Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm desperate for advice. page 6

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Ok, so for the next week would it be better to try whole fruit or buy fruit juice whilst eating meat or fish just once a day and don't eat vegetables? (maybe just some salad?)
    Fruit and fresh juice would be best. Try for tropical and juicey ripe fruit. Grapes, citrus, pineapple, mango, bananas. Pulp free OJ would work too. I would recommend you go without any vegetables for the week so you can get a feeling if its the fiber thats causing it. Dont worry, fruits are actually way healthier then veg anyway. You can have other protein meals but keep muscle meat to only once a day. Dairy is really good for you and also gelatin/beef stock, get these in daily as well. Potatoes of any kind is also fine.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Zach - what you're doing clearly isn't working, so it would be worth trying something else. However, I would recommend that you make the change very gradually. Introduce foods one by one so you can see how they effect you. Start with potatoes maybe: Personally I'm extremely prone to bloating and I find they actually reduce it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Fruit and fresh juice would be best. Try for tropical and juicey ripe fruit. Grapes, citrus, pineapple, mango, bananas. Pulp free OJ would work too. I would recommend you go without any vegetables for the week so you can get a feeling if its the fiber thats causing it. Dont worry, fruits are actually way healthier then veg anyway. You can have other protein meals but keep muscle meat to only once a day. Dairy is really good for you and also gelatin/beef stock, get these in daily as well. Potatoes of any kind is also fine.

Got it. I've made a list (tomorrow parents go shopping so for once they can absorb the majority of my grocery bill!)

Pomegranate Juice (no added sugar!)
    Orange Juice (no added sugar!)
    Blueberries
    Pineapple
    Sweet Potato
    Kiwi
    Oranges
    Raspberries
    Red grapes

I have plenty of bones in the freezer and I've been drinking 2 cups a day for the past month. (this made no difference either) but I'll keep it up.

I'm really looking forward to this experiment! It's a long time since I stopped looking at carb/sugar content! It's going to make me look silly now that I have fruit juice, when I tell my brother to stop drinking it! (although he is obese and this is the only 'fresh' food he eats)!

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Whatever Nstocks does, it needs to be systematic and what yoga11 suggested about meat and veg for a while, then adding different foods back one at a time, seems to be the most systematic. Otherwise, the poor guy keeps jumping from suggestion to suggestion without knowing for sure what helps or hurts: Low carb! High carbs! Lots of dairy! No nuts! Histamines! Coconuts!

For example, he mentioned that he doesn't eat coconuts except coconut oil because coconut yogurt and flour bother him. But in the last two weeks he's had coconut 10/28 meals in the form of coconut curry meatballs, coconut curry chicken, coconut bars and coconut mint.

He may have a problem with histamines, but he did not eliminate histamines from his diet. Instead he took a supplement which did not work.

Each tablet contains: Vitamin C (as Calcium Ascorbate) 250 mg, Quercetin Chalcone 250 mg, Bromelain (600 GDU) 250 mg, Grape Seed Extract 150 mg yielding Proanthocyanidins 142.5 mg, Dimethylglycine HCI 100 mg, Perilla (Perilla frutescens) Seed Extract 75 mg, yielding Polyphenols (3%) 2.5 mg, Rosemarinic Acid (1.5%) 1.13 mg, Luteolin (0.1%) 80 mcg, Other ingredients: stearic acid, vegetable stearate, croscarmellose sodium, silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxyl propyl methyl cellulose.
    Can we now conclude that he has no problems with histamines?

He works one day per week, gets 30 mins/week of sun, is worried about finances to the extent that he doesn't want to get up earlier and have to eat more? Can we rule out stress and/or depression as a factor?

Does the store-bought sauerkraut have live cultures or was it pasteurized?

Zach is offline Banned
    You can shoot me a PM anytime if you want/need advice. Also i can direct you to some very interesting reading that will help you get away from the sugar is evil mentality.

Tell your bro to try it to, it helps for fat loss as well!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Whatever Nstocks does, it needs to be systematic and what yoga11 suggested about meat and veg for a while, then adding different foods back one at a time, seems to be the most systematic. Otherwise, the poor guy keeps jumping from suggestion to suggestion without knowing for sure what helps or hurts: Low carb! High carbs! Lots of dairy! No nuts! Histamines! Coconuts!

For example, he mentioned that he doesn't eat coconuts except coconut oil because coconut yogurt and flour bother him. But in the last two weeks he's had coconut 10/28 meals in the form of coconut curry meatballs, coconut curry chicken, coconut bars and coconut mint.

He may have a problem with histamines, but he did not eliminate histamines from his diet. Instead he took a supplement which did not work.

He works one day per week, gets 30 mins/week of sun, is worried about finances to the extent that he doesn't want to get up earlier and have to eat more? Can we rule out stress and/or depression as a factor?

All that stuff is valid and this is why people with severe problems should get help from a professional. Unfortunatelywh in the diet and health world, thats a pretty hard thing to find. My advice should help the majority of the problems and would just need to fine tuning along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimfina View Post

I'm not sure if you are trying to help me or criticise/put me down (no offence!)

The coconut thing, I should have been clearer. It's shredded coconut and coconut oil for the past few months. 2 years with the oil. The yoghurt is just a few days and I will never touch coconut milk again.

The histamine supplement was taken a long time ago, when I barley ate any coconut products at all.

Stress/depression? Not sure what you mean? I'm not stressed/depressed because I only work one day a week or stressed/depressed because I can only work one day and earn so much money? I think everyone worries about money, but in the context to what I earn, all the money I can spare goes on high quality food. If I can't afford food, I sell things I don't longer need. I'm generally happy that I don't have the 'corporate burnout' that most of my family have and I love not having to moan about my boring job. It's not my career and it pays the bills so I'm happy!

The store bought sauerkraut is raw, unpasturized, organic, chilled when shipped.Cultured Probiotics
    Last edited by Nstocks; 04-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.

You can shoot me a PM anytime if you want/need advice. Also i can direct you to some very interesting reading that will help you get away from the sugar is evil mentality.

Tell your bro to try it to, it helps for fat loss as well!
    Thank you! I appreciate your change in perspective compared to what I always seem to find on occurring blogs about Paleo/ancestral health and healing.

All that stuff is valid and this is why people with severe problems should get help from a professional. Unfortunatelywh in the diet and health world, thats a pretty hard thing to find. My advice should help the majority of the problems and would just need to fine tuning along the way.
    Exactly and nobody know me really, nobody knows what's going on inside of me. If I don't how can anybody else right? I'll give it a few weeks (though it may take longer and I know that by now), and they I'll keep nagging my doctor to get some tests done.

Thank you so very much everybody. I hope that the variety of dietary changes suggested will help me figure out what has upset me so much. There is never "one size fits all" and I'm definitely starting to learn that.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    *hugs*

It's so sad to feel lost and so restrictive, and you're only 22! Crikey.

Never the popular opinion around here, but I'm going to agree with Zach. You're a young, slim, healthy young man with a moderately active lifestyle. You don't need to be low carb, and it might even be hurting you. You might see yourself pack on some desired pounds by increasing carbs because your body may be starving for energy. Fruit is not the enemy. :*(

I know you said fruit sometimes makes you sleepy. That seems strange to me, and maybe indicative of some underlying condition?

Re: adult acne, I get it on my chin and jawline too, and I know its because I tend to rest of my face on my hands a lot, even when I am trying not to! What has worked really well for me is baking soda and coconut oil. Sucks out all the dirt and leaves my skin baby butt smooth. :P

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast