Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 114

Thread: I'm desperate for advice. page 8

  1. #71
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Primal Fuel
    Yes i agree with quiting eating all coconut products during this experiment. The. You can reintroduce them and see how you feel. Stick to fruit, dairy, meat, eggs and potatoes.

    The carb crashes are from being hypoglycemic and or insulin resistant. Both are from a low carb/high protein diet.

  2. #72
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    And the ejaculation thing is backwards. With good hormones, thyroid and digestion (nutrient assimilation) you should have a very high libido and daily ejaculation should he the norm. Saying you only do it once a week at 22 says a lot about your current health.

  3. #73
    Nstocks's Avatar
    Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes i agree with quiting eating all coconut products during this experiment. The. You can reintroduce them and see how you feel. Stick to fruit, dairy, meat, eggs and potatoes.

    The carb crashes are from being hypoglycemic and or insulin resistant. Both are from a low carb/high protein diet.
    Insulin resistant! That's why I thought eating carbs would make it worse. I recently watched a video of Robbb wolf shopping/guiding through a shop at schloais (sp) on youtube. He suggested that people with insulin issues should not eat much fruit or carbs. I guess my perception of that was no fruit and very low carb!

    I'm not sure how I would plan a meal, but could I have like lamb meatballs and fig compote? Sweet potato and chicken. Then for another meal just a load of fruit? I understand that I would be better eating meat at just one meal? Would fruit jelly make with Great Lakes beef gelatin and fruit juice also be good or bad because it will be high in protien?

    I'm learning about protein, I'm not really sure if mine is high or low.

    Thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 04-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.

  4. #74
    Nstocks's Avatar
    Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    And the ejaculation thing is backwards. With good hormones, thyroid and digestion (nutrient assimilation) you should have a very high libido and daily ejaculation should he the norm. Saying you only do it once a week at 22 says a lot about your current health.
    For sure, I guess most 22 year old males are pretty horny! I'm not sexually active which of course makes a difference to libido.

    I'm not abstaining from it again though lol!

  5. #75
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Insulin resistant! That's why I thought eating carbs would make it worse. I recently watched a video of Robbb wolf shopping/guiding through a shop at schloais (sp) on youtube. He suggested that people with insulin issues should not eat much fruit or carbs. I guess my perception of that was no fruit and very low carb!

    I'm not sure how I would plan a meal, but could I have like lamb meatballs and fig compote? Sweet potato and chicken. Then for another meal just a load of fruit? I understand that I would be better eating meat at just one meal? Would fruit jelly make with Great Lakes beef gelatin and fruit juice also be good or bad because it will be high in protien?

    I'm learning about protein, I'm not really sure if mine is high or low.

    Thank you so much for your help.
    Pardon my french but Robb Wolf is a jackass. Just ao you know he totally did a 180 on carb levels.

    Insulin resistance is caused by a low carb diet, some will try to tell you that this is ok but of course its not. Adding carbs back in slowely will get you used to them again and eventaully you will be able to eat huge meals of carbs. Hypoglycemic crashes usually come from eating to much lean protein without any carbs.

    Everything you posted sounds just fine. Start the day with some fruit or fruit juice and then just eat what seems right. Great lakes gelatin is an awesome product and you can have as much as you want, , gelatin is the opposite of muscle meat sand it has many positive actions on digestion and thyroid.

  6. #76
    Nstocks's Avatar
    Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Pardon my french but Robb Wolf is a jackass. Just ao you know he totally did a 180 on carb levels.

    Insulin resistance is caused by a low carb diet, some will try to tell you that this is ok but of course its not. Adding carbs back in slowely will get you used to them again and eventaully you will be able to eat huge meals of carbs. Hypoglycemic crashes usually come from eating to much lean protein without any carbs.

    Everything you posted sounds just fine. Start the day with some fruit or fruit juice and then just eat what seems right. Great lakes gelatin is an awesome product and you can have as much as you want, , gelatin is the opposite of muscle meat sand it has many positive actions on digestion and thyroid.
    Ha, I guess I've gone to extreme in believing that everyone should eat less than 150g carbs per day. I always got the Paleo impression that unless you are at crossfit 4 times a week, you shouldn't be eating carbs! That's was quite sad to me.

