Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why limit the amount of nuts we eat?

Hybrid View

Why limit the amount of nuts we eat?

I've been reading that we should be eating 50-65% fats, but I've also read that we should eat low to moderate amounts of nuts. Since nuts are mainly fat, why is there a limit on the amount of nuts that we should eat?

Some people have concerns about phytates that might serve as anti-nutrients, or the balance of fat that favors omega-6. A more practical reason to limit the nuts you consume is that they are high in calories, and it is easy to snack your way into a big calorie surplus.

This is the correct answer! I should know. I made myself quite sick by eating foods high in anti nutrients. I've been ill for 4 or 5 years and am just coming out of the dark on what happened. In a nutshell: The purpose of anti nutrients is to arrest biological activity of bacteria and fungus. Period. If you look at fruits, for the most part the fruits with the highest levels of these anti nutrients are grown in northern humid climes where fungus is the enemy. So these plants develop (mostly in their skins) the ability to suppress the growth of fungus. Seeds and nuts contain substances to arrest biological activity. I call them growth inhibitors. This is so the seed doesn't sprout prematurely. When conditions are right and the seed has been rinsed, biological activity begins. I thought I was fixing my diet by eating lots of the most nutrient rich foods I could. Well, something went wrong. With me anyway. First came chronic Epstein. Not too bad really, but annoying. Then recently came not being able to overcome a bacterial infection. Going downhill. So, what I figure, but haven't quite figured out yet is that I put all these anti "biotics" in my gut, lowering biological activity in my gut. I also believe inflammation begins in the gut. The thing about inflammation is that people think it's "BAD". What I learned is that there is an ideal amount of inflammation to have. Not enough, you're sick. Too much, you're sick.

Because the fat in most nuts is high in omega 6 and since most people want to lose weight they are a tad too calorie dense and easy to overeat.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

It's the lipid profile you should look into. Some nuts are loaded with poly-unsat of the omage-6 family, which we tend to eat too much of.
    But some other nuts are better, like the Macadamia nut which has barely any poly-unsat fat. Almonds are doing OK, full of mono-unsat as well.
    Search for nuts in MDA's article archive, there is an article about it.

Whether it is a macro or oils, nuts are low on satiation index, and are classified as a pleasure food. If the Primal or Paleo concept is used for weight loss, the aim is to limit foods with low satiation index. If the weight is no issue or increase in weight is desired, nuts are not really a big concern when soaked and dried. Fresh peanuts are fine too in these cases, but classically they are excluded because they are legumes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Whether it is a macro or oils, nuts are low on satiation index, and are classified as a pleasure food. If the Primal or Paleo concept is used for weight loss, the aim is to limit foods with low satiation index. If the weight is no issue or increase in weight is desired, nuts are not really a big concern when soaked and dried. Fresh peanuts are fine too in these cases, but classically they are excluded because they are legumes.
    Yes, nuts are a pleasure food. A 6.5oz jar of macadamia nuts contains 6.5 200cal servings, even though once you start eating them, it seems like it contains 2 servings. So it turns out to have 2 650cal snacks in it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Yes, nuts are a pleasure food. A 6.5oz jar of macadamia nuts contains 6.5 200cal servings, even though once you start eating them, it seems like it contains 2 servings. So it turns out to have 2 650cal snacks in it.
    Nah! That's one 1300 calorie snack. Just try to put the lid back on halfway through. It just won't go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Nah! That's one 1300 calorie snack. Just try to put the lid back on halfway through. It just won't go on.
    How it works is, by the time you are halfway through the jar, you say, "That was probably enough." Then you finish the jar anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How it works is, by the time you are halfway through the jar, you say, "That was probably enough." Then you finish the jar anyway.
    Yes. With macadamias, that is exactly how it works.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life