Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm desperate for advice. page 3

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok, I think the only way for you to test out what is causing you to feel worse is
    stick to a clean protein and veg diet after you eat breakfast.... after 4-5 hours try Sauerkraut alone and see how it sits in your stomach. this way no other food can mask the effect it has on your body... next day, do it again, after a prot/veg breakfast or lunch about 4-5 hours later try bananas or the dried fruit (that is known to bloat people!) and see how it sits in your stomach. and do this with foods you aren't sure about. I heard cinnamon can really effect some people (in not a good way).

If i were you I'd cut out fermented foods and dried fruit... stick to fresh everything! and cook with fat! you may already do that, but I don't think I see enough in your list. Olive oil, raw butter, coconut oil, avocados, avocado oil, Walnut oil is d-lish. Trade out your root veggies or add in with it cups of broccoli, spinach, and fresh kale. You will get in more vitamins just from those fresh veggies alone.
    Drink almond milk, flax milk.. do you have that around you? it's not that expensive compared to buying nuts. Also, chicken thighs and legs are MUCH CHEAPER they are fattier and taster, that might be what you need, buy those!

Sprinting is a magical magical magical thing. It helps boost your hormones and circulation... maybe try it.
    30 seconds ALL OUT, 1.5 minutes rest do it 6-8 times.

You might be anemic... do you know about that? you need lots of iron. I mean i'm not doctor, but it could be a possibility.

try no coconut
    BUT add in almond milk, flax milk, chicken things and legs! get in more fat and salt.

but please try the "testing food" phase I shared above.. that's really the way you are going to find out if you are intolerant to something.
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-26-2013 at 09:17 AM.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat coconut products? I was constantly bloated and gassy for a really long time and finally figured out that it was the coconut and coconut milk that I was using that was causing it. Stopped eating it and all those issues went away.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Whilst I've certainly heard of those diets, I'm not entirely sure where they differ from Paleo, but I'll look. I'm a little intimidated by the GAS diet because I've read how long it can take to move to the second stage and some people had bad experience.

I'll look into them and omit Sauerkraut for the next few days. It's store bought because we don't have organic cabbages in out local stores, so I don't want to waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    Ok, I think the only way for you to test out what is causing you to feel worse is
    stick to a clean protein and veg diet after you eat breakfast.... after 4-5 hours try Sauerkraut alone and see how it sits in your stomach. this way no other food can mask the effect it has on your body... next day, do it again, after a prot/veg breakfast or lunch about 4-5 hours later try bananas or the dried fruit (that is known to bloat people!) and see how it sits in your stomach. and do this with foods you aren't sure about. I heard cinnamon can really effect some people (in not a good way).

If i were you I'd cut out fermented foods and dried fruit... stick to fresh everything! and cook with fat! you may already do that, but I don't think I see enough in your list. Olive oil, raw butter, coconut oil, avocados, avocado oil, Walnut oil is d-lish. Trade out your root veggies or add in with it cups of broccoli, spinach, and fresh kale. You will get in more vitamins just from those fresh veggies alone.
    Drink almond milk, flax milk.. do you have that around you? it's not that expensive compared to buying nuts. Also, chicken thighs and legs are MUCH CHEAPER they are fattier and taster, that might be what you need, buy those!

Sprinting is a magical magical magical thing. It helps boost your hormones and circulation... maybe try it.
    30 seconds ALL OUT, 1.5 minutes rest do it 6-8 times.

You might be anemic... do you know about that? you need lots of iron. I mean i'm not doctor, but it could be a possibility.

try no coconut
    add in almond milk, flax milk, chicken things and legs! get in more fat and salt.
    I don't eat breakfast... Never hungry until after 12pm! I see your point though. What about eating kraut as the first food, then waiting a bit longer for dinner? Is that the wrong way around? I'm pretty sure bananas and definitely avocado bloat me. Pretty sure (yummy) dried fruit does too.

I only cook with coconut oil and rarely use any other fats, occasionally olive oil on salad but I don't eat much salad due to insoluble fibre. I definitely can't do Broccoli or other cruciferous as they give me terrible gas. I agree with you about Kale, but I refuse to eat non-organic greens. Those dried kale chips are organic but they have cinnamon and cacoa... I'm already starting to grow my own though but they won't be ready for months.

Why almond milk? Apart from the omega 6, is it just another source of fat which I need?

