Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure out why you like ghee page

Greenbean is offline Junior Member

Help me figure out why you like ghee

I can't eat regular butter every day, so mostly I eat coconut oil. I've been interested in ghee. I got a jar at Whole Foods last year. I opened it and tasted it and was surprised that it tasted like shortbread cookies. I was actually worriedly trying to figure out if it had flour in it. I ended up never doing anything much with it. I was reading a blog a few days ago and ended up ordering a ghee from amazon that is supposed to be one of the very best. Got it. Tastes like shortbread cookies. I can't use this on anything. Eggs cooked in oil that tastes like shortbread are disgusting. The only thing I can use it on is popcorn, and I don't eat much of that at all. Is there something wrong with my tastebuds? I know what butter tastes like...I love butter and wish I could eat it more often. An egg cooked in butter is good. Ghee does not taste like butter. What is it you all love about ghee? This weird shortbread taste seems incompatible with almost everything we eat.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure. I like butter and haven't had a use for clarified butter since I stopped deep-frying in it.

Zach is offline Banned
    Ghee does dont taste like cookies to me...

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, afraid I can't help you. It definitely doesn't taste like cookies. Try making your own with your favorite butter?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I stopped buying it and use refined coconut oil instead.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    I bought a jar of ghee once and didn't touch it again after opening it and using it one time...it smelled and tasted like rank ass to me. Never had that issue when I made clarified butter myself, though, so who knows. I can't be bothered with the effort, though; coconut oil and bacon fat are just so much easier.
    That said, I don't know that I'd be all that turned off cooking with it tasting like shortbread cookies...I like the subtle bit of sweetness that coconut oil adds to eggs, veg, etc. Obviously this doesn't help you since you've said you just don't like it.
    I suppose you could use it for something dessert like that would be inherently sweet(er) anyway, like roasting pumpkin or apples with it and topping them with cinnamon...?

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Ghee does not smell like cookies to me, maybe I'd like it more if it did!

I'm in the camp of NOT liking how coconut permeates all my foods, since I am not a big fan of the flavor of coconut (though I do love the smell) so I cook almost exclusively with Kerrygold butter. I used to use ghee from whole foods, and while it is nice to cook with I much prefer the flavor of Kerrygold.

My second favorite is olive oil, or whatever fat from the meat I am cooking, if available.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I bought some good organic ghee from my local store. I didn't like it at all, don't think it smelled or tasted like shortbread though, or I would have liked it. I do my own now and love it. You can direct the flavor somewhat, by only clarifying it or cooking it long enough for the milk proteins to turn slightly golden, but not to burning point. Maybe experiment?
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shortbread is made with a lot of butter, so your impression makes a little sense. Ghee is a much better source of vitamins than is coconut oil and affects the final flavour of food much less. I use both among a range of fats. Maybe just use less until you've overcome your initial impression
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sefton is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Gee, I don't know if I like it or not yet though I use it off and on for the past few months. The mention of "rank-ass" smell did a ring a bell with me when I have my doubts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast