Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cost of Eating Healthy page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I try and buy big cuts- I got a boneless leg of lamb that will be 5 meals for $25. Lamb chops are $12 a lb, so 5 meals would be $60 bought that way. My freezer is full.

It does save money on eating out.

For reference, my neighbor spent $20 on McDonalds for 3. My meal that night was lamb burgers with sweet potatoe fries and asparagus. My meal ended up being under $20 for 4 servings. The lamb was $12, $3 for asparagus, $2 for potatoes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Argon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Damn, eating primal food seems to be expensive! Been doing this for 2 months now. Before starting primal eating, I was spending about $200 (CAD) on groceries. For the past 2 months it's been almost double that. What gives? Unfortunately I don't have any receipts from before to compare. Anyone have cost-saving tips.

Relevant info: Single male, no kids, 6', 185#, office job, doing Stronglifts.
    Hey, fellow Islander! I feel your pain, do I ever feel your pain... I'm lucky if I can be after getting a month's worth of groceries for under $400.

My advice:
    -forget buying fresh produce during the winter months. yellowing broccoli for $5? No thanks.
    -in the summer, go to your local farmer's markets to get produce. good quality, generally cheaper than the grocer
    -depending on what coast you live on, there's a few farmers around who will sell you wholesale meat (Oliver's Farm comes to mind in St. John's, there's also a pig guy out west who travels around and delivers his pork)
    -when you see sales on at Sobeys or Dominion for meat (every few months Country Ribbon will have chicken breasts nice and cheap, like $2/lb, or ground beef for $2-3/lb) buy as much as your freezer will hold.
    -buy whatever meat is on sale that week. you might have to deal with eating pork for two weeks, then eating chicken for two weeks, etc.
    -if you knows anyone out ATB that fishes, hit em up during food fishery and stock pile your freezer full of cod
    -same with moose. go in with some buddies or your neighbour's nan for a license
    -grow your own root veg. this might be difficult if you're in town with a lawn the size of a postage stamp, but you can grow potatoes in a barrell: 4 Simple Steps to Grow a Hundred Pounds of Potatoes in a Barrel | greenUPGRADER (disclaimer: i have not tried this)
    -if you're drinking lots of milk, look round your local convenience store. milk really spiked in prices in the grocery stores, but I get 4L every week at Marie's for $7, not much more than cost.

Basically, just make sure you got a big freezer and then stockpile anytime butter/bacon/ground beef/chicken goes on sale, plus take advantage of the moose and rec cod season. Good luck!

Random fact: did you know that if the ferries broke down and we were stranded, the entire island would only have enough food for like, 3 days? Scary stuff.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krsn89 View Post
    As someone who also lives in Canada, I feel your pain... food is so expensive here (Toronto). I can't always afford to buy organic/grass-fed/pastured everything so I try when I can afford it but otherwise I just shop at a "regular" grocery store. I eat a lot of starches now so that is super cheap. Whether it will fit in with your primal way of living is something you'll need to decide. I eat a lot of white rice and potatoes now and it fills me up and rice and taters are both dirt cheap! I eat a lot of canned sardines too, and you can get these at grocery stores for fairly cheap.. I buy them at an Asian supermarket and they're under $1 a can. Also, this sounds odd but intermittent fasting has helped me. I don't (usually) eat breakfast or lunch so I don't ever have to really worry about those meals. I do have fairly large dinners but again starch is a big filler for me.
    Yeah I here ya living in Toronto, food is EXPENSIVE. I stopped shopping for my produce at big grocery stores. Luckily there is an Asian supermarket by my place and I spend about $14 week on fruits and veggies. I actually get my meat at a local farm called Brookers Meat. They supply to organic grocery stores but I order mine online and they come to my place to deliver. I have to order $200 worth of meat a time because that's the minimum before they would deliver. This last about 1.5 months.

To the OP, what helped for me was when I switched to Paleo I had this urged to make paleofied treats. This got really expensive because of the ingredients I needed. I also stopped buying more than I can eat in a week. I never let anything go bad. If I had left over meat I would eat it for breakfast or find a way to not have to throw it out. I also stopped buying too many varieties. I know it may seem like you are eating the same thing over and over but if you find a way to cook your food differently then that's a bonus. Yeah I understand your taller and weigh more so naturally you are going to need more food.

prufock is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Hey, fellow Islander! I feel your pain, do I ever feel your pain... I'm lucky if I can be after getting a month's worth of groceries for under $400.
    Always a pleasant surprise to find out I'm not the only Newfoundlander lurking around a website! I will actually probably be getting a trip on the water for the food fishery myself over the summer, and dad's been hinting at a moose hunting trip this year, so we'll see how that goes.

Good comments from everyone here, thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123