Thread: Accidental Grokking... page

Frank of Denmark is offline Junior Member

Accidental Grokking...

Shop Now
    Hi, everybody.
    I am new to the primal way of living, and i have just started easing into this way of life. I have been struggling with my weight for more than a decade, but recently there have been quite a bit of change for the better. In January, my weight was 117 kg. The first thing i did, was ditching cola, and drinking carbonated water when the urge hit me. I hoped it would be easier to substitute a stupid harmful habit with something less harmful, and i was right. Now, I have ditched carbonated water as well. In february, i saw a documentary on BBC about intermittent fasting. I was very surprised, the results was quite contrary to conventional wisdom. I decided to try a 24-hour fast, just to see how it would feel. The test subject in the documentary did experience some discomfort, thererfore i was anxiously awaiting 24 hours of constant obsessing about food. Well, that did not happen. In fact, i did not experience any significant discomfort. Whenever the thought "i am hungry" popped up, i would think to myself; " I know,stomach, and you can have something. Help yourself to those lovehandles right there.Knock yourself out, son! . On my last fasting day(monday) i decided to up my game, and do a 8 mile paddle in my kayak at the end of the day. I brought a bit of water, and some mild anxiety about the impending blood sugar crash with me. The last 4 miles would be paddled against a 15 m/sec headwind. To my surprise, i did not experience any sugar crash or decline of energy levels.
    I have been following a basic diet for several years, and it was initially succesful. Back then i did not yet own a car, and my job was not as sedentiary as my present job. The plan works fine, the problem was my increasingly stupid eating habits and my declining activity levels. At this moment in time my meals are set up like this:

Breakfast: 200 grams of low fat yoghurt. 90 cal, 8 gr fat, 8 gr protein, 8 gr carbs.
    lunch: 300 grams of vegetables trimix(frozen).300 cal,11 gr protein, 3 gr fat, 54 gr carbs, and 120 gr meat.
    Dinner: 300 grams of vegetable trimix. 300 cal, 11 gr protein 3 gr of fat, 54 gr carbs, and 220 gr of meat.
    Between meals i can " fill the gaps" with nuts or a pice of fruit.This keeps the carbs below a 150 gr per day.
    The thing i really like about this kind of meal planning is that you use calorie counting not only as a failsafe but also as a quick way adapt your diet according to changing circumstances. I work as a taxidriver, and i dont have a fixed time for lunch break. A 100 grams of nuts contains the same amount of energy as a "regular" lunch, and they taste great, they dont have to be kept in a cooler and you dont need to mess around with a plate,and you can eat them discreetly while you are driving a fare, if you are having a busy day. Another major bonus is that you can bring the waste of food very close to 0% and you save a TON of money. There is no feeling of deprivation, in fact it´s all good.

At the present time the scales tip at 97,6 kg. My weight in january was 117 kg, wich brings the current total weight loss to 19,4 kg or 42,76 pounds. I have lost 15 cm or 6,3 inches around the waist.
    My exersise consist of a couple of 10 km bicycle rides with an occasional 15 km ride thrown in, and kayaking according to the weather, time and my mood and motivation.I try to do at least 10 km in my kayak.

Any and all constructive input is welcome. Grok on, and never give up.
    Best wishes to all of you.

Frank

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank of Denmark View Post
    I decided to try a 24-hour fast, just to see how it would feel. The test subject in the documentary did experience some discomfort, thererfore i was anxiously awaiting 24 hours of constant obsessing about food. Well, that did not happen. In fact, i did not experience any significant discomfort.
    Nice to meet you!
    This describes my turning point experience as well. The "eat more" message is so penetrating and so relentless today. Consuming significant calories on a bus, during a work meeting, lying in bed, etc. were abnormal behavior a few decades ago but now they're depicted on every billboard and poster. Once we recognize the messages for what they are we can work on tuning them out.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Hi, Pete!
    I remember seeing a program about the energy content of food a couple of years ago on National geographic. There was a segment with a very impressive experiment involving a piece of Danish Pastry. Basically, digestion is an explosion in extreme slowmotion using stomach acid and oxygen. The technician started the experiment by dipping the pastry in liquid oxygen. That way, the process gets speeded up. Then he put the pastry inside a mailbox, and using a battery and a sparkplug, he blew the mailbox up. Afterwards you cuold see a portion of the back panel, the rest was gone. These days, i am much more careful around Danish Pastries....

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank of Denmark View Post
    Then he put the pastry inside a mailbox, and using a battery and a sparkplug, he blew the mailbox up. Afterwards you cuold see a portion of the back panel, the rest was gone. These days, i am much more careful around Danish Pastries....
    Quite an image, haha.
    I used to buy a café pastry every. single. day. I had no idea how densely packed energy content can be when a food contains no water. Starch powder and liquid sugar cooked in flavorless oil until it shrinks into a tiny sweet blob... eek.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Nice to meet you!
    This describes my turning point experience as well. The "eat more" message is so penetrating and so relentless today. Consuming significant calories on a bus, during a work meeting, lying in bed, etc. were abnormal behavior a few decades ago but now they're depicted on every billboard and poster. Once we recognize the messages for what they are we can work on tuning them out.
    People nowadays are programmed to fear hunger and starvation, as though it were a real possibility that they might starve if they didn't eat before getting hungry. Literally starve. Many people are never hungry. They eat constantly.

Or the once a month they do experience "hunger", it is after a break in carb binging that makes them so hungry and hypoglycemic it reinforces the need to snack on carbs around the clock.

Diet sites routinely will tell you exactly how many calories you burn during your chronic cardio so you can carefully add them back to avoid going into the "starvation mode".

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Frank! Welcome to the MDA! I looked up Tonder, and you are just a stone's throw from the German border, as I found out. The pictures I get of the town look very sweet. Since you are close to the Frisian islands, have you ever been to Sylt?

I went to Copenhagen years ago, and fell in love with it - it is my dream trip to take a huge vacation throughout all the Nordic cou tries, even to the point of visiting the Faroe Islands.

Good job on your weight loss!! I look forward to reading more here!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Hey, Phil! I have not been to sylt yet, but i hope to get there this summer. However, i will not be going by ferry, wich is the usual way to get there. I have talked to a guy from the german rowing club in Højer, and we are going to to do the 15 km crossing in our seakayaks. The tides can be quite fierce at the westcoast, and that is why i have joined forces with him, he knows his way around these waters. The challenge of the crossing and unique area we will be paddling in makes this a worthwhile project. We will be paddling to Sylt with the outgoing tide and back to Højer with the incoming tide. That gives us 3 hours on Sylt.
    If you get a chance to try kayaking in any of the nordic countries, or in the US, i highly recommend giving it a try. There is a huge spectrum of experiences. You can be gliding serenely across a lake at sunset or powering down the face of a wave towards the shore, whooping with exhilaration. This sport has been through an explosive development during the last 10 years, and right now there is a strong focus on the traditional Inuit rolling- and self rescue techniques. You can find a lot of highly skilled instuctors in the US. At the last Danish Seakayakers Summer Camp we had a workshop hosted by Shawna Franklin and Leon Somme.They own a kayaking center at Orcas island, Washington. You can see some of their videos on youtube. Seriously, if you get the chance, try it. I will post some pics on my profile soon, i just need to fiddle with the settings. You can whet your kayaking appetite by typing "Black Pearl kayak" in googles search box.
    Frank