    I'm really excited about not eating vegetables. Don't get me wrong, I love them but they aren't working very well for me and fruit will be a refreshing change.

  7. #77
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Ha, I guess I've gone to extreme in believing that everyone should eat less than 150g carbs per day. I always got the Paleo impression that unless you are at crossfit 4 times a week, you shouldn't be eating carbs! That's was quite sad to me.

    I'm really excited about not eating vegetables. Don't get me wrong, I love them but they aren't working very well for me and fruit will be a refreshing change.
    Omg.... listen, under 150g of carbs a day is not "extreme". I would say most people who eat potato's and fruit to satiety STILL end up under that just by avoiding refined sugar, juices, and grains. Your talking 4-5 pieces of fruit or 3-4 potato's a day to hit 150g. Seriously there is nothing extreme about that. With your issues you may consider the GAPS protocol. I know zachs pimping the Pete approach and your kind of digging it, but I think Robb Wolfe and even Mark are quite moderate in their approach. Your not going to end up insulin resistant via low carb eating unless you are restricting to under 50g/day and even at that it's a different sort of resistance and yes it's nonpathogenic. But, at 100-150g this isn't an issue anyhow. Ask a number of posters who eat in this range. Ok, back to you two hashing some of this out.

    BTW, I agree that your focus should be meat, eggs, fruit and tubers.... but I would prefer my order . That and you may even go SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) for a while and eliminate the tubers for the beginning. If your dealing with gut dysbiosis then the long chain starches can actually contribute by hanging around and feeding the bad bacteria. Here is a link to some info on that The Stages of SCD

  8. #78
    Nstocks's Avatar
    Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Omg.... listen, under 150g of carbs a day is not "extreme". I would say most people who eat potato's and fruit to satiety STILL end up under that just by avoiding refined sugar, juices, and grains. Your talking 4-5 pieces of fruit or 3-4 potato's a day to hit 150g. Seriously there is nothing extreme about that. With your issues you may consider the GAPS protocol. I know zachs pimping the Pete approach and your kind of digging it, but I think Robb Wolfe and even Mark are quite moderate in their approach. Your not going to end up insulin resistant via low carb eating unless you are restricting to under 50g/day and even at that it's a different sort of resistance and yes it's nonpathogenic. But, at 100-150g this isn't an issue anyhow. Ask a number of posters who eat in this range. Ok, back to you two hashing some of this out.

    BTW, I agree that your focus should be meat, eggs, fruit and tubers.... but I would prefer my order . That and you may even go SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) for a while and eliminate the tubers for the beginning. If your dealing with gut dysbiosis then the long chain starches can actually contribute by hanging around and feeding the bad bacteria. Here is a link to some info on that The Stages of SCD
    I been over thinking the amount of carbs in fruit and sweet potato by quite a lot. For example. orange juice is 10g carbs per 100ml, pineapple by weight is the same. This is less than sweet potato which although has very little sugar, it has twice the carbs at 20g per 100g.

    The GAPS diet for some reason scares me. I don't know why, I don't even know that much about it other than it's eggs and a lot of homemade soups. It also boasts sauerkraut and other ferments.

    Looking at the intro to SCD, it appears that I can have grape juice, apple cider vinegar, carrots (cooked for 4 hours!), meat and eggs. Is that right? That's very limiting to me. I see that the intro diet is anything from 2-5 days so that's not as bad as I thought. After this period, would I see how I feel and move to stage one of SCD?

