Thread: exercise vs being busy, and weight loss. page

mrsj111 is offline Junior Member

exercise vs being busy, and weight loss.

Primal Fuel
    I've began to notice a couple things regarding my weight loss. 2 years ago, I didnt work out that much, maybe an hour worth of actual workout time per week. today, i workout a bit more, though it varies a lot, sometimes 2-3 hours a week, sometimes around 6-7 hours(get those extra hours from trail running or bike rides)

i eat about the same as i did 2 years ago if its a bad day/week. but for the most part i eat a bit healthier.
    ive noticed that as far as body fat and weight, i havent changed really at all. got a little more muscle, but i weigh the same and seem to have just as much body fat as ive always had.

even on those weeks when i get plenty of exercise, if i overeat much at all i notice it, and dont seem to loose weight, even gain weight sometimes.

now, this last weekend when i had a little 3 day vacation, i noticed something, and im surprised it never really clicked with me before. but i spent the 3 days eating a lot and eating a lot of crap. hotel breakfast, buffet lunch with some healthy stuff but lots of unhealthy stuff, like cookies, bread, candy, etc.. i pretty much just ate whatever i wanted and lots of it. dinner was similar but a little healthier, though had carls jr. one night.
    the funny part is that after the 3 days, i had lost weight, felt lighter and better than i did before the vacation when i was eating very healthy and exercising quite a bit.

the only difference was my daily routine went from getting up around 8, just moving around a little bit, throwing a 45 minute or so workout in and getting to bed around 12. to getting up around 6, and from that time till about 5 or 6 pm, spending probably 50% of the time walking around outside, 20% standing, and 30% sitting outside.

ive also noticed that in the past when ive gone on this annual week long trip to a lake, ive ate absolute crap the entire time, smores like crazy, probably going through over a bag of marshmallows a week just myself, candy, bread, etc.. thrown in on top of regular pretty healthy meals. BUT i spend all day outside, walking around, swimming, wakeboarding, hikes, etc.. and ive also always lost a lot of weight on those trips, and felt super good.

is it like this for anyone else? i just find it crazy how effective just being up and about and outside is at shedding weight vs. a combination of healthy diet and exercise but spending most the day inside fairly inactive.

Now i just need to find a way to spend every day outside like that!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    "Moving frequently (at a slow pace) is the foundation of Primal fitness."
    Says so right on the box

Pretty great, right? Last week I switched up my workouts to jogging 4 times a day for 15 minutes each, spread out over the day. I lost 4 lbs. When I was doing the jogging all at once? Nada. Jogging for an hour a day but really, rather sedentary the rest of the day (unless weight lifting).....no weight loss over the course of a month. Jogging for an hour a day but spread out over the whole day.....4 lbs lost in a week. That was the only change I made last week; there was no change in diet.

mrsj111 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    "Moving frequently (at a slow pace) is the foundation of Primal fitness."
    Says so right on the box

Pretty great, right? Last week I switched up my workouts to jogging 4 times a day for 15 minutes each, spread out over the day. I lost 4 lbs. When I was doing the jogging all at once? Nada. Jogging for an hour a day but really, rather sedentary the rest of the day (unless weight lifting).....no weight loss over the course of a month. Jogging for an hour a day but spread out over the whole day.....4 lbs lost in a week. That was the only change I made last week; there was no change in diet.
    very interesting! Ill need to find a way to spread my workouts out more.. might be a bit more of a pain for me but seems like its more effective. I mean, if i run 10+ miles in one go, spend 2-3 hours mtn biking, etc.. yeah ill lose some weight, but it literally takes THAT much to have much effect in one go.

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like you need to find a job that entails being on vacation on a lake

It seems like constant movement is probably a very large part of the equation. More sleep? Less stress? Those can help with weight loss too.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I've had similar experiences. I usually lose weight on vacation despite eating a ton and not always eating that well (more cheating) and drinking a lot of alcohol (sugary cocktails, even). I think being up and about all day and getting more sleep explains most of it. I usually continue to work out even on vacation, but there's all that extra walking around or swimming too.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I've noticed this too. I was at my leanest and healthiest when I lived in Europe. I didn't have a car so I took public transport everywhere and just walked. I didn't lift weights or do any other cardio besides easy walking around town. Whereas, in the U.S. I have to do weightlifting & cardio because there isn't as much public transport. However, now instead of spending an hour on cardio every day I just do a max of 30 minutes at a time for 2 days a week, lift some weights 3 days a week and otherwise just take my little dog on several walks each day and still losing weight.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I heard this idea from a podcast on what can help with fat loss, in terms of diet and exercise: "It's like hitting the system with a hammer, seeing what resonance comes to the forefront and riding that for as long as it lasts."

There were times in my younger years where I was training every day, dancing like a mother ***, and I didn't lose any significant weight. That was my "normal"..training all the time. Then, my leanest weight was during one lazy summer but I was love struck (and nauseous) and unable to eat.

One anecdote to the next really isn't really compelling. BUT, I can say, the body is adaptive. Go from somewhat sedentary to punctuated workouts and you see change, then changing your workout to spread out through the day and you see more change--my eating less was a change, and it caused a change in my body. Going to the lake and getting your body up and moving and overfeeding, and it caused a change.

AKA, the body may eventually adapt to whatever lifestyle you set out.

Think about it in terms of strength gaining too. Seasoned weightlifters eventually have to change up their regimen and cycle through low volume, high volume and different rep schemes and riding the regimen so they milk it for all they can, then they have to change something to keep improving.

The OP said he's been doing somewhat same song and dance for a couple years. Maybe it's time for a bit of a change?