Thread: New and struggling page

Jodie is offline Junior Member

New and struggling

Shop Now
    Hi
    I have been following the Paleo diet for nearly three weeks and have not lost any weight and I don't know where I am falling down.

I am 40 years old. I am 165cm tall and weigh 86kgs, or about 5,5" & 189lbs (ohh its sounds so much worse in imperial measurement!).
    I am hypothyroid, taking thyroxine. I did have both Grave's and Hashimoto's, but the Graves seems to have 'died out'. I also have fructose malabsorbtion (not to be confused with the far more serious condition of heridary fructose intolerance).

As a result of my fructose malabsorbtion, I ditched wheat about 5 years ago and was feeling ohh so much better, my IBS-like symptoms were all gone, but I let the wheat creep back and eventually so did the symptoms. Naturally.

Some time ago I watched a Gary Taubes lecture on YouTube and I was sold, a light went on. However, I just couldn't seem to make it work - dropping the carbs that is - I just didn't know how to go about it.

So, about three weeks ago, sick of my weight and fed up with my gym routine - that was leaving me exhausted and not helping at all with my weight battle - I took to the internet once more. I found the dietdoctor.com, where I heard the term Paleo, it rang bell, but I didn't really know what it was all about, so I jumped about the web a little more and eventually landed here. This is by far the best place I have found on the net - great information, and great, enthusiastic people.

I have also just taken up Crossfit, intro sessions done, I will attend my first class tomorrow - the big attraction there is also the enthusiasm of the people.

I have had no problem eliminating grains, legumes, veg oils, sugar, and most dairy from my diet. I have no problem adding in animal fat and I love meat. So, I am eating meat, including its fat, some full cream in my coffee (or coconut milk/cream) and a little butter or ghee in cooking ( I mainly cook with coconut oil now), but no other dairy. I am eating plenty (I think) of vegies. I am not counting anything (I just can't bring myself to do so - far too tedious). I have gone from 3 or 4 bears or glasses of wine a night to 1 beer and 2 wines in the last week. Wine is hobby in our household and hard to give up, so I am intending to abstain when hubby is away at work (fifo) and I will continue to have a few drinks when he is at home - that's 4 days out of every 14. I concede that this is not ideal - but I LOVE wine, and beer, but mostly wine.

I have no intention of going back to a SAD diet, but would really like to see some of my fat stores utilised! I have read everything I can on this site and have ordered The Primal Blueprint from my library. But I cannot see why I am not losing weight - fat! Can anyone offer a suggestion, please.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jodie. See this series by Chris Kresser. His approach is close to Mark's.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Jodie is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Hedonist2. I have spent over hour reading - am now exhausted, so much info. I have a lot of work to do, I think answers to questions I didn't know I had lie here. I will keep working through it all. Thank you so much.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    That is indeed an interesting series, thanks Hedonist.
    Good luck to you Jodie as you persevere to find what will work for you.