Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Eating Healthy page

prufock is offline Member

The Cost of Eating Healthy

Primal Fuel
    Damn, eating primal food seems to be expensive! Been doing this for 2 months now. Before starting primal eating, I was spending about $200 (CAD) on groceries. For the past 2 months it's been almost double that. What gives? Unfortunately I don't have any receipts from before to compare. Anyone have cost-saving tips.

Relevant info: Single male, no kids, 6', 185#, office job, doing Stronglifts.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I literally started primal eating two days ago, but did my first shopping trip yesterday and spent less than $50. This gave me enough food for at least a week. But I'm a female so I eat less than you, plus I do two intermittent fasting days a week, so that saves some money there Also, a big part of it is where you live and what shopping options you have. My $50 may translate to $100 for where you live and shop. I am keeping it really simple, since I'm just starting out-chicken, veggies, eggs, some naturalish sausages I got on sale, and then I made Mark's tomato soup and spicy meatball recipes-both were cheap to make and will be several meals worth. Also, I'm loving tbe pancake/egg recipe that's posted in the recipe section-only costs a few cents to put together, takes a couple minutes to make and they taste awesome!
    *~Sara~*

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating more meat, seafood, and vegetables, and organic, wild-caught, and grass-fed, and less cheap grains, you can easily double your costs.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if you're eating all grass-fed and pastured, but you don't have to. If you stick with lean cuts of meat such as boneless, skinless chicken breasts, top round roasts, etc., as well as whole squid or clams/mussels that will save you some money. I buy these things along with grass-fed ground beef every week.

As for your produce, it doesn't all need to be organic. I only buy organic for the dirty dozen. I find that my local farmer's market is quite reasonable for things like leafy greens, apples, bell peppers, berries etc.

You can get a bag of potatoes and white rice for next to nothing and eat these on your workout days.

I feed my family of four for $85(US)/week. I'm not sure what that comes to in CAD. Hope this helps!
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Invest in a stand up freezer and buy in bulk. High initial cost but very soon you'll make that back through consistent savings. That way you can take advantage of temporary "specials" and as long as you package it correctly it'll last in the freezer for a long time.

Personally, I'm in the process of buying 1/2 a grass fed and finished Lowline Angus steer. About $4.00/lb.

Just eat a peach.

krsn89 is offline Member
    As someone who also lives in Canada, I feel your pain... food is so expensive here (Toronto). I can't always afford to buy organic/grass-fed/pastured everything so I try when I can afford it but otherwise I just shop at a "regular" grocery store. I eat a lot of starches now so that is super cheap. Whether it will fit in with your primal way of living is something you'll need to decide. I eat a lot of white rice and potatoes now and it fills me up and rice and taters are both dirt cheap! I eat a lot of canned sardines too, and you can get these at grocery stores for fairly cheap.. I buy them at an Asian supermarket and they're under $1 a can. Also, this sounds odd but intermittent fasting has helped me. I don't (usually) eat breakfast or lunch so I don't ever have to really worry about those meals. I do have fairly large dinners but again starch is a big filler for me.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    totally agree with the buying bulk. will save you tons.

also, you may have to shop around a bit. i found that when i lived in the city, i probably shopped in about 4 different stores based on price differences. one store had rock-bottom veg/fruit, other had more sales etc.

check out online ordering too for goods like coconut oil, spices etc. i get lots from well.ca but have to keep my eye out for sales to make it worth my while.

also like the above, you don't need to buy organic everything. buying seasonally also helps as stores tend to get more in bulk so have to reduce price.

for me the take home is it makes me more aware of food, price/cost and where it comes from. it's a good thing BUT it takes a little time to maximize your dollar!

Zach is offline Banned
    Get the majority of your calories from potatoes, fruit, dairy and eggs. Keep meat to just once a day and dont buy many veggies be ause they are just expensive fiber.

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    I will second most of the advice here.

I will also add, from personal experience, that you've got to make sure you're considering the cost of non-grocery meals before going Primal/Paleo. I know how much I spent before I did, and I spent a ridiculous additional amount eating out because I was too lazy to cook what I bought... I consider my food costs to have decreased significantly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast