Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health? page

  1. #1
    Goldensparrow's Avatar
    Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    401

    Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health?

    Primal Fuel
    How many of you require potatoes or some starch for your menstrual cycle and hormones? Is it possible to have a healthy cycle without starch? Several paleo sites like paleo for women say you need it. Others say you don't. I wish there was a good answer besides more experimentation.

  2. #2
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,873
    I have no personal experience. I have read some research indicating that fat was important for fertility. But I have never read anything about carbs in that respect.

  3. #3
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,733
    I've been under 100 gm carbs for the last 3 years of Primal eating. Regular cycles, and I just turned 50 years old. In fact, all of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared on Primal. I eat potatoes occasionally, but I feel better on lower carbs.

    I do make sure to eat lots of nutrient-dense foods like grass-fed red meat, liver, free-range eggs, wild-caught seafood, and hard cheese as well as bone broth. I eat 60-70% fat from pastured lard, butter and coconut oil as well as fattier cuts of meat.

    Making sure my D3 level is on the high end of sufficiency (almost 80 ng/ml) ensures that I have the precursors necessary for hormonal balance. I also supplement krill oil and Magnesium.

    Here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful:

    Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-27-2013 at 11:26 AM.

  4. #4
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    I developed amenorrhea after eating essentially zero carb, so in my experience, yes they are needed in at least some amount. My cycle came back after a couple of months of eating at least 1lb of starchy foods (sweet potatoes, rice, etc.) per day.

  5. #5
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    I eat HFLC (I have a brain issue... not saying it's for everyone, but some do very well on it.) and my cycles have become more regular during that time (about a year now)... from VERY irregular, sometimes skipping months, to pretty much normal 28-30 days.
    I'm 40.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #6
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,873
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I developed amenorrhea after eating essentially zero carb, so in my experience, yes they are needed in at least some amount. My cycle came back after a couple of months of eating at least 1lb of starchy foods (sweet potatoes, rice, etc.) per day.
    How did you choose to eat a zero carb diet?

  7. #7
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    After reading Wheat Belly I went very low carb for about 6 weeks. At first it was fine, but then I became severely depressed. With 2 small kids that each just as I do, this also wasn't very useful. So now I am sure to serve rice or portatoes at least 5x/week. I have much more energy and no longer think about running away from my family. It's crazy how eating a small amount of carbs impacts my mental health so much. Can't say much about fertility... we conceived 2 kids with 3 months of trying total, but that was before I knew about Primal.

  8. #8
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How did you choose to eat a zero carb diet?
    Attempt at dealing with digestive issues. Caused a few for problems than it helped.

  9. #9
    Goldensparrow's Avatar
    Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I've been under 100 gm carbs for the last 3 years of Primal eating. Regular cycles, and I just turned 50 years old. In fact, all of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared on Primal. I eat potatoes occasionally, but I feel better on lower carbs.

    I do make sure to eat lots of nutrient-dense foods like grass-fed red meat, liver, free-range 9eggs, wild-caught seafood, and hard cheese as well as bone broth. I eat 60-70% fat from pastured lard, butter and coconut oil as well as fattier cuts of meat.

    Making sure my D3 level is on the high end of sufficiency (almost 80 ng/ml) ensures that I have the precursors necessary for hormonal balance. I also supplement krill oil and Magnesium.

    Here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful:

    Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition -Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    Thank you! That was helpful. The blog post does mention starches in moderation so I guess you eat bananas and such more often than potatoes? thinking of cycling starches every three days or so because I figure better safe than sorry. I don't feel well eating them every day like some paleo people suggest.

  10. #10
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Thank you! That was helpful. The blog post does mention starches in moderation so I guess you eat bananas and such more often than potatoes? thinking of cycling starches every three days or so because I figure better safe than sorry. I don't feel well eating them every day like some paleo people suggest.
    It really depends on your metabolism/activity level.

    I eat rice crackers a few times a week (12 g carb per serving) and a banana twice a month, but I am FODMAPS-intolerant, so I don't do any other fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. I do better with sucrose, so dark chocolate is my main carb source.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •