Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm desperate for advice. page 9

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Omg, lol. Way to fuck him up again, Neck!

Dude your just trading in one orthorexic elimination diet for another. Elimination diets do not work because the problem is not a certain food to avoid, the problem is you are ruining your health by eliminating foods!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    What peats a pretty anti-starch the gut should be sterile sorta guy. Thats the only difference in the beginning from what I can tell. Other than relying heavily on egg yolks and bone broth to heal the gut and get easily assimilated nutrition. The good thing about SCD is its progressive. Yes its an elimination diet, but it removes EVERYTHING....then adds stuff back in systematically, and thats what the OP is missing. He's been haphazardly removing and reintroducing without much rhyme or reason. This is an elimination diet with the full intent of reintroducing all the normal food items over time.

OK so I just read the OP's first post again and it looks like primary complaints for this 22 yo male are mild acne, bloating, and some dark circles under his eyes. So yeah, these could all be associated a bit with orthorexia....except the bloating. That seems to be something he should be able to care for with HCL tabs if some self testing makes it seem necessary. That and a good probiotic may go far.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dude your just trading in one orthorexic elimination diet for another. Elimination diets do not work because the problem is not a certain food to avoid, the problem is you are ruining your health by eliminating foods!
    Nstocks, you seem really stressed out. How was your health before all of this? Did you have problems with bloating then? Why did you go Primal?

If you were fine to begin with then I think you should eat all real foods (except maybe wheat). Just reintroduce slowly.

I am Zach's nodding-in-agreement friend.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zizou is offline Senior Member
    At the end of the day, isnt the final message (nay the only message) "everything in moderation"? No dependance on fat, carbs or proteins, just eat a varied diet to your taste and goals and let it all fall into place. Aslong as its primal a.k.a whole natural food, and not in an abundance, you should be fine. I get carried away too with the veggies and sometimes fat. And i did have a fear of carbs aswell, for practically the same reasons as you. In fact your whole story resonates with me because there are quiet a few similarities, and in all honesty neither of us is actually healthy because the symptoms you explain aren't normal are they?

Ive increased my carbs and lowered fat and do feel better. I still overdose a bit on veggies and need to break my meals up into 3 rather than 2 that i go with these days, buts more because of my poor digestive system than anything.

I think some gut dysbiosis would be at play, i know for me it definitley is because of a track history with antibioitics and consuming foods i was intolerant to as a youngster but never really knowing about them.

I do have to be wary of fodmaps too, diagnosed with fructose malabsorption, theres a test you can do, so whilst fruit is being recommended in here, you might want to check on your portion sizes.
    I think varied diet, good eating practices and active lifestyle including social life are all necessary solutions.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I agree that willy nilly elimination diets are bad. They won't really tell you anything. Trust me.
    I agree that SCD is beneficial for figuring out a few things that really bother you while you try to figure out what's really going on.

YogaBare is not sure if Zach is her dream or if she is Zach's dream.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Here's the problem... I frequently see the orthorexic diagnosis thrown around as a gateway diagnosis for "so eat more sugar". Or, "maybe this paleo thing is too strict for you" I don't agree with either statement in terms of treating someone with an actual orthorexic disorder. But, if the OP thinks this is sounding like him then I would recommend reading this blog and some of the links from there Evolutionary Psychiatry: Orthorexia in the Paleo/Primal Community

Zach is offline Banned
    Neck, the only reason i give the advice i do is because i have seen it work many times on individuals just like him. This is a 22 year old male whi felt better before eating healthy and is wasting his prime years of life trying to regain health with faulty principles.

Its totally up to him to decide whats next, the only reason i care is because i was just like him at that age and i wish i had listened to the people who were telling me that i was insane for doing such an extreme diet. I know primal is not inherently extreme but you combine that with the other low carb gurus and fear mongering of sugar and it becomes very extreme very fast and all of a sudden you wonder how your health got so bad and what went wrong.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    YogaBare is not sure if Zach is her dream or if she is Zach's dream.
    Zach is pure consciousness and I am but his echo-cho-cho-cho-cho...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    At the end of the day, isnt the final message (nay the only message) "everything in moderation"?
    Personally I think that the "everything in moderation" is something that should apply after you eliminate the things that are damaging you, not instead of asking questions about what might be causing problems.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Zach is pure consciousness and I am but his echo-cho-cho-cho-cho...
    Awesome.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast