Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health? page 2

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The last time I menstruated was when I was much higher carb >200g. That was 7 years ago. I have tried to increase my levels since then but start feeling really crummy above ~150g. Right now I am happily sitting around 60-80g (with slightly more on days I run). I'm 5'4.5" 107lbs. I eat potatoes and non gmo organic corn occasionally. Lots of pumpkin, some squash & coconut flour and loads of veggies. When I'm ready to have a baby I may have to try to up my carbs to levels similar to the SAD but until I have to, I feel better this way.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Meghanner- Does this mean you don't menstruate on a low carb diet?

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'm in quite a pickle. I have digestive issues that caused me to do zero carb as well for awhile. Then it turned out to be fodmaps but it was too late. I had lost my cycle and ate SAD to regain it. Right now I want to have a second baby but I'm feeling crummy on a high starch diet and most fruit doesn't sit well with me which leaves me with very low carb or carb cycling perhaps.

I also took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 92.....another sign that things aren't going well. I used to be around 70 to 80 before pregnancy.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    The last time I menstruated was when I was much higher carb >200g. That was 7 years ago. I have tried to increase my levels since then but start feeling really crummy above ~150g. Right now I am happily sitting around 60-80g (with slightly more on days I run). I'm 5'4.5" 107lbs. I eat potatoes and non gmo organic corn occasionally. Lots of pumpkin, some squash & coconut flour and loads of veggies. When I'm ready to have a baby I may have to try to up my carbs to levels similar to the SAD but until I have to, I feel better this way.
    How old are you? The older a woman is and the longer she goes without a period, the more likely she is to permanently lose reproductive capability. I read about a woman bodybuilder who, after being on a crazy shredding diet for many years, decided she wanted to conceive. I don't think her periods came back.

I don't think you should wait.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if carbohydrates are necessary for menstruation but they're definitely not sufficient -- I lost my cycle as a teenager eating a nearly zero-fat diet.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I don't know if carbohydrates are necessary for menstruation but they're definitely not sufficient -- I lost my cycle as a teenager eating a nearly zero-fat diet.
    I think it is about the combination of low calories and heavy activity. It is not low carb making anyone infertile. Eskimos have always reproduced just fine on mainly seal meat and blubber.

alyx727 is offline Junior Member
    By eating healthful carbohydrates (fruits and veggies), you will dramatically decrease the insulin released, which will decrease your body’s message to grow and store fat. By going a step further, eating a small portion of lean protein (grass-fed beef, turkey, chicken, etc.) and fats (avocados, nuts, seeds) along with those carbs, you will in fact be balancing your hormones, which will keep you healthy or move you toward health!

Hormone Balance and Food Combining: How Proteins, Carbs and Fats Affect the Body

found at above site.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius.

Correct. I don't menstruate for a lot of reasons. I've tried to get it back with little success so far.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How old are you? The older a woman is and the longer she goes without a period, the more likely she is to permanently lose reproductive capability. I read about a woman bodybuilder who, after being on a crazy shredding diet for many years, decided she wanted to conceive. I don't think her periods came back.

I don't think you should wait.
    I am 33yrs old. In the past two years I've dramatically reduced my exercise, increased my calories, tried gaining 10 lbs (made me feel awful). All with no success. I've also been following the great work of Stefani Ruper over at Paleo for Women. I've tried estrogen replacement, acupuncture, stress relief techniques, herbs from my naturopath, again no luck. I see a holistic endocrinologist (been on the wait list for a year!) this Wednesday and am hoping to try bioidentical hormone replacement. If my body is healthy and I'm just not meant to have babies I'm not going to force it or stress about it. There are many ways of becoming a mother. It's okay. That being said, I'm always open to new suggestions!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I am 33yrs old. In the past two years I've dramatically reduced my exercise, increased my calories, tried gaining 10 lbs (made me feel awful). All with no success. I've also been following the great work of Stefani Ruper over at Paleo for Women. I've tried estrogen replacement, acupuncture, stress relief techniques, herbs from my naturopath, again no luck. I see a holistic endocrinologist (been on the wait list for a year!) this Wednesday and am hoping to try bioidentical hormone replacement. If my body is healthy and I'm just not meant to have babies I'm not going to force it or stress about it. There are many ways of becoming a mother. It's okay. That being said, I'm always open to new suggestions!
    How is your fat intake? I have read that gymnasts who lose their periods are made to eat egg yolks, and they start menstruating again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast