Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Full Fat Greek Yogurt/Yoghurt page 3

Paleobird Guest
    If you all ever want to kick your yoghurt experience up a notch in awesomeness, you should check out labne (I've also seen it spelled labneh and labna). In any case it is a middle eastern kefir cheese that tastes like greek yoghurt but has a consistency somewhere between sour cream and cream cheese.

I get mine at a little bodega in the not so nice section of town run by middle eastern folks. My Jewish BFF turned me on to it. She is 82 and from Vienna and she says she was raised on that stuff.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If you all ever want to kick your yoghurt experience up a notch in awesomeness, you should check out labne (I've also seen it spelled labneh and labna). In any case it is a middle eastern kefir cheese that tastes like greek yoghurt but has a consistency somewhere between sour cream and cream cheese.

I get mine at a little bodega in the not so nice section of town run by middle eastern folks. My Jewish BFF turned me on to it. She is 82 and from Vienna and she says she was raised on that stuff.
    I saw this in Whole Foods and took a look, thinking of your recommendation. It had a ton of other crap in it, stabilizers and thickeners, I guess. Idk if there's a middle eastern market in my area. I'll have to look. Because a cross between sour cream and cream cheese sounds like something awesome.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I saw this in Whole Foods and took a look, thinking of your recommendation. It had a ton of other crap in it, stabilizers and thickeners, I guess. Idk if there's a middle eastern market in my area. I'll have to look. Because a cross between sour cream and cream cheese sounds like something awesome.
    The Sprouts in my area have started carrying a brand like that, with al the additives. Blech. The one I get is imported from Lebanon.

Yes it is awesome. It makes cream of <whatever> soups beautifully.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone make their own yogurt? I started a while back by getting a small container of full fat organic yogurt and using organic whole milk for my yogurt. It's tastier than anything I've ever had from the store. It's creamy and luscious. Plus you can strain it and reserve the whey to make lacto-fermented things like sauerkraut! It's not very difficult and it's wildly cost effective.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Tesco in the UK carries an excellent creme fraiche - basically natural yoghurt made with thick cream instead of milk.

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Full fat Greek yoghurt is about 10% fat and natural is about 5% fat (at least the stuff I see is)

Though "cup" is a standard volume measure, I would not trust it has not been used as a 'loose term' by the marketing people of each company (different sized cups).

I never look at serving size etc, in Aus they also list 100g nutrient info (eg 9.8g of fat is 9.8% fat).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123