Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 30 minute rule! AKA Nutrient timing page

tone2423 is offline Junior Member

The 30 minute rule! AKA Nutrient timing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am new to PB and have a question about post workout recovery meals.

CW ( in this case, sports nutrition books) will always recommend high glycemic foods immediately following high intense workouts (no more than 30 minutes) to replenish your muscle and liver glycogen stores. This rule is

But, PB says that staying with low glycemic food is the way to go.

So my question is...how do I properly fuel my body after an athletic event (a game) or workout??

My second question would probably be...is just consuming the correct amount of protein enough? since my insulin levels are primed from my diet, and I don't need a high glycemic food to boost insulin for faster transportation, should I just stay within the PB rules?

I might have answered my own question but I would love to hear or read what everyone thinks.

Thanks!!

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    Unless your workout is so extreme as to completely exhaust all your glucose stores than I imagine that some fruit would be more than enough to top you back up again.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    ^^^^^ As I understand it unless you a.) need to play another game/workout a second time later in the day or b.) play another game the next day/workout hard again the next day then the pwo carb isn't as important. Alan aragon has said that basically stated that the low gi/high gi is irrelevant and choose whatever carb source you prefer.

According to cw you should avoid fat pwo (stunts insulin) but pb states otherwise so I'm curious about what people have to say about including fats pwo.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member
    My typical recovery snack-I run/ride long....is Fage mixed with a banana and PB. If going long and I have time I will have this before too.

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    According to cw you should avoid fat pwo (stunts insulin) but pb states otherwise so I'm curious about what people have to say about including fats pwo.
    I do protein only post workout, and perhaps some primal carbs- banana/yogurt, i really enjoy fage 0% (i know some people will yell at me for this) some pumpkin, and vanilla protein powder (2 gram carbs). It tastes like pumpkin pie! yummy..
    But think about it right after a workout your muscle/body is primed for absorbing nutrients. If you have fat in there it is going to stored as fat easier. I could be wrong, but thats what I believe! I could be totally wrong though :-/

Js137 is offline Member
    Unless you are an elite athlete I would suggest experimenting. I love testing theories with my observation of one (me!). For instance, I started the PB a little more than a month ago and have been losing fat and getting leaner. Because of this goal, I have stayed fairly low on carbs (probably only exceeded 120g one day so far). I am also playing with IF and seeing how I feel. So, on to my workout. I first tried to do some slow movement (easy jog for me will keep the HR below 135) without the traditional fuel before and after. I felt pretty good. Next, I attempted to do a full on high intensity workout without increasing any carbs. Initially, I felt it took me a few days longer to fully recover, but it was a stressful time for me. Next time I did a really intense workout I fasted before and then afterward ate an apple with almond butter - felt much better.

This Monday, I was fasting all day and only had a couple handfuls of almonds all day. Played racquetball for an hour late afternoon and finished that off with a 10 minute anaerobic, high intensity workout and felt great later in the day and even today. I know I had to have been pushing the absolute limit since I was working pretty hard for some time, but in the end I felt better than I would have before going primal if I had eaten lunch 3 hours earlier!!

Pay attention to how you feel and learn exactly what does and does not work for you! It will dial you in to what you need and its fun too!

Intrepid14 is offline Junior Member
    I too have this question as an ultra endurance athlete. This is taken from the Hammer Nutrition site.

Recovery is when adaptation to that stress occurs; it involves improvements not only in muscle performance, but also in glycogen storage. Hard training followed by timely, adequate nutritional replenishment increases your glycogen storage, as if your body is saying, “If there's another workout like this tomorrow, I better be prepared with a good supply of available fuel.” If you feed your body correctly after a workout, you'll have that fuel, muscle glycogen, the next day....Needless to say, to have a good race or workout, you need to start with a full load of muscle–stored glycogen; athletes who have more of this readily available fuel in their bodies have a definite advantage. The good news is that you can substantially increase your glycogen storage capacity through the process of training and replenishing. Therefore, if you want to reap the benefits out of all the time and energy you put into your training, as soon as possible after you finish your workout—ideally within the first 30–60 minutes—it's crucial for you to replenish your body with adequate amounts of complex carbohydrates, whey protein isolate, and supplementary vitamins, minerals, and a wide variety of antioxidants...full article here....http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowl...cess.1278.html

Now I have always subscribed to this window and I would think if you are going to do race pace over 60 minutes you'd need to recover like this, but for a LSD run or sprints under an hour I would think you wouldn't need too. But I am new to Primal and trying to figure out how that works. I have spent the last 4 years making sure to fill up on the proper recovery after a workout, however I also could not get as lean as I needed even on 30 hours of working out per week. I know Mark fasts after exercising some times, but it doesn't sound like he does race pace over 1 hour any more, so not sure how that factors in.

I look forward to reading how other distance athletes have handled this!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tone2423 View Post
    I am new to PB and have a question about post workout recovery meals.

CW ( in this case, sports nutrition books) will always recommend high glycemic foods immediately following high intense workouts (no more than 30 minutes) to replenish your muscle and liver glycogen stores. This rule is

But, PB says that staying with low glycemic food is the way to go.

So my question is...how do I properly fuel my body after an athletic event (a game) or workout??
    !
    If you're doing endurance, ultra endurance or incredibly intensive athletics, then handle recovery how you'd normally handle it. You need to replace glycogen stores.

Mark had a recent blog post on this....or maybe it wasn't at all recent I'd try searching around his blog.

Best,
    K

Intrepid14 is offline Junior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-workout-fasting/

I found this. This helped me a lot with how to handle this.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    My PWO meal is dinner. As soon as I feel good enough to eat then I have dinner - which is a big meal. I have started working out after a small fast because between breakfast and dinner there is really nothing primal to eat unless I am at home. I haven't found any problems with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast