Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Monster Primal Pregnancy -- better late then never! page

TillyMonstar is offline Member

A Monster Primal Pregnancy -- better late then never!

Primal Fuel
    I'm baaaaaack MDA PB journal! This time, I'm growing a baby and really need to get back to it. I'm 17wks6d.

I was primal since last April, but with tons of slips toward Nov-Dec-Jan. I didn't lose much weight overall. I am currently in the highest weight my poor small-medium frame has ever taken on. At 234lbs now. Scaaaary. I simply cannot gain weight like I did last pregnancy (where this problem started to begin with!) and being an EX-Weight Watcher, I have gained some bad eating habits (like starving myself) and learned ALOT since being Primal/Paleo about 80% of the time.

I am currently not *gaining* weight but staying mostly the same. I'm about 50lbs from my 1st pre-pregnancy weight. I need to get over it and not stress, I can't do anything now but focus on growing a healthy baby. I just need to eat better and get SOME kind of work out in. I walk as much as possible but haven't started any weight training. I'm just so so so tired. My gums are a mess, and bleed a lot. I'm having some back pain (seeing a chiro once a month now and it's MUCH better) and my energy level is crap. My lady parts are itchy. Can you say sugar demon? I need to do better for me and my growing child like RIGHT NOW. I am also battling some hypothyroid symtoms on top and I believe this is why I am so tired. Per my holistic doc I am on half a grain of Naturethroid. The stuff is amazing, much better then levothyroxine.

I am still grossed out by lots of foods. Meat and eggs the MOST. This is hard. I used to love eggs and they are such a great go-to snack, breakfast/lunch/dinner. I will still be eating dairy, because I am craving it hard and it provides some of the protein I can't stomach right now. I noticed days where I don't get enough ANIMAL protein, I am starving all darn day. Think my body is telling me something?

Problems with diet right now:
    WIC. They MAKE you buy "whole grains" which are so "healthy". I think it is hilarious because I know those frosted mini-wheats are NOT good for me. Why does WIC think so? So yeah, I've been eating a lot of cereal. Trying to nix that entirely. Maybe to once a week at MOST.

Honey or rapadura in my 1 tiny cup of coffee, berries with rapadura on top, Fage greek yogurt with the mix-in. I need to nix this and make my own mix-in!

Grains. Yep. I added them back in a bit. Craving carbs hard this pregnancy. Or am I? Polenta. Rice. GF pasta. And I wonder why the lady parts are on FIRE. Sorry for the TMI but this is such a coincidence. Slowly eating my way through the rest of the stuff in my pantry. I don't find rice offensive and don't gorge myself on it, so I think I am OK to eat organic, white rice.

"No Knead Bread" which I've read works wonders for people who are gluten-free and can't handle any bread. You ferment flour, yeast, water and salt for 18-24+ hours, then let rise two more hours, then bake. It tastes like heaven, is slightly sour, and is easy to make. I think if I do this with a sourdough starter, I might be even better off. I don't eat loads of it, maybe a slice a day on average. Not sure if I can get away with this or not.

Suppliments:
    Triple magnesium for sluggish guts and sleep. I've noticed it doesn't do much. Boo.
    10kIU Vitamin D. I'm quite deficient.
    Extra vitamin C for more alkaline balance
    Prenatal from Trader Joe's.
    Liquid probiotic. This is helping the most with tummy issues!

I started brewing Kombucha again but I really don't like it. Too sour and funky... and boy do I need the stuff. I really want to try making pickles next. I mean, I am pregnant after all...

B:
    Eggs and nitrate-free-bacon (I'm broke and this is the crap store brand eggs WIC gives for free)
    CM in small cup of coffee with a tiny squeeze of honey and spoon of rapadura. I'm switching to CM from milk to add sweetness so I can get off this sugar train!

L:
    I really got used to skipping lunch. Yeah, can't do that when I'm S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G. So I'll probably snack some apples, nuts and sharp tilamook cheese from WIC. I hope I can get some salad in, but it's looking like a busy day.

Edit: I didn't do so well here and had some chips that were definitely NOT primal. DARN!

D:
    Beer butt chicken BBQ'd with grilled asparagus. Might pick up a few potatoes as well. I was thinking of a root mash instead, we will see.

Workout? Might get into a pool but no swimming because I don't have a suit, nor, will be buying one. No way.
    Last edited by TillyMonstar; 04-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia

:: Silly Blatherings ::

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on the baby.

It's hard to eat well when you are feeling both hungry and grossed out. As well as tired.

I suggest making extra at dinner, dishing it onto a plate for your lunch the next day. Then you have two meals covered, eggs and bacon are great for breakfast and you can snack on the apples, nuts and cheese if you need to.