I thought I was anaemic a couple of years ago so I had Iron tests... They were fine but then I demanded a full blood test... That was fine too. I'd like more tests but my Doctor doesn't think about these things like I do I guess? NHS don't like giving out 'free' tests unless you are over 60. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Do you eat coconut products? I was constantly bloated and gassy for a really long time and finally figured out that it was the coconut and coconut milk that I was using that was causing it. Stopped eating it and all those issues went away.
    I've recently tried coconut yoghurt and that was a big no for me. Coconut flour is also a bad item for me. I only now use coconut oil and occasionally shredded unsweetened coconut.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I really don't eat much fruits, 3 pieces a week at the most and I never bake or use honey. I was following a meal plan in Practical Paleo so at every meal I was eating either sweet potato, parsnip, carrots or butternut squash. This was to help with gut flora with soluble fibre.
    Basically, I have a break out if I eat an apple, banana, etc or 1 tbsp of honey within a few hours. I can eat carrots, but not orange sweet potato (yum) without breaking out.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    Try drinking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water twice a day...that will help your bloat and your acne, also try using a 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 part water toner twice a day on your face. Braggs Organic with the Mother is the best to use and the stuff is amazing, at least it has been for me.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Honestly the bloating sounds like a mild food allergy. I have several of these. Bloated constantly, dark circles under eyes, greasy hair, dry skin...

I guess if you can't afford bloodwork tests, I would go like this. The top 8 food allergies recognized by the FDA are as follows:
    -Milk
    -Eggs
    -Peanuts
    -Tree Nuts (FDA also considers Coconut)
    -Fish
    -Shellfish
    -Soy
    -Wheat

These are the 8 allergens required by the FDA to be listed on food packages. These are the most common. I have half of them, plus a severe one which is unfortunately not required to be listed by the FDA. If you are on on Paleo you shouldn't be eating soy or wheat, but chances are you are eating the nuts, fish, eggs, etc.

I would try elminiating ALL of this from your diet. Eliminate all for a week, see if you feel better. Re-introduce on by one, wait a few days between re-introduction though. That way you know for sure what you are eating when the bloating comes back.

Also, be careful with the tea. Tea often contains soy, for some odd reason. At least the pre-packaged sh*t we have at the office does. And chocolate, very common to have soy, and also sometimes wheat (and obviously nuts, peanuts, etc).

Be an ingredient reader while you're eliminating foods. That's the best way to find a pattern and figure out what's going on.

Also, doing a water fast for a day won't kill you. Not eating for a day won't make you skinnier.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmar View Post
    Try drinking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water twice a day...that will help your bloat and your acne, also try using a 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 part water toner twice a day on your face. Braggs Organic with the Mother is the best to use and the stuff is amazing, at least it has been for me.
    Yep, I already do that. Braggs is amazing!I drink it 20 minutes before a meal as I also have low stomach acid.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Honestly the bloating sounds like a mild food allergy. I have several of these. Bloated constantly, dark circles under eyes, greasy hair, dry skin...

I guess if you can't afford bloodwork tests, I would go like this. The top 8 food allergies recognized by the FDA are as follows:
    -Milk
    -Eggs
    -Peanuts
    -Tree Nuts (FDA also considers Coconut)
    -Fish
    -Shellfish
    -Soy
    -Wheat

These are the 8 allergens required by the FDA to be listed on food packages. These are the most common. I have half of them, plus a severe one which is unfortunately not required to be listed by the FDA. If you are on on Paleo you shouldn't be eating soy or wheat, but chances are you are eating the nuts, fish, eggs, etc.

I would try elminiating ALL of this from your diet. Eliminate all for a week, see if you feel better. Re-introduce on by one, wait a few days between re-introduction though. That way you know for sure what you are eating when the bloating comes back.

Also, be careful with the tea. Tea often contains soy, for some odd reason. At least the pre-packaged sh*t we have at the office does. And chocolate, very common to have soy, and also sometimes wheat (and obviously nuts, peanuts, etc).

Be an ingredient reader while you're eliminating foods. That's the best way to find a pattern and figure out what's going on.

Also, doing a water fast for a day won't kill you. Not eating for a day won't make you skinnier.
    Thanks for the list! I definetley don't do well with dairy. Haven't eaten eggs in months and don't plan to either. I do eat nuts but in very small quantaties. Would the coconut oil be OK? Fish is salmon and pilchards because they are cheap. I've already been tested allergic to shellfish and never eaten it.

I'm definitely an ingredient searcher! I think this is where some costs can add up because the supposedly healthy food has 3 strange ingredients and cost half the price of the alternative with no junk!

I'm planning the water fast for Monday. Going to get some Evian water as it's on offer. (I do use filtered water but Evian apparently has minerals...) I will just buy it for the fast.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast