Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eat Like Grok, Think Like a Peasant page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Eat Like Grok, Think Like a Peasant

Primal Fuel
    What does think like a peasant mean to me? Well it means being interested in things that are in my immediate vicinity as opposed to nationally or internationally; eat local, think local. I don't eat mass produced foods why should I consume mass produced news? Both have a toxic effect on me and are not designed for my benefit but rather to make some one some money. Mass produced news leaves me either feeling angry or depressed.

I already don't watch TV or read the paper (kind of like eliminating wheat) but I was listening to the local noncommercial radio station (NPR and Democracy Now, similar to GF grains) while I worked in the kitchen but now I'm going all the way and eliminating that too. Will I be completely ignorant of the world outside my little backwater town? No, I'll hear about things in the greater world through word of mouth, rumour if you will. At least then the person's bias will be clear in a rustic sort of way unlike the slick, honed propaganda of national media.

It's been a week since I've started this regime and I think I'm feeling slightly more calm and grounded. I don't know if I will be able to sustain this new way of thinking, only time will tell.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I have also been thinking this way. Most "news" is just a bunch of irrelevant speculation and lies to make you afraid so you buy the stuff on the commercials. Most people do (or should) have enough of their own goals, problems, challenges, etc. that they should focus on these things before worrying about something stupid from the TV.

"Don't you care that some people got horribly murdered in some other state?" Not really. "Aren't you outraged and offended by what he said?" Nope. "Watch this video of something bad happening to someone else! Hilarious, isn't it?" No, you sociopath!

Tim Ferriss wrote about this in his first book also. The idea is that to be creative, accomplish great things, and so on, you need to reduce unnecessary distractions and bullshit. I see it sort of like a mental paleo diet. Don't eat too much and don't eat cheap shitty poisions. Same thing with the thoughts and ideas that you take in.

I haven't voluntarily watched or listened to news broadcasts in over a year and I haven't missed anything. My girlfriend watches it in the mornings before work and from what I overhear it is the same irrelevant crap every day.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    I am sure the people whose mouths you heard it from, subsequently heard it from TV and other such 'honed propaganda of national media.

I'd say, watch the news, then make your own interpretations. Turn it off if the images are sickening you, but being ignorant has no redeeming qualities.

Read it from a newspaper if you're that concerned. It's harder to get mis-information in a newspaper, as it takes the longest to publish (unlike instant online media). People have been communicating news via text for thousands of years, and news via images for even longer.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

I realize that the people who tell me the news will have gotten it from some media source, it will just have their particular slant which will be more personal, and colored by their personal perspective, which for me is preferable. Kind of like folk art interpretations of cultural icons.

Perhaps my post sounded a little naive, but I can assure you I am not. I studied visual media and am well aware of the history of images and the role they play in culture.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    nice. I do the same thing from time to time. I didnt use the internet for like a month for this reason- too much command-cued emotional bullshit that has nothing to do with my conditions. I treat barber shops and kids on bikes that hang out on the street as my media.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Nice to hear from you Mr. Perfidy, you were missed during your month long absence. Street news is just as valid IMO.

And Markbt it's good to know I have company in my "ignorance".

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not a bad idea, Urban Forager. Definitely will lessen inner turmoil.

I do occasionally like to search "news of the weird."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not a bad idea, Urban Forager. Definitely will lessen inner turmoil.

I do occasionally like to search "news of the weird."
    Hubby and son like to tell me news of that sort, I always find that entertaining.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a great idea to turn off the news. I was thinking about this just last night. Here's what always happens:

1. There is some big giant tragedy.
    2. It becomes this Big Drama that the news plays out, showing the same images over and over, writing the same narrative over and over: We Americans are so great. We come together in tragedy. We will persevere. The authorities are brave and keep us safe. Blah blah blah. Images of people praying. Images of authority figures being brave. Politicians shedding tears and speaking sermons to us. It makes me sick.
    3. The local news gets into it. People call in to the local news "How can I be safe from poisonous mail?" They try to reassure us that authorities keep us safe. Safety is the most important thing. Stay inside, report suspicious things, stay safe. Whatever you do, don't go outside and live. Don't go outside and notice there are friendly mothers walking their babies in strollers and people with happy puppies out enjoying the evening air. Don't go outside and see the birds and the flowers and the changing seasons. Don't go outside and notice them ruining the desert with industrial windmills and chopping down the forest and polluting all the water. Just stay home, take your meds and be good.

God this all makes me so disgusted.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Actually, I don't mean to be rude, but what you are describing might be considered by some "provincial". I used to ignore the news but these days I find I feel better if I follow various media stories and themes (especially those that are health related) to get a sense of what the masses are being programmed to believe. It can be a distraction, I agree, but these days if you don't keep up, you can get left behind. And some of it is actually good info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast