Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why limit the amount of nuts we eat? page 3

Wafaa is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I stay away because I can eat a handful just fine but if I eat too much my face breaks out in horrible acne. Probably all the PUFA. Vegetable oils do a number on me too.
    A handful a day is fine or seasonally (summer, also green almonds are delicious in early spring with some salt), but I wouldn't go overboard with the snacking and using all those nut flours excessively.
    My art blog.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Don't be like them unhealthy hunter/gatherer tribes that get the majority of their calories from meat and nuts!

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/dcr...lee_chap_4.pdf

1365 calories a day from the Monongo nut (which the go to great effort to collect)
    690 calories from meat
    300 calories from plant

Approximately 60% animal and nut by weight to 40% plant..... Interesting little read.

Of course the caloric density complaint is a double edge sword. For HG's caloric density is a necessity in food choice. This may not be so for us, but I would question any presumption of these foods being unhealthy based on a reductionistic account of PUFA levels alone.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-05-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Wildthing1 is offline Junior Member
    This is the correct answer! I should know. I made myself quite sick by eating foods high in anti nutrients. I've been ill for 4 or 5 years and am just coming out of the dark on what happened. In a nutshell: The purpose of anti nutrients is to arrest biological activity of bacteria and fungus. Period. If you look at fruits, for the most part the fruits with the highest levels of these anti nutrients are grown in northern humid climes where fungus is the enemy. So these plants develop (mostly in their skins) the ability to suppress the growth of fungus. Seeds and nuts contain substances to arrest biological activity. I call them growth inhibitors. This is so the seed doesn't sprout prematurely. When conditions are right and the seed has been rinsed, biological activity begins. I thought I was fixing my diet by eating lots of the most nutrient rich foods I could. Well, something went wrong. With me anyway. First came chronic Epstein. Not too bad really, but annoying. Then recently came not being able to overcome a bacterial infection. Going downhill. So, what I figure, but haven't quite figured out yet is that I put all these anti "biotics" in my gut, lowering biological activity in my gut. I also believe inflammation begins in the gut. The thing about inflammation is that people think it's "BAD". What I learned is that there is an ideal amount of inflammation to have. Not enough, you're sick. Too much, you're sick.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Don't be like them unhealthy hunter/gatherer tribes that get the majority of their calories from meat and nuts!

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/dcr...lee_chap_4.pdf

1365 calories a day from the Monongo nut (which the go to great effort to collect)
    690 calories from meat
    300 calories from plant

Approximately 60% animal and nut by weight to 40% plant..... Interesting little read.

Of course the caloric density complaint is a double edge sword. For HG's caloric density is a necessity in food choice. This may not be so for us, but I would question any presumption of these foods being unhealthy based on a reductionistic account of PUFA levels alone.
    Those unhealthy hunter gatherers do hunt and gather....it's easier not to overeat nuts when you have to forage for them outside of a grocery store.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    When we started primal'ish, my wife and I would have nuts every day (first month or so) but after reading more, understanding more and fine-tuning our habits, we got rid of these daily nuts by doing the following:

- during a meal, eat first the most nutritious foods (organs, meats, healthy fats, with a few veggies) then, if you are still hungry after that, anything approved primal that is not the foods just mentioned (some fat dairy, nuts, etc). Believe me, you won't really go crazy on these things once your stomach is full of liver / meats / butter / etc.

purple579 is offline Member
    I don't know if anyone's read The Warrior Diet, but Ori says to eat as many nuts as you want. He even goes so far as to say that you would probably lose weight if you just ate protein and nuts. I don't know if it's because of the one-meal and overnight digestion aspect or if he's totally off base. Thoughts? It seems a little hasty to completely dismiss nuts, seeing as how it was pretty much a staple food of hunters and gatherers while going throughout their day, looking for meat. I agree with Damiana, though, it wasn't as if they were coming across giant bags of almonds in the forest...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    It seems a little hasty to completely dismiss nuts, seeing as how it was pretty much a staple food of hunters and gatherers while going throughout their day
    My guideline is to keep a bold line between fill-up foods and flavor foods. I put all plant seeds including nuts in the latter category which means I'll use them for garnish or dessert. I do appreciate their vitamin/mineral value.

For me at least, short-term satiety is all about the weight of the food. Nuts are far too light (H2O fraction ~5%) so the amount required to satiate me would be a major energy excess. They might provide long-term satiety after the body realizes what it's digesting but then I'd worry about the displacing effect since I feel better on "steak and potato" fuel.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Those unhealthy hunter gatherers do hunt and gather....it's easier not to overeat nuts when you have to forage for them outside of a grocery store.
    I don't think I understand your logic..... Most on here are complaining that nuts are to dense in calories and eating too much as part of your diet may in some way be detrimental. By most peoples terms this HG tribe is overeating nuts to the tune of 1365 calories per day. They actually purposely travel past many other sources of nutrition (fruit trees and such) to get to this particular grove of nut trees. Its "optimal" to them...I just question the anti-nut stance based on the PUFA or caloric density premises. Volumetric may still have a leg to stand on.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, that's actually what I meant too. Those tribes actively work and walk to gather their food, so they're actually working off and making good use of the high caloric density that the nuts provide. The rest of us just stand in front of a pantry with a jar, munching away.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ahh... my bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123