Best wishes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyMonstar View Post
    My gums are a mess, and bleed a lot.
    When you eliminate gluten from your diet your gums will heal up.

WIC. They MAKE you buy "whole grains" which are so "healthy".
    Can you find a whole grain rice cereal? Will they let you buy brown rice?

"No Knead Bread" which I've read works wonders for people who are gluten-free and can't handle any bread. You ferment flour, yeast, water and salt for 18-24 hours, then let rise two more hours, then bake. It tastes like heaven, is slightly sour, and is easy to make. I don't eat loads of it, maybe a slice a day on average. Not sure if I can get away with this or not.
    This is not gluten-free or safe for people who are intolerant to gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When you eliminate gluten from your diet your gums will heal up.
    Not necessarily-- pregnancy induced gum issues depend a lot on genetics too as well as hygiene. I am doing my best on that front with a waterpik routine but my gums still had issues when I was eating strictly primal, unfortunately. I think diet of course will help too.

Can you find a whole grain rice cereal? Will they let you buy brown rice?
    Yes to brown rice and I think Rice Crispies is on the list-- it has barley malt and therefore is NOT GF. *sigh*

This is not gluten-free or safe for people who are intolerant to gluten.
    From what I read (and I need to do more research surely) this bread works for some with gluten intolerance because of the way it's fermented. I dislike any GF bread made homemade or store bought. It's usually gross and full of ingredients that are HARD to find! I love baking fresh bread and want to continue to experiment with the fermentation process. I was thinking about going a "traditional foods" route and using whey, yogurt or sourdough starter to boost the fermentation. I do realize there is gluten in the bread though.

Thanks for the comments! I do appreciate any feedback here. Annieh-- I am going to try and cook up MORE to eat later. That's a total DUH and I need to try harder!

Today I am feeling great because I slept like 10 hours! I cannot do that on a regular basis and when I do, the entire day goes so fast!

B:
    Same as yesterday, eggs, bacon, coffee

L:
    Left over chicken and a few potatoes/chips.

D: Teriyaki bowls with chicken and beef, white rice and broc, carrot, cabbage (Flame Broiler for you Californians!)

S:
    Sunflower seeds, dried cranberries

Need to plan meals this week! Going tomorrow.
    Last edited by TillyMonstar; 04-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia

zoeamy is offline Member
    put plain greek yoghurt (*NO SUGAR) on your choochee to fix the itching.
    I don't know what WIC is, So i google and it said this:
    The food items provided by WIC are juice (single strength), milk, breakfast cereal, cheese, eggs, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, whole grain items including brown rice and tortillas, fish (canned), legumes (dry), and peanut butter. Organic fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains are covered under WIC while organic milk, cheese, juice, peanut butter and eggs are not covered under the program.
    Do you have a choice? Can you take more of one thing and less of another?
    For example, instead of taking the frosted wheat breakfast cereal can you take a bag of wholemeal flour and make your own?
    As for Kombucha, it took me AGES to like it, despite everyone around me drinking it by the bottle I still can only have about 60ml at a time. Nobody says it has to be plain! Plenty of recipes around for sweetening it (with a little honey) or making it spicy (ginger) or fruity (err... fruit).
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    put plain greek yoghurt (*NO SUGAR) on your choochee to fix the itching.
    I don't know what WIC is, So i google and it said this:
    The food items provided by WIC are juice (single strength), milk, breakfast cereal, cheese, eggs, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, whole grain items including brown rice and tortillas, fish (canned), legumes (dry), and peanut butter. Organic fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains are covered under WIC while organic milk, cheese, juice, peanut butter and eggs are not covered under the program.
    Do you have a choice? Can you take more of one thing and less of another?
    For example, instead of taking the frosted wheat breakfast cereal can you take a bag of wholemeal flour and make your own?
    As for Kombucha, it took me AGES to like it, despite everyone around me drinking it by the bottle I still can only have about 60ml at a time. Nobody says it has to be plain! Plenty of recipes around for sweetening it (with a little honey) or making it spicy (ginger) or fruity (err... fruit).
    With WIC, because it's a supplemental food program for women, infant and children, they pretty much dictate what you can and cannot buy. The main reason I like it is the $10 + $6 coupons for produce! The eggs and cheese are nice too, but store-brand eggs taste terrible, not to mention aren't from healthy chickens AT ALL. So I'm not in love there. No organics either. I think I'm going to call their manager at my local office and ask for gluten-free options though I really am trying to stay away from ALL grains.

I should *not* be eating frosted shredded wheat. I know this. It's a weakness that takes over BIG time while pregnant. I craved mass carbs my first pregnancy as well, and getting them from starch and veg can be hard sometimes, so I opt in for the easy solutions. I've talked to quite a few ladies who crave cereal and milk, so it's good to know it's not entirely just me, though I know I could do better.

Kombucha is sooooo hard. I sort of liked the flavor pre-pregnancy, now? It freaks me out completely! I've been flavoring it with 100% juices to no avail. Trying anything I can think of and just starting slow, I know how good it is for me.

Yes, yogurt works wonders for the lady parts BUT, I don't think it's a yeast infection, I was told it wasn't by the doc. We will see about this months. I believe it's connected to my sugar intake.

B:
    Small bowl frosted shredded wheat. UGH!
    Cup of coffee with CM which I didn't even finish half of
    Robecks fruit smoothy (fruit and fruit juice only I believe, my daughter BEGGED for one this afternoon, so I caved!)

L:
    Rubios grande bowl which is shredded cabbage, rice, beans (I omitted them, they eff my tummy up!), cheese, grilled chicken, guac and some "white sauce". I was going to be stupid and get a couple deep fried and breaded "fish" tacos but was trying to be good! It was really tasty actually. Their salads are usually overpriced and tasteless.

D:
    Shrimp, kale, broc, and tomatoes stir fry with CO, EVOO and butter. Some parm on top and a tiny bit of white rice. Yum!

S:
    Pistachios and an organic fruit leather from Trader Joes.

My daughter ate a bunch of pistachios! She's really picky so it's great to see her try anything new. Yay!

So wow, I'm a junk food junky today. *le sigh*
    Last edited by TillyMonstar; 04-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.

zoeamy is offline Member
    haha, i love that you recognise all those things!

But I still think yoghurt makes it good, even if its not a yeast thing. Its cooling and soothing.

Gotta love being a lady right?
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Can you go to a different grocery store, i.e. Trader Joes? I find their eggs to not taste as disgusting as Kroger's eggs, for example. Does WIC limit the store you can go to?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Can you go to a different grocery store, i.e. Trader Joes? I find their eggs to not taste as disgusting as Kroger's eggs, for example. Does WIC limit the store you can go to?
    Nope. What a bummer huh? WIC sort of sucks in that way, but it's getting more savvy on what's good nutritionally and what's not. They are really great about breastfeeding but could be even better.

Yikes I skipped yesterday and it was my best day! Busy busy bee over here... My DH is out of work so I'm busting my butt getting in as much freelancing work as I can. Not fair because I'm TIRED.

B:
    Coffee with heavy creme YES!
    Egg omelet with tomatoes, basil, garlic and bacon

L:
    Homemade chicken salad with celery, raisins and made with a canola oil mayo, organic. I think it's giving me a tummy ache. I got about half way through about a half cup on top of some Trader Joes salad greens and felt ill. I cannot win. I really can't.

S:
    Pistachios, greek fage yogurt dip with grated cucumbers, garlic, S&P and a lil olive oil. My toddler even loved it omg! I had it with some celery. I couldn't stomach any raw veg last pregnancy and this one, craving it! I blame my old SAD diet but hey-- could just be my pregnancy cravings.

D:
    Shrimp in homemade pesto (EVOO, parmasan, sunflower seeds, garlic). The shrimp was funky tasting and I overcooked it ugh (will be buying higher quality and RAW from this point forward) on top of goat cheese polenta. The polenta tasted good but was a BRICK in my stomach. This was the last of my stores. Goodbye cornmeal, never buying you again! :waves:

S#2: Yes, I had some $&@# ice cream. Cookies and cream. And it was goooood.
    Last edited by TillyMonstar; 05-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Today was BUSY too... and I ate fast food crap. AGAIN.

B:
    Coffee with heavy cream
    Few slices of bacon
    Cantaloupe

L:
    Same chicken salad. Same gross out after a few bites. Made my husbeast eat the rest. He loved it. What?
    Yogurt dip from above with celery AND carrots. Pistachios.

D:
    McDonalds. MC-Friggen-Donalds!!!!! I'm so ashamed. I was off to a holistic moms meeting and had zero time. I was too embarrassed to eat the garbage food in view of these ladies, so I parked down the street and wolfed it down. Not cool. It was a disgusting 1/2 a spicy "chicken" sandwich. 1/2 double "cheeseburger" and fries. The fries tasted good, but it's just my brain telling me it's good because my guts I'm sure hate me.

Will be cooking dinner tomorrow. Going to lunch at Cheesecake Factory, hope I can get something GF there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast