Thread: Need advice page

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member

Need advice

Shop Now
    Ok- so I just started primal 2 weeks ago. I have hypothyroidism (i'm on meds) and I'm (usually) very active. I took more of a cold-turkey approach and switched to primal all at once and lowered by carbs to about 150g (from probably 250ish, i'm a runner). I expected to go through a carb-flu type thing, which I did- I had some blood sugar crashes that gradually got better, but my hypothyroid symptoms got worse. I feel freezing all of the time and my body temp is not breaking 98. Also, my muscles are very fatigued and not recovering well. I'm confused because I'm not even that low-carb! I really want to be primal but I don't want to just further ruin my thyroid.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Maybe I should add carbs back in and then decrease them more gradually?

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes add carbs back in. Primal does not mean low carb, especially for a hypothyroid runner!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How far and how hard do you run? For athletes Mark has recommended up to an extra 100g of carbs for each hour trained at moderate-high intensity. Depends on various factors though... "hypoothyroid" is also just too broad a diagnosis to make any specific recs.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2RhLgF8Kk

But are you the athlete he's actually talking about in this article or are you a recreational runner?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes add carbs back in. Primal does not mean low carb, especially for a hypothyroid runner!
    Yeah, this is probably the case! I have about 25 lbs to lose, so that's why I thought lowering carbs would help. How do you suggest losing weight without affecting the thyroid too much?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Yeah, this is probably the case! I have about 25 lbs to lose, so that's why I thought lowering carbs would help. How do you suggest losing weight without affecting the thyroid too much?
    low calorie slows metabolism.... no getting around that. i would say make sure "lift heavy things" and getting enough protein should be on the agenda. Woops just notice this wasn't directed at me. Ah, well. I'm posting

You can also do a several days at low carb levels followed by a large refeed day to keep your metabolism chugging along. Or just eat at a higher carb load only from primal sources.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    How far and how hard do you run? For athletes Mark has recommended up to an extra 100g of carbs for each hour trained at moderate-high intensity. Depends on various factors though... "hypoothyroid" is also just too broad a diagnosis to make any specific recs.

Mark's Daily Apple

But are you the athlete he's actually talking about in this article or are you a recreational runner?
    Thank you- I'm just a recreational runner. I do about 3 moderate shorter runs (3ish miles) during the week and one long run (6-10 miles) on the weekend. I don't run very fast, ha! I'm considering cutting back on training though to see if that makes me feel better.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Strenuous and boring running of any sorts; low speed, moderate, high, are not going to your thyroid any favors. Anaerobic exercise (becoming out of breath) increases the activity of inflammatory mediators, like lactic acid and interleukin-6 releases from the exercised muscle itself, and hormones also increased during and after are things like estrogen, prolactin, HGH and sometimes TSH.

A brisk walk through interesting terrain burns more fuel than boring exercise. An activated brain consumes a lot of fuel.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I am a college distance runner, and eat close to 300 carbs a day if not more, all primal foods (most of the time). I tried lowish carb a few years ago when finding primal, but it was not for me. As for your weight loss, I'm not a big fan of calories but perhaps eating a bit less for a few weeks might help you the fat. Lifting and doing sprints here and there might help before you cut out calories though. Also going for a walk on top of your running might help as well.

The light amount of running you are doing might just be stirring your appetite. I run up to 70-80 miles a week at my highest training volume and I get really hungry doing it.
    Last edited by max219; 04-27-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    max is definitely right, reducing the stress of said exercise should priority numero uno
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant