Thread: Yet another “help me bust through my plateau” thread page

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member

Yet another “help me bust through my plateau” thread

I’m 41, male, 5’7”, 165 lbs., with some belly flab. I’ve been primal/sometimes primal-ish for a few years but I’ve been practicing strict paleo lately (no dairy, gluten, grains, legumes, soy, sugar, etc., not too many nuts, not much fruit) for about a month.

I get plenty of sleep, have no stress, take no meds, and have no medical issues or impairments. I don’t eat processed food and I take a vitamin D supplement and fish oil. I lift 3 times per week (I do the New Rules of Lifting for Life program which combines strength training along with core work, stability, power, and some metabolic conditioning). I go for at least one walk every day, usually two walks per day lately.

I skip breakfast most days in order to IF, and because I’m just plain not hungry in the mornings, so why eat? Lunch is typically kind of small and supper is usually a lot of food. All strict paleo of course. I do not snack during the day, but admittedly I have a little problem with snacking at night.

My body loves strict paleo and I feel amazing all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy and healthy but I’m trying to lose the last of my belly fat and love handles and I’m stalled. It seems I’m doing everything right so what can I do differently? And ideas? I’m totally at a loss regarding what else to do.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    At 41 (which I'm not categorizing as old by any stretch), unfortunately you've got to consider the effects of age and genetics. It may take a bit more to get rid of any extra fat hanging around. I'm not familiar with the workout routine you mentioned, but is there any HIIT included? If you're really sticking to strict paleo, I'd introduce some sprint work of some form and see how you respond. In my experience, it's always been an effective way to "target" fat loss.

Yes, I do some HIIT and sometimes it is sprints.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Paleobird Guest
    I'm not saying you necessarily must count calories forever but I think a little stretch of tracking your intake might do you some good just to see where you stand. How can you fix something if you're not sure what's broken.

It doesn't sound like you have a whole lot left to lose. Perhaps just tightening up on the snackage and doing some planks would help. A lot of people don't really have a clue as to how much they are eating until they track however.

Good advice. Thanks to both of you.

rockrunner Guest
    Looks like your doing everything right and it will take a bit of nit picking on the fringe items to get the last pounds off. The last resort is to actively lower your food intake on the carbs and fat but before that I would get rid of the nuts/snacking and maybe tailor the weight training or add just a bit non-chronic cardio. I'm about the same weight as you but a bit taller and eating nuts makes me skinny fat quickly so I pretty much don't eat them anymore...might be worth a try.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    How much sleep do you get at night and what quality would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Don't sound like you've got a major health issue, sounds more like aesthetics, I'm a just bit taller and sitting at around the same weight, I just focus on my capabilities and these are steadily improving.
    I do 20/4 IF and have an active daily work life.
    Personally I think you're doing fine, you've only recently tightened up your diet, give your body time, IMO/IME health is deepset and even though you may feel well there is much more work to be done within your body, I take a pinch of my own flab occassionally and just tell my body, all's good we are working on getting better, mind you that is on the back of never having felt this good my entire life.
    When all is said and done, even if I never get those picture postcard abs, doesn't phase me, I feel good.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To The Rebooted Body - I get 8 hours of sleep per night and I would rate the quality a 10. I sleep like a baby these days. Pre-primal I slept like crap. It’s simply amazing what a healthy lifestyle can do. I’ve tried to get more than 8 hours of sleep per night but it just doesn’t work for me. Apparently my body likes to stick with 8.

To Omni - I agree I’m doing fine and have nothing to worry about. More time with this is in order. It took me decades of the SAD and being fat to get where I was pre-primal, so it will take more time. Being 41 doesn’t help.