Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raising our own chickens page

couchie is offline Member

Raising our own chickens

We are wanting to raise our own chickens, but I
    can't find any decent info on what to feed them.
    Everything online say use grains, but we don't want
    to feed them grains.

They will be feed house hold scraps, as well as foraging
    during the day, but was wondering
    if any of you here raise your own for eating and eggs, and
    what else you feed them.

I did read you can feed them some seeds, but that would
    probably work out expensive if feeding them every day on seeds.

Any ideas would be awesome

Thanks

gini is offline Senior Member
    Hi couchie!

My sister has chickens (about 30 of them) and she just feeds them leftovers after every meal (scraps) - they're scavengers by nature, so really whatever you throw at them, they'll chow.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Scraps are fine, but do remember that birds are adapted to digest grains (which are just seeds anyway) - the grit in their gizzard grinds the seed down.
    However, it seems that too much grain gives a fat bird and can inhibit egg production.
    They do need a source of calcium, over here ground oyster shell is usually given.
    Other than that, free ranging birds would hopefully find their own munchies. By the way - they are not vegetarians either. I've heard of frogs, mice, rats, and baby birds all disappearing down the throat...
    I did wonder about live or dried mealworms as a treat, but that would probably work out very expensive!

How about growing some "crop" plants for them - maybe maize or quinoa, or sunflowers for the seeds....?

check out www.backyardchickens.com, lots of good info there. We're renting right now, hope to buy a house this summer. First thing I'm gonna do is build a coop and get some egg layers. Nothing beats fresh eggs!
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    As NMG has said, chickens are adapted for grain eating. Unlike bovines, for example, which are not naturally adapted for grains, chickens are little grain-consuming machines. Especially if you want maximum egg production, you need to make sure they're getting adequate nutrition. I give my chickens an organic layer mixture. I save all my chickens' egg shells and when they're dry, I put them in a plastic bag and use a marble rolling pin to finely crush them, then add the shells to their food mixture. They also love to peck all the gristle off bones. They eat snails, worms, bugs of all descriptions. For a treat, they get wild bird seed with lots of sunflower seeds. To get them back into their pen at night, I give them minced beef liver. They come running as fast as they can!

couchie is offline Member
    Thank you for all the great replies, Sharonll never heard of giving them minced
    beef liver before, something to think about when we do our next kill, as I can't
    eat offal. Thanks for the links I will be checking them out asp.

Cheers
    couchie

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by couchie View Post
    Thank you for all the great replies, Sharonll never heard of giving them minced
    beef liver before, something to think about when we do our next kill, as I can't
    eat offal. Thanks for the links I will be checking them out asp.

Cheers
    couchie
    Chickens will also eat each other. So if one dies you can feed it to the rest. In fact they'll eat any meat. They are scavengers.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Just a caution - check your local rules and regs. For example, I'd be breaking the law if I gave my chooks ANY food that had possibly been in contact with meat - and that means anything from my own kitchen as I can't (apparently) guarantee no contamination.
    So technically they just get offcuts from the garden before anything enters my kitchen...

In other countries you're probably allowed to feed your animals their natural diet!!

ETA: I'd be careful about feeding them other eggs and chickens though, in terms of developing a taste for it...

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    NMG, sorry to hear you're regulated to that extent! Here in Seattle, they tell us how many chickens we can own according to the size of our lot, but not what we can feed them. As far as feeding them eggs, since I grind the shells to a fine powder, I've never had a problem with the chickens pecking at their own (or another's) eggs. I think they can't recognize the powdered shells in their food. I admit I've given them chicken bones and skin before, without thinking it might give them ideas about eating each other. With only 3 chickens and a large yard, they all get along very well, so I hope that won't ever become a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast