Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Eating Healthy page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Buy a half a cow at a time.....you get a huge discount for buying in bulk. Thats about it. Thats approximately 200lbs of meat to live on. That should be good for a month

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Any time I think this way of eating is expensive, I consider the cost of cancer, diabetes, obesity, rotting teeth, or any of the other diseases of civilization. Makes grass-fed beef and pastured eggs seem a bargain by comparison.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    It's very informative to do a slow recon of the $/lb. figure on meat and produce. I buy a lot of bulk carrots, bananas, clementines, canned seafood, turkey dark meat, and gratuitous butter vehicles like cabbage and yellow onions.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Damn, eating primal food seems to be expensive! Been doing this for 2 months now. Before starting primal eating, I was spending about $200 (CAD) on groceries. For the past 2 months it's been almost double that. What gives? Unfortunately I don't have any receipts from before to compare. Anyone have cost-saving tips.

Relevant info: Single male, no kids, 6', 185#, office job, doing Stronglifts.
    Are you cooking more of your own food and eating out less? Your grocery bill will go up, but your total food budget will go down.

Also, if you weren't actually budgeting or tracking before, how can you be really sure? Are you making bigger shopping trips, instead of several small ones? Are you counting just food, or including non-food also?

I asked a friend recently what she spends on groceries for her family of 5 and she said about $200/week. I thought that was a little low based on what I know of their eating/spending habits...turns out thats just what she spends at COSTCO in a week. Not any other grocery spending.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    And yes, I have a ton of $ saving tips for you! Without knowing what you've been doing already, here goes:

- shop the sales and stock your freezer and pantry when you find rock bottom deals. If something like coconut milk or toilet paper is half price, buy as many as the sale allows (a limit means its a loss leader, and the store isn't making any money on it, so its a good deal)
    - keep a "don't spend more than x" price list for your most common food items. And stick to it. You won't always find a sale, but at least you won't get ripped off.
    - build your menus around what you have on hand, not the other way around. If you buy just what you need as you go, you'll pay full price most of the time.
    - be open to eating the same meat all week long if that's what you bought on sale
    - be open to eating produce and cuts of meat you don't normally eat
    - be prepared to shop at more than one store. Deals are cyclical (6weeks, 12 weeks) and every store is on a different cycle.
    - don't believe the hype that Superstore and Walmart have the lowest prices.
    - clip coupons for non-food items. This is where the biggest grocery store savings are.
    - buy produce thats in season. build your menus around what you buy on sale
    - buy meat from a butcher in bulk, 'cowshare' a 1/2 or 1/4 cow with friends if you dont' have the room or the budget for the whole thing.
    - rice and potatoes are your friends.
    - cheese is a budget breaker
    - shop the ethnic markets and small produce stores
    - plan to eat your leftovers, don't waste food
    - cook all your own food and don't eat out
    - don't get hung up on buying organic, pastured, grass fed.
    - buy the best you can find with the resources you have.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

mantra is offline Member
    Prufock, can you buy from local producers? Like, straight from a farmer or through a farmer's market? It's more work than just heading to the store, but it can be a lot cheaper.

As someone who also lives in Canada, I feel your pain...
    I once paid over $5.00 for the saddest head of lettuce in the Yukon. Vancouver's food prices don't seem so bad now

owanchez5 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I just font buy organic or grass fed. I figure the normal stuff won't kill me if I wash my produce enough, so I manage to feed my parents and me on ~300 a month usd.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Charles W. James is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    - don't get hung up on buying organic, pastured, grass fed.
    I think you wrote this for me Sandra

Just this morning I spent about $160 for organic veggies and fruits, I don't expect them to last more than a week. (My kids want to eat fruits all day long!)

In Dubai, organic stores and farms are just a few and prices are most of the time pretty expensive.

I'm thinking of growing my own food in the future...

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You're in Newfoundland. Is fish cheap there? Eat lots of fish, wild fresh or canned. Especially sardines, herring, mackerel, etc. These are usually quite inexpensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast