Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal guide to tea... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbobaggins View Post
    Fantastic reading. I love a good tea, I'm particularly fond of Japanese Sencha, Gunpowder Supreme, Earl Grey, Dragon Well, and more, white tea tends to be expensive, I'm guessing this is due to the extra care and time it takes to process it. I was aware of the health benefits before and that was originally why I started drinking it, but I came to love tea and appreciate all the different tastes and the calm that comes with it. Very informative, I take my hat off to you Sir.
    Thanks for the kind words. I think the section on brewing will be the most useful to those just getting into tea for whatever reason, so that they can learn how to make a proper cuppa. The history section might be interesting to the "buffs."

The health benefits are there because this IS a nutrition forum, and I tend to find in general that most people think that tea is merely a good source of antioxidants to reduce free radical damage. It certainly is, but really it's much more complex than that. So I wanted to give a bit of detail for the folks who might not have considered that each type of tea could potentially have different health effects.

Glad you enjoyed the read!

alyx727 is offline Junior Member
    My faves in the tea arena are White Needle Jasmine, great tea with fine NOSE! Not sure of the benefits, but not TETLEY either! My other top is a good, deep green matcha, with a "quasi" tea ceremony. I love the benefits of matcha, and respect the routine of the "way of tea". And definitely NO sugar or other stuff.

Just sayin'
    Thanks
    A newbee

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by alyx727 View Post
    My faves in the tea arena are White Needle Jasmine, great tea with fine NOSE! Not sure of the benefits, but not TETLEY either! My other top is a good, deep green matcha, with a "quasi" tea ceremony. I love the benefits of matcha, and respect the routine of the "way of tea". And definitely NO sugar or other stuff.

Just sayin'
    Thanks
    A newbee
    My current faves are "Bai Hao Oriental Beauty" which is an oolong tea from Taiwan, a good quality Japanese "sencha", and right now I have some awesome pu'erh tea that I'm working through.

But I'm always trying new teas regularly, so my favorites can change at the drop of a hat based on my mood.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbobaggins View Post
    As far as roobois is concerned, this is a brew (me and my friends call them brews or infusions, tisane is a new one on me!), I know that it comes from the redbush plant and is drank traditionally as a national beverage in south africa I believe, sometimes it is sweetened or with milk added, I prefer to drink it as it is.
    Also very good with coconut cream. <takes a sip> I love green teas but I have to be really careful about caffeine. Rooibos is awesome stuff. I started drinking it a few years back when I was in South Africa and haven't had a cold since.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also very good with coconut cream. <takes a sip> I love green teas but I have to be really careful about caffeine. Rooibos is awesome stuff. I started drinking it a few years back when I was in South Africa and haven't had a cold since.
    There is a guy on ALL South African trains who's ONLY job is to have a key to every sleeper car room and deliver a cup of rooibos tea to folks in the morning BEFORE they wake up.

Kind of creepy.

teawithsteph is offline Junior Member
    Great information. I love tea and it is a daily need for me. I prefer blacks in the morning and greens in the afternoon. I have a lovely coconut green tea that I am drinking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by teawithsteph View Post
    Great information. I love tea and it is a daily need for me. I prefer blacks in the morning and greens in the afternoon. I have a lovely coconut green tea that I am drinking right now.
    Thank you. I don't normally go for the flavored tea myself, but that is just my personal opinion. If I want to add some flavor I can add a touch of sweetener or some coconut oil/milk/cream or heavy cream. But even that is rare for me. I'd say 99.5% of the time my tea is taken straight up.

I'm about to make myself some wonderful Japanese Sencha.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    A good treaties. As you might tell from my avatar, I am into tea. Drinking a 2009 Menghai right now, actually.

I have one observation: Oolongs need to go through the oolong process. If you simply induce enzymatic oxidation and then arrest it before it approaches red tea levels, you have a semi-oxidized tea. More information on that subject can be found here: Tea Guardian: Is a Semi-fermented Tea an Oolong?

[QUOTE=Timbobaggins;1174929white tea tends to be expensive, I'm guessing this is due to the extra care and time it takes to process it.[/QUOTE]

Hype, actually, has driven prices up in some places. Here are two inexpensive examples:

http://teahong.com/white-teas/3004-w...-baimudan.html

http://teahong.com/white-teas/3002-w...an-canary.html

That company is where I get most of my tea. More than 90% of my total supply, and 100% of my Chinese teas.

One that I enjoy greatly:

http://teahong.com/white-teas/3006-w...er-needle.html

M.

MEversbergII, I hate how that article uses "fermented" instead of oxidized.

Two COMPLETELY different things!

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I loved tea from childhood. But periodically I would have to give it up for a few weeks because it made my skin break out. Eventually I gave it up entirely. After I went grain- and sugar-free, my skin was so clear, I thought I would give tea another try. It didn't make my face breakout...for a few weeks, anyway. The breakout was much milder than what I experienced years ago, but I have no tolerance for even minor blemishes now. Perhaps an occasional cup is in my future. Heavy usage is out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast