Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Why limit the amount of nuts we eat? page 2

  1. #11
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Yes, nuts are a pleasure food. A 6.5oz jar of macadamia nuts contains 6.5 200cal servings, even though once you start eating them, it seems like it contains 2 servings. So it turns out to have 2 650cal snacks in it.
    Nah! That's one 1300 calorie snack. Just try to put the lid back on halfway through. It just won't go on.

  2. #12
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Nah! That's one 1300 calorie snack. Just try to put the lid back on halfway through. It just won't go on.
    How it works is, by the time you are halfway through the jar, you say, "That was probably enough." Then you finish the jar anyway.

  3. #13
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    They're way too high in PUFAs.

  4. #14
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Because if you eat too many, you might not have room for chocolate. And that would just suck.

  5. #15
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,295
    Why limit the amount of nuts we eat?
    Because they're high in calories and unnecessary for life. 8 oz of cashews has about 1280 calories. I can feed myself for a whole day on 1280 calories and eat beef, butter, veggies, etc. I think of nuts as bar food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  6. #16
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Because they're high in calories and unnecessary for life. 8 oz of cashews has about 1280 calories. I can feed myself for a whole day on 1280 calories and eat beef, butter, veggies, etc. I think of nuts as bar food.
    I see nuts as travel food, for that day that starts at 4:00am and doesn't end until long after what would have been dinner time.

  7. #17
    Rip @ MIPWID's Avatar
    Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    243
    As others have said, macadamias are better nutritionally than other nuts but I still wouldn't advise too many - not easy to resist, I know - because they're packing a lot of calories.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

    Real Food - The REAL staff of life

  8. #18
    Rip @ MIPWID's Avatar
    Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How it works is, by the time you are halfway through the jar, you say, "That was probably enough." Then you finish the jar anyway.
    Yes. With macadamias, that is exactly how it works.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

    Real Food - The REAL staff of life

  9. #19
    EatMoveSleep's Avatar
    EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    492
    Yep toxins/omega6 etc. etc...
    Also two handfuls can be 20% (1/5th) or your daily energy requirements - easy to over eat and put on weight.

  10. #20
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Yep toxins/omega6 etc. etc...
    Also two handfuls can be 20% (1/5th) or your daily energy requirements - easy to over eat and put on weight.
    I don't think so. Two handfuls of macadamias can easily be 1000 calories, far more than 20% of anyone's requirements. It's amazing how much energy is packed into those little fat bombs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •