Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this diet complete? (Newbie) page

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member

Question Is this diet complete? (Newbie)

I was trying this new way of eating (and living and everything) and I was wondering if I was eating everything I could need, I'm 15 years old, so a restrictive diet is way more risky.

Well, just tell me if I am missing something, thanks.

Every day:
    2-3 rations of salad (with olive oil, lemon, crude onion, crude mushrooms and crude garlic)
    2 eggs (boiled)
    1-2 rations of almonds (without salt)
    2-3 rations of meat (grilled, mostly lean meat from cow, pig, chicken and turkey)
    1-2 rations of milk (cheese and sugar-free yoghurt included)
    ? rations of fish

Am I missing something? Thanks
    Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 04-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I would say you dont have enough food volume. Pump up the amount and variety of veggies, I would increase your fat intake and depending on your body type and activity level you likely want more protein too.

I eat 2 to 3 cups of veggies per meal either roasted, steamed, raw or fried in fat and coconut oil and spices. I am a big active adult male I eat about 200 g of protein a day if I can though sometimes I just can't eat that much.

We would need more information about you to say better but I would suggest staying away from the nuts and too much dairy for a while as you adapt to this way of eating. It is really easy to overdo them both and have them take the place of more nutritious foods calorie for calorie.

And if you can, read the book.

Hope this helps.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, it's exciting that you are choosing to adopt a healthy lifestyle at your age.

I think you have made a very good start, everything is wholesome and natural and good for you. The peanuts are not strictly primal (being legumes rather than true nuts) but I wouldn't worry about that. I give my 12yo peanut butter (only ingredients peanuts and sea salt) and it is fine for her, and even have a little myself.

I agree you could do with more veges. Three salads a day is a lot of work to get down, maybe one salad and get your other veges in another form such as roasted pumpkin/sweet potato, butter carrots and broccoli, fried onions and mushrooms etc. Lots of colour and variety, added fat for flavour and nutrition. Green veges are great with butter and bacon.

Your meat does not need to be lean, even if you are trying to lose weight, which you do not state. So you can choose fattier portions eg chicken with the skin on, streaky bacon, fatty beef etc. I don't know if you are grilling just because you are cooking for yourself, but it is very simple to do a one-dish oven bake with veges in the bottom, meat such as a fatty chicken thigh on top, herbs, spice cover and bake till cooked through.

I think the nuts and dairy are fine and should remain in your plan, add them to your salads, incorporate them in meal recipes, eat as snacks and desserts etc etc.

What I notice missing is fruit and berries. These can also be included as snacks, salad ingredients, or part of your meal, or dessert. They go well with yoghurt or cream.

Also, remember this plan will build your health even if you are only faithful to it 80%, it is ok to go out with your friends for pizza or cake once in a while.

Thanks for your amazing replies! That's too much information to digest it at once, I'll organize it.

"We would need more information about you to say better but I would suggest (...)"

About my physical condition I don't do basically any sport, unless you count sprinting instead of walking (in high school) and thinking for hours and hours count as sports.

However, I follow a polyphasic schedule, maybe you've heard of them, among other things it changes slightly what and when I can eat:

(Mondays to Fridays) Segmented Sleep | Polyphasic Society
    (Weekends) Dual-Core Sleep | Polyphasic Society (The first one)

"I would suggest staying away from the nuts and too much dairy for a while as you adapt to this way of eating"

OK, less nuts and less dairy, but how much dairy is "too much"? (In glasses of whole milk)

"And if you can, read the book."

I'll start tomorrow!

"The peanuts are not strictly primal"

OK, what about walnuts instead of peanuts?

"I agree you could do with more veges. Three salads a day is a lot of work to get down, maybe one salad and get your other veges in another form such as roasted pumpkin/sweet potato, butter carrots and broccoli, fried onions and mushrooms etc. Lots of colour and variety, added fat for flavour and nutrition. Green veges are great with butter and bacon"

Well, I just get some already sliced vegetables, clean them and prepare the salad, 1-2 minutes of preparation. Didn't pumpkin and sweet potatoes and carrots contain sugars?

(I'll add onions and mushrooms to my salads)

"Your meat does not need to be lean, even if you are trying to lose weight, which you do not state. So you can choose fattier portions eg chicken with the skin on, streaky bacon, fatty beef etc. I don't know if you are grilling just because you are cooking for yourself, but it is very simple to do a one-dish oven bake with veges in the bottom, meat such as a fatty chicken thigh on top, herbs, spice cover and bake till cooked through."

I don't want to lose weight, two years ago I was slightly overweight and now I'm very lean (due to metabolism not diet) so I'm not interested in losing weight.

So, more fatty meat, OK

"What I notice missing is fruit and berries. These can also be included as snacks, salad ingredients, or part of your meal, or dessert. They go well with yoghurt or cream."

I can't find berries anywhere, didn't fruits contain fructose? Are they necessary?

"Also, remember this plan will build your health even if you are only faithful to it 80%, it is ok to go out with your friends for pizza or cake once in a while."

Yes, though I don't like pizza and cake too much and I don't have friends

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Long as your eating meat and organs it will be complete. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is not the problem, too much sugar is the problem. So a bit in your coffee or some fruit each day is not a problem especially if you are not trying to loose weight. Many starchy veggies have a lot of sugar but not compared to a coke. So dont worry too much about the sugar in real foods though avoid like the plague the sugar laden processed foods.

The best way I have found is to cut out dairy all together for a month and then reintroduce it slowly so as to see if it really does affect you or not. Milk has lots of sugar built in and many kinds of proteins you might not react well to or be fine with.

The Rules of the game are really just guidelines with which you can fiddle and experiment to see what works best for you so dont be slavish to the rules or let anyone else tell you how it has to be. Find out yourself if more or less carbs more or less dairy more or less meat more or less veggies is where you look feel and perform best.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

(Warmbear)

So, I shouldn't worry too much about starchy vegetables and I should experiment if I can, got it.

Ideally I wouldn't eat (almost) any dairy, I'm pretty much sure it has at least a little negative effect on my health, what I'm worried about is calcium, what do you know about that? It's not like I want to risk my bone health actually...

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    If you think its hurting your tummy I don't think its worth keeping around for the calcium. There are better ways to keep your bones strong. If you really want, and its lactose that's the problem, a very old cheese like several year old cheddar has almost no lactose in it. I am horribly lactose intolerant and I can eat several year old cheddar though its not exactly a healthy choice.

Mark talks about calcium (specifically for ladies but the info is universal I think) in several posts, here is one
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Try to get liver and/or green pasture cod liver oil. Also if you can get raw dairy that'd be awesome
    well then

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    (Eig)(Gadsie)
    I'm worried that I cannot access green pasture cod liver oil nor raw dairy. And about leaving dairy still I can't find any food with enough calcium apart from almonds, and it's not like it's healthy to eat 200g of almonds a day!

Any other foods rich in calcium?
    Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 04-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast