Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why limit the amount of nuts we eat? page

newtopaleo is offline Junior Member

Why limit the amount of nuts we eat?

Shop Now
    I've been reading that we should be eating 50-65% fats, but I've also read that we should eat low to moderate amounts of nuts. Since nuts are mainly fat, why is there a limit on the amount of nuts that we should eat?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Some people have concerns about phytates that might serve as anti-nutrients, or the balance of fat that favors omega-6. A more practical reason to limit the nuts you consume is that they are high in calories, and it is easy to snack your way into a big calorie surplus.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Because the fat in most nuts is high in omega 6 and since most people want to lose weight they are a tad too calorie dense and easy to overeat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    It's the lipid profile you should look into. Some nuts are loaded with poly-unsat of the omage-6 family, which we tend to eat too much of.
    But some other nuts are better, like the Macadamia nut which has barely any poly-unsat fat. Almonds are doing OK, full of mono-unsat as well.
    Search for nuts in MDA's article archive, there is an article about it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Whether it is a macro or oils, nuts are low on satiation index, and are classified as a pleasure food. If the Primal or Paleo concept is used for weight loss, the aim is to limit foods with low satiation index. If the weight is no issue or increase in weight is desired, nuts are not really a big concern when soaked and dried. Fresh peanuts are fine too in these cases, but classically they are excluded because they are legumes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    No reason. Chow down! Nom nom!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Whether it is a macro or oils, nuts are low on satiation index, and are classified as a pleasure food. If the Primal or Paleo concept is used for weight loss, the aim is to limit foods with low satiation index. If the weight is no issue or increase in weight is desired, nuts are not really a big concern when soaked and dried. Fresh peanuts are fine too in these cases, but classically they are excluded because they are legumes.
    Yes, nuts are a pleasure food. A 6.5oz jar of macadamia nuts contains 6.5 200cal servings, even though once you start eating them, it seems like it contains 2 servings. So it turns out to have 2 650cal snacks in it.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Pleasure/flavor/garnish is the best way to categorize them IMO. For a hungry person wanting to fill up, the nutrient balance in plant seeds is almost always problematic.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are one of the most self-regulating foods IMO... yeah, sometimes I eat a bunch in one sitting, but then I'm not hungry for the rest of the day so it evens out. Cashews and pistachios are my favorites.

^ I see where you're coming from about, it would be better to fill up on something else, nutrient-wise, but nuts aren't devoid of nutrients, they're rich in magnesium, which always has a relaxing effect on me, calcium, iron, protein, fat, manganese, zinc, selenium in Brazil nuts...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3095/2
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 04-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are extremely fattening (more calorically dense than cheese or chocolate), do little for satiety and therefore encourage overeating, contain very poor quality fats (read: PUFA's), contain very poor quality protein, the fiber is difficult to digest and they're high in phytates and lectins.

I'm not sure where you read you should eat 55-60% fat. I didn't lose body fat til I dropped in the 25-30% range.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast