Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Laundry page 3

Catalina is offline Member

I have a couple questions that seem appropriate for this forum:

1. Has anyone tried or researched the Soladey Ionic Toothbrush? It says it works with light and doesn't need or recommend toothpaste.

2. Has anyone tried oil pulling?

By the way, I used to make soap to give away at Christmas, and it's just lye and oil (olive & palm usually). It turns into a lovely soap that everyone loves--that's pretty much what all those marbled soaps you see at Farmer's Markets and specialty shops are. I just wonder how the heck anyone figured out the whole lye/oil chemical reaction.

Catalina, I tried Oil Pulling a couple of times. I have yet to come to any 'conclusion' on it yet, but I will be 'delving' more into it again. (Click on my member name and it'll take you to my blog. My very first entries were on Oil Pulling).

Castor Oil Packs are another good natural 'remedy', which I will also be trying out and 'blogging' on in the near future.

marika Guest

@Catalina, I would love to make my own soap! I am scared of handling lye though - that's all that is holding me back! I'd love to try using some tallow from the farmers market. Have you ever tried using animal fats in your soap?

Catalina is offline Member

SassaFrass. . .I checked out your blog--the spring spinach salad looks very yummy! I think I may try oil pulling too, and maybe we can compare notes down the line.

Marika. . .the whole lye thing scared me, too. I took a class, and I'm REALLY careful with it--I use goggles and gloves, and follow the instructions to the letter (it's important to use a bottle that's heat resistant). It's amazing how just adding water heats it up! I get my supplies through a company called Herbal Accents, and that's the woman who did the class. I would think tallow would work great, but I've never tried it--I'm sure it has a longer history even than oils since it was probably more readily available. I'll bet if you google it, you can find a recipe. (I remember the mention of lye soap when I was a kid watching the Beverly Hillbillies--I thought it would be harsh, but it's so smooth. . .I'll bet Grannie used tallow!)

marika Guest

Thanks Catalina! :-) I bet you're right, Grannie probably did use tallow!

nessa Guest

I use the following recipe for our laundry:

1 C soap flakes

1/2 C washing soda

1/2 C borax

1. put soap flakes and 6 C water in a saucepan over medium heat; stir until dissolved ~3-5 min

2. stir in washing soda & borax; mix ~3 min; remove from heat

3. put 1 qt (4 C) HOT water in a 2 gallon (or larger) bucket; add soap mixture from pan; mix well.

4. add another 5qt (20 C) cold water to the bucket and mix well.

5. you can add whatever scents you want (or don't) to the mixture. I added a few drops of lavender and rosemary oils to mine.

At this point, I transfered the liquid to an old detergent bottles.

Use 1/2 C per load; more for heavy loads. Be sure to stir/shake the bottles to mix before every use.

marika Guest

@nessa, love it! So wonderfully simple! Does it clean just as well as commercial detergent? What is washing soda? Do you get the soap flakes at the grocery store?

nessa Guest

i think it works just as well. there is a transition period while you get all the residue of the other detergents out, i bet. i'd been using only "natural/eco-friendly" laundry soap for years before i just switched over to making my own.

i found a bar of washing soap at a local health food store and i just grated it myself. washing soda i found at the grocery store in the laundry aisle. it's made by arm 'n' hammer. it was right next to the borax.

i like to add essential oils to our. right now, i'm using a mix of mint, tea tree and lavender. yum.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

nessa....but why? "We" spend thousands of years unshackling women from doing laundry and here you are re-burdening them for no apparent advantage. What can you possibly gain that is worth the hassle? Detergents are just another chemical family that does the same job - surfactant - as soap, only much better. There's a reason soap flakes have gone the way of the dodo bird. I've watched Mexican Indian women doing the wash in the river and I'm sure they would LOVE to have your machine and detergent.

FYI, Washing Soda is sodium carbonate. It adjust pH upwards (alkaline)and lets soap or detergent work better. Some grocery stores carry it in the Arm and Hammer brand. Most stores don't any more. Borax does the same thing, BTW, it's redundant. Washing soda comes in larger boxes, do not confuse with sodium BIcarbonate, Baking Soda. I buy washing soda to adjust the pH in my swimming pool. Same thing as the expensive spread in the pool stores.

PS, caps key broken?

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sometimes easier is not always better. Detergents are harmful to the environment, especially the microflora of steams and lake. They aren't very biodegradeable.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123