Thread: Correcting estrogen imbalance? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Correcting estrogen imbalance?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone here used a bioidentical progesterone cream for estrogen imbalance? I just recently got one. I'm pretty sure I'm imbalanced...my cycles are 41 days long. I have a lot of estrogen symptoms....can't lose weight, fatigue, irritable and anxious, etc. I'm worried about when to start using the cream though...do I start it on day 28 when ovulation occurs naturally or day 12 or 13 when it's supposed to occur? Thanks!

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I use bioidentical progesterone. I use it 2x/day days 12-26 (I don't ovulate at all without progesterone). Since the goal is to "normalize" your cycle, go off the 28 day cycle for timing. The OTC stuff didn't help at all so now I get a compound prescribed by my doc. Still working on getting my hormones regulated over 2 years after going off the pill. Fun stuff!

Hope this helps

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I would advise you to see a doctor if you want to tinker with hormones--"pretty sure I'm imbalanced" isn't enough to know what to do. You need to be tested to find out what your hormone levels are and what needs to be done to balance them (if indeed they are out of balance).

Self-medicating causes more harm than good.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your period could be heavy because of fibroids too. Better to at least get a check up. I got to the point where I ruined the sheets every month, had to clean up murder scenes in the bathroom and eventually any pill means of solving my problem gave me never ending periods. The big H fixed all that. Still have my little Os so no hormones needed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am taking thyroid and bio-identical progesterone, but these are after proper testing. There can be so many reasons for similar symptoms. I take my progesterone from day 15, still in weird cycles though due to age, but it has really reduced my heavy bleeding when it does arrive.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    ....can't lose weight, fatigue, irritable and anxious, etc.
    Have you had your thyroid tested?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I would advise you to see a doctor if you want to tinker with hormones--"pretty sure I'm imbalanced" isn't enough to know what to do. You need to be tested to find out what your hormone levels are and what needs to be done to balance them (if indeed they are out of balance). Self-medicating causes more harm than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your period could be heavy because of fibroids too. Better to at least get a check up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    There can be so many reasons for similar symptoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Have you had your thyroid tested?
    All of the above. Please see a doctor first.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've used progesterone regularly for 3 years. I had cramps my last period for the first time in years, and once in a while still break out, but nothing serious. I'm 43 and have found using 20-30 mg 21 days or so out of the month is what works for me.

I also take aspirin to help block excess and eat a raw carrot salad daily, information I have gotten from a biologist named Ray Peat:
    Ray Peat

You could also be hypothyroid; a TSH over 1 is an indicator.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    This TSH comment is incorrect. A TSH OVER 3 is an indicator, and only an indicator.

The 1.0 is used by doctors as a 'goal' for those of us who are already diagnosed as hypo and taking supplemental hormones. It's one tool for checking to see if we're getting an adequate dosage.

But the average person with a healthy thyroid has a TSH between 2 and 3 most often.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You don't say how old you are? Are you perimenopausal/menopausal age?
    Hormone levels need to checked BEFORE you tinker with trying to fix something you think is imbalanced. Except for the 41 day cycles, (mine were regular and 28-30 days) your symptoms sound like mine. I was already hypothyroid and further testing showed I had undetectable estradiol (estrogen) levels and normal progesterone levels.