    Today was shopping day, but my Mum lost the list. I now have the grapes, courgette and orange juice so I'm going to have to go and shop for myself anyway. I'm also looking for a 'diet' (short time to heal) that require little effort and little stress. I hate worrying about having to boil a pot for hours and things like that. Although I'm at home most of the time, I don't want that time to be completely consumed by cooking more 'diet foods'. this is why I love the idea of mostly fruit because I don't really have to do anything for once. (again being the only one in the household to cook every meal from scratch)

    EDIT: Just for some perspective, what do people on a typical SAD diet eat, carb wise? I'm only in the moderate/low carb community so I know what that is, but I've no idea what typical grain/refined sugar crab intake is. Over 600g?
    Last edited by Nstocks; 04-27-2013 at 05:05 AM.

  9. #79
    Sooze's Avatar
    Sooze is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    EDIT: Just for some perspective, what do people on a typical SAD diet eat, carb wise? I'm only in the moderate/low carb community so I know what that is, but I've no idea what typical grain/refined sugar crab intake is. Over 600g?
    Bread - lots of bread. Cereal. Pasta. Crackers. Chips. Pastries. Fast food.

    And that's just in one day...haha. It's horrifying, when you go back and look at what people eat once you don't eat any of that.

    I am putting in my opinion for the higher carb approach and adding some variety of vegetables and fruits. And fat. I found that when I went fully primal, I was eating ALL thyroid inhibiting foods and went from feeling good (not awesome) to feeling awful... dark circles under my eyes, super bloated face and neck, dry pasty skin and hair.. had a low thyroid T4 number for the first time and also Vitamin D tested very low. I added some more vegetables which were NOT cruciferous, went fanatical on checking for hidden soy, and tried to do more thyroid stimulating things.. also spend enough time in the sun every day (easy for me in South Carolina!) but if not I supplement decently with D3. After a couple of weeks the bloat that dropped was amazing.. water pouring off of me it felt like. Weird. Oh, I also salt liberally when I cook now, with iodized sea salt, as the low carb approach and lack of processed foods reduces salt, and lack of iodine can inhibit thyroid as well.

    It's worth a try to make a change.. as you said your approach hasn't changed as much as you'd like. You can always go back to your WOE but at least you'll know you tried something else! Good luck! I was interested to read everyone's ideas in this thread.

  10. #80
    Nstocks's Avatar
    Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    472
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
    Bread - lots of bread. Cereal. Pasta. Crackers. Chips. Pastries. Fast food.

    And that's just in one day...haha. It's horrifying, when you go back and look at what people eat once you don't eat any of that.

    I am putting in my opinion for the higher carb approach and adding some variety of vegetables and fruits. And fat. I found that when I went fully primal, I was eating ALL thyroid inhibiting foods and went from feeling good (not awesome) to feeling awful... dark circles under my eyes, super bloated face and neck, dry pasty skin and hair.. had a low thyroid T4 number for the first time and also Vitamin D tested very low. I added some more vegetables which were NOT cruciferous, went fanatical on checking for hidden soy, and tried to do more thyroid stimulating things.. also spend enough time in the sun every day (easy for me in South Carolina!) but if not I supplement decently with D3. After a couple of weeks the bloat that dropped was amazing.. water pouring off of me it felt like. Weird. Oh, I also salt liberally when I cook now, with iodized sea salt, as the low carb approach and lack of processed foods reduces salt, and lack of iodine can inhibit thyroid as well.

    It's worth a try to make a change.. as you said your approach hasn't changed as much as you'd like. You can always go back to your WOE but at least you'll know you tried something else! Good luck! I was interested to read everyone's ideas in this thread.
    BREAD!!! Oh my, my Dad lives of the stuff. It really is horrific how much he eats. Then if he sees me eating real food, he's like "Oh I guess I'll just have a sandwich and cereals". He doesn't mean to make me feel bad for not cooking for him, but he tends to think his choices are 'just there' and he's too lazy to prepare and cook. He loves those foods anyway so he's not bothered.

    I think I'm really going to experiment with more foods. I plan on doing the SCD intro diet with grape juice, carrots, eggs and meats. I'll either use butter or make ghee instead of coconut oil.

    I'll see how I feel and then continue with the SCD diet if it works well. There seems to be a good structure for me as opposed to just eating a bunch of foods which are in no order.

    Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm excited to change things up.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •