20lbs heavier than I was before I started running. I also quit smoking at that time so initially put the weight gain down to that. However, 2 years on and my weight is still going up, despite having run my first marathon last October!

How do you primal runners find the balance?
    I think Mark really nailed it on the topic of chronic-cardio. Everyone is obsessed with running marathons these days, but it doesn't seem to do them any good. Carb up --> marathon --> recarb. Doesn't go anywhere...except trashed joints and high stress.

Personally I've loved running since I was a kid. So I sprint at the park when the weather is good, sometimes. Just for fun.

But as for long boring routine cardio, never again.

Rather lift some weights, 8x8 sets are my cardio. ^^