Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Laundry page 2

marika Guest

Primal Fuel

You're welcome, Maba! I just use Arm & Hammer. I think you are thinking of baking _powder_ that contains aluminum. I haven't heard of baking _soda_ containing any.

I found the EOs at my local health food store. They were fairly cheap.

That amount lasts me and DH a few months.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Ah... so baking powder, not soda. You did mention powder. I am interested in trying this as well.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

marika Guest

Oh sorry, then that was a typo on my end! I meant baking soda. :-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Baking powders used to have aluminum, I think it was an anti-caking agent. I bought some BP a couple of weeks ago and they all tout "No aluminum." Another hysteria driven change. (It was thought twenty years ago that aluminum was responsible for Alzheimer's, but that's been disproven.)

The active ingredients in stain removers are either an enzyme and/or sodium perborate. The former is a natural molecule type that is factory made. Similar ones are used to clean up oil spills. There isn't enough enzyme is a bucket of those products to think even once about for their environmental effect.

Sodium perborate is an oxygen bleach. It's not a particularly nasty chemical. Of course, "they" HAVE to add perfume and such, too. Won't work right w/o it right?

The only person I ever knew to use some "natural" deodorant.....well, there wasn't a second date. (That wasn't the only issue, but I do remember it.)

Soap and lye are essentially the same thing. Soap is just the sodium hydroxide molecules attaching themselves to the oil molecules. Both, and detergents and chlorine bleach work better as they get hotter. That's why women used to boil their laundry in big tubs. That's why oven cleaners work better with a warm oven.

Not using any surfactant (soap, detergent, others) might be fine for ridding clothing of sweat, but there is no way in Hades that she is going to get stains or grease out with her washing system. I guess she leads a sheltered life without kids or something.

For simple sweated up only laundry, I use just a fraction of the "suggested" amount of (unscented) detergent. It's just enough for the wash to work much better.

marika Guest

OnTheBayou, I agree, most "natural" deodorants don't work. I've tried the crystal deodorant, Tom's of Maine, homemade coconut oil/cornstarch/baking soda, etc..The homemade one worked pretty well but the baking soda in it gave me a rash.

None of them has worked as well as the EOs that DH and I have been using. They've actually been far superior than even Degree. They don't leave stains like commercial deodorants too, nor that sticky feeling or weird commercial scent. I really love the natural smell of the Nutmeg EO on my DH...apparently it's an aphrodisiac (I have to admit that may be true).

maba is offline Senior Member

@marika, what do you dilute the EOs with to make the deodrant? Just plain water?

For deodorant, I've heard of fresh lemon juice (kills bacteria) & Baking Soda.

For my kitchen counters, I finally just dropped the chemicals and use a mixture of fresh squeezed lemon juice and vinegar. Now, when I drop food on the counter or accidentally spray next to the paper towels or some food, I don't worry about what kind of cancer I'm getting!

My uncle swears on the mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for toothpaste (I like all of your essential oils ideas!!!).

I already replaced all antibacterial stuff (Neosporin, etc) with Colloidal Silver & Oregano Oil. IF I ever feel sick (it's been a LONG time - YAY!), I'll take a dallop of Oregano Oil and BAM! Problem solved.

Put Colloidal Silver in the eyes for Pink eye (seriously, no need for a doctor visit here), also, Colloidal silver can be used like Neosporin (Health Food stores sell it in a gel too).

For a laxative/ weight-loss aid, use Senna Leaves to make a tea (works better than any stupid laxative drug on the market).

I buy the more somewhat-spendy laundry detergent that does not pollute the streams and then the liquid fabric softener that is made of Lavender oils and what-not.

marika Guest

@maba, here's how I use EOs for deodorant: take a cotton pad and run just a few drops of water over it, then drop your EOs on top of that (I use 3 drops of Geranium EO), then rub your underarm and surrounding area with the cotton pad.

DH said he just uses the Nutmeg EO straight but I'm too scared to try that for fear of sensitivity.

I knew that EOs were somewhat antibacterial but I'm really amazingly surprised at how well this is working. Just be sure to use EOs that don't cause dermal sensitivity.

maba is offline Senior Member

Marika, I tried Baking Soda w/ a dash of cinnamon powder as I don't have the EOs yet and I liked it. This most likely is a figment (or as my friend would say, fig newton) of my imagination, but I think my teeth look whiter

marika Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

That's great, maba! :-) It keeps my teeth really nice and white and clean!

Also, for extra added awesomeness, try a warm salt water rinse afterward. Take a teaspoon of table salt in 1 cup of warm water and rinse your mouth with that after brushing with the tooth powder. It's wonderful! And dentists recommend the salt water rinses for gum health.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast