Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm desperate for advice. page 10

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Personally I think that the "everything in moderation" is something that should apply after you eliminate the things that are damaging you, not instead of asking questions about what might be causing problems.
    This. Some things can cause damage even in the smallest amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Zach is pure consciousness and I am but his echo-cho-cho-cho-cho...
    Spooky.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read pages 2-9. But I read the original message. And it sounds a lot like me. Except for the fact that I don't feel bloated after a bowel movement - and they are diarrhea, not hard. I also tried FODMAP, SCD, etc. I didn't seem to matter what "safe food" I ate - I has bloated. I have seen a GI doc and won't go into what her thoughts were as the tests are in the next few weeks. But here is what I have done which is the only thing that has worked. I essentially stopped eating fiber. This has been brutal because I love vegetables. But it has kept the pain at bay. I seem to be ok with just a few grams per meal. More than that, I'm uncomfortable. Here is a usual day:

BF - farmers cheese (can't be cottage cheese or yogurt for me), 1 serving fried banana chips and 1 serving raisins mixed in.
    L - left overs usually - grilled chicken thighs, burger usually with 2 tbsp mayo and 1 tupperware of strawberries
    D - salad greens, meat, sometimes winter squash or potato with butter, rice cakes sometimes, it varies.

Doing this for the last few weeks I'm pain free until dinner - I can't restrain myself and usually munch on carrots and then feel a little crappy BUT removing the cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, etc has really made a difference. I don't enjoy eating this way because I miss veggies, but I can at least keep the pain manageable.

Anyway, good luck.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Omg, lol. Way to fuck him up again, Neck!

Dude your just trading in one orthorexic elimination diet for another. Elimination diets do not work because the problem is not a certain food to avoid, the problem is you are ruining your health by eliminating foods!
    Thank you for writing this. I've definitely been orthorexic in the past and I guess in some ways I still am. I don't really like to admit I have fears of food but I really do. Even real, whole natural foods.

I still think that the SCD intro will be good just because it has structure. I'm also going to stop coconut oil (and all other coconut products). Butter is yummy and far cheaper than coconut oil! I know in it's own right, grass fed butter is a superfood.

I still don't have any interest in junk food. I had some sweets today and they just taste like chemical fake non-food. I'd much rather eat a load of fruit.

Thanks for your help. I'm starting to feel part of a "Paleo community" which is boasted throughout out the media as one of the "benefits"... I never had the realisation as much as I do now that I've super restrictive and it;s not helping at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    What peats a pretty anti-starch the gut should be sterile sorta guy. Thats the only difference in the beginning from what I can tell. Other than relying heavily on egg yolks and bone broth to heal the gut and get easily assimilated nutrition. The good thing about SCD is its progressive. Yes its an elimination diet, but it removes EVERYTHING....then adds stuff back in systematically, and thats what the OP is missing. He's been haphazardly removing and reintroducing without much rhyme or reason. This is an elimination diet with the full intent of reintroducing all the normal food items over time.

OK so I just read the OP's first post again and it looks like primary complaints for this 22 yo male are mild acne, bloating, and some dark circles under his eyes. So yeah, these could all be associated a bit with orthorexia....except the bloating. That seems to be something he should be able to care for with HCL tabs if some self testing makes it seem necessary. That and a good probiotic may go far.
    Yep, I'm really looking into the SCD diet. It looks quite simple and contains foods I haven't had a lot of in a long time. I like that it's progressive for specific reasons which aren't just plucked out of mid air. It's researched.

I've definitely been orthorexia in the past and I still am in some ways. This all stemmed from mild acne where after each breakout I cut out another food until now I'm left with very little. Junk food doesn't really please me because it's dead, chemical tasting cardboard.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Could you have low stomach acid? perhaps try taking enzymes ( you can get them in tablet form). May help.. worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Nstocks, you seem really stressed out. How was your health before all of this? Did you have problems with bloating then? Why did you go Primal?

If you were fine to begin with then I think you should eat all real foods (except maybe wheat). Just reintroduce slowly.

I am Zach's nodding-in-agreement friend.
    It has all stemmed from orthorexia after trying to clear my mild acne holistically. (and dark circles). Each week (which have now turned to months of 'healthy' eating but years of worrying about it) I cut out more foods because that was the only thing I could control.

I'm frustrated for sure, but I'm not too stressed. I'm confused too. It pisses me off that I eat all of these amazing foods and I'm no healthier than joe bloggs who chugs down garbage all day. This is probably due to gut issues and not being able to assimilate foods.(leaky gut)

Pre-paleo I don't really remember feeling great. I remember binging a lot on junk and that was the only exciting part of eating at that time. (and because I didn't have to pay for it - there's an abundance of junk food at home) Throughout out the journey of trying to eat real food, my skin still hasn't been great. I remember cutting out dairy 5 years ago and whilst that helped a little, I feel my problems now are not going to be anything like those causing acne 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I agree that willy nilly elimination diets are bad. They won't really tell you anything. Trust me.
    I agree that SCD is beneficial for figuring out a few things that really bother you while you try to figure out what's really going on.

YogaBare is not sure if Zach is her dream or if she is Zach's dream.
    I agree. I love the idea of eating a lot of fruit and cutting out fibrous vegetables but there's not method in working out which to cut out and when. the SCD looks simple and easily doable for me. It's pre-planned and depending on how I feel, I no longer need to focus as much on meal planning myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Neck, the only reason i give the advice i do is because i have seen it work many times on individuals just like him. This is a 22 year old male whi felt better before eating healthy and is wasting his prime years of life trying to regain health with faulty principles.

Its totally up to him to decide whats next, the only reason i care is because i was just like him at that age and i wish i had listened to the people who were telling me that i was insane for doing such an extreme diet. I know primal is not inherently extreme but you combine that with the other low carb gurus and fear mongering of sugar and it becomes very extreme very fast and all of a sudden you wonder how your health got so bad and what went wrong.
    I hear it quite often at home that my food choices are crazy. I remember eating green smoothies for months and my family though I was a anorexic hippy! They still probably think I'm a hippy but that's cool. I guess people really can find problems with every food out there and with the amount of "less is more" stuff around, it is, like you said, very easy to go to extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I haven't read pages 2-9. But I read the original message. And it sounds a lot like me. Except for the fact that I don't feel bloated after a bowel movement - and they are diarrhea, not hard. I also tried FODMAP, SCD, etc. I didn't seem to matter what "safe food" I ate - I has bloated. I have seen a GI doc and won't go into what her thoughts were as the tests are in the next few weeks. But here is what I have done which is the only thing that has worked. I essentially stopped eating fiber. This has been brutal because I love vegetables. But it has kept the pain at bay. I seem to be ok with just a few grams per meal. More than that, I'm uncomfortable. Here is a usual day:

BF - farmers cheese (can't be cottage cheese or yogurt for me), 1 serving fried banana chips and 1 serving raisins mixed in.
    L - left overs usually - grilled chicken thighs, burger usually with 2 tbsp mayo and 1 tupperware of strawberries
    D - salad greens, meat, sometimes winter squash or potato with butter, rice cakes sometimes, it varies.

Doing this for the last few weeks I'm pain free until dinner - I can't restrain myself and usually munch on carrots and then feel a little crappy BUT removing the cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, etc has really made a difference. I don't enjoy eating this way because I miss veggies, but I can at least keep the pain manageable.

Anyway, good luck.
    FODMAPS are definitely a huge issue for me. They never use to be, I use to eat carrots, cabbage and brocolli at every meal for months on end. (along with fish fingers which is processed fish covered in breadcrumbs). Fibre for me also seems to be an issue. I need to get over my fear os fruit = acne and just eat and enjoy it!

I'm going to experiment with dairy but in general I don't care for it. (unless it's cheesecake which I haven't eaten for a long time)

Thanks for your post, stay tuned!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Could you have low stomach acid? perhaps try taking enzymes ( you can get them in tablet form). May help.. worth a try.
    I do have low stomach acid for sure. I'm supplementing with NOW foods super enzymes...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast