Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Benefits From Primal Living page 3

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The biggets benefit for me is a new sense of purpose. I feel more alive and alert than before b/c I have become more aware of my body and how to take better care of it. My sleep has improved, my immune system is ridiculously awesome and my temper has cooled a bit. I feel more in control, empowered and motivated to accomplishthe things I've always wanted to do.

To sum it all up, I feel more comfortable in my own skin.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Heliotrope is offline Member
    Almost all the cracks that had been developing in my health around age 48 are now resolved: joint pain 90 percent less; deeper sleep; clear skin; small premenstrual headache gone.

No problem with hunger or cravings. The wheat-sugar addiction has been broken!

Weight loss. I'm the thinnest I've ever been in my adult life.

Plenty of energy to get through my day. Not one day have I dragged my feet, even if I had short sleep the night before. This is not to say that I want to play tennis when I get home in the evening. But I can do everything I have to do in a day, and when the sun goes down, I'm ready for a good rest.

Optimism and mental clarity. People cite mental clarity often, but I'd like to give a few examples of what it means to me. (1) When drifting off to sleep one night, lots of random memories of places I had been in the distant past kept bubbling up. Strange and interesting. (2) Insights into personal relationships. I feel as if I can figure out more easily what's going on in people's heads. Though I could be deluded about this! (3) Watching old movies I've seen before, plot points and themes I never thought about before jump out at me.

Haven't woken up with a stiff neck in 16 months. A few minor colds in 2012, and nothing so far this year, when I have been more strictly primal.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    This seems to be uncommon but I spend so much less money on food now. I only get hungry 1-2 times per day and I know how to chop and heat and store things.

I cringe when I look back at what I used to spend on Raisin Bran, juice, and vending machine pretzels to survive the morning followed by the inevitable restaurant takeout since I found grocery stores and my own kitchen appliances thoroughly puzzling.
    ^^This.

I went gluten-free on my own about 10 years ago after discovering that I reacted to wheat. I saved a lot of money no longer eating artisan bread, pastries, fresh pasta, etc. I just had rice with every meal. Only years later did I discover that it's supposed to cost 2-3 times as much to eat gluten-free. What???

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Only years later did I discover that it's supposed to cost 2-3 times as much to eat gluten-free. What???
    I've given up trying to explain the difference between gluten-free eating and eating gluten-free things.
    Enough people pay hippie tax for corn starch cereal and muffins in the "natural" aisle--I guess the marketers know what they're doing.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    No more chronic heartburn/GERD, which I was taking expensive meds for.

No more chronic constipation. I suffered for years with this, and dutifully followed all conventional medical advice- eat more fiber, drink more water, exercise, supplement with Metamucil. None of it worked. Now I don't even have to think about it. Totally regular. It is amazing.

I don't get sick very often. SO, who is still eating mostly SAD, gets low-level colds, coughs, headaches, etc all the time. Right now he has a horrible hacking cough that is keeping him up nights.

I'm learning how to really cook, not just pots of pasta but actual full meals that impress people. It is fun!

prufock is offline Member
    Here's an answer I haven't seen from anyone yet: None.

It's been 2 months since I started this primal thing. I lift heavy 2-3 days a week (which I was doing for months before), do short bursts of fast cardio, and go for an hour or so walk a couple days a week. Nothing much has really changed with regard to my activity level. I could probably stand to be more strict on my diet (honestly I don't have the patience to research everything I eat) and incorporate more slow cardio in my week. I've lost a few pounds but you wouldn't know it to look at me.

Maybe it's me, and I'm not doing ENOUGH or not be strict enough. Maybe the change wasn't that drastic for me. Whatever the reason, the only thing that's really changed is a lighter wallet.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Pretty exciting changes really -

Lost 48 lbs.- now the same weight I was in high school!
    Body fat at around 12% and easy to maintain.
    Arthritis in lower back, hips and shoulders gone.
    BP went from 130/90 to 105/78k
    Look good and feel confident in a bathing suit.
    All new wardrobe - tapered and fitted shirts!
    Seasonal allergies great reduced and so far this spring non existent.
    Love the reactions I get when I tell people I'm 61.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Just realized another one -

Chapped lips. Gone. Used to have trouble with this all winter. Can't remember even thinking about it this year.

Nonni is offline Junior Member
    I noticed today that even though I was late for lunch and dinner, I wasn't hungry in the same way I used to be. Before primal, I would feel sick to my stomach, light-headed and dizzy. Today I just felt hungry. No other symptoms. And...I only got 6 hours of sleep last night and instead of feeling sluggish and lazy all day, I had steady energy all day. Enough to exercise, work, and play. Life is good.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    -Years of lower back pain gone in a week
    -Years oil over oily skin gone to normal in three week
    -mild joint pain gone - all joints feel lubricated
    -Clearer skin than doesn't sunburn easily.
    -Clearer thinking, happier/better mood.
    -Lost fat, increased muscle, fitter/stronger and can wear Speedos at pool again.
    -Hair fuller/ healthier
    -More energy with less food
    -Skipping meals is easy if bad choose of food available or I forget to eat.
    -I bring a good lunch or snacks to work ( cheaper, tastes better and is healthy)
    -Sleep better
    -Don't waste time with commercial tv ( and ignore adv telling me what to eat and what drugs to take to make me feel better after eating that stuff and the commercial diets I can use to loose the weight I mysteriously gained)
    -Food tastes better
    -My food is more enjoyable than cafe/restaurant stuff and made exactly how I like it without negotiating with the wait staff and kitchen ( and then they bring it to me not as agreed).
    -better understanding of health, nutrition and sicknesses causes prevention.
    -Don't get sick or visit doctors ( no waiting and wasting time/money for non solutions)
    -Don't take meds or any over the counter stuff
    -I can have technical discussions with doctors and clinical nurses on blood lipids, tests available, results interpretation and quickly find where their knowledge is blurry.
    -Cheaper living ( yes cheaper)

.......apart from that.....no change what so ever

There are negatives too........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast