Thread: beef feet

beef feet

Shop Now
    So I discovered beef feet are cheap and have been making broth with them. Very strong flavor, dark color, and solid gel when cool. I used marrow bones before and the broth is yellower and not very solid when gelled. Just curious why this is? What's the difference?

Paleobird Guest
    You can probably boil them longer before they fall apart. That may be part of it. I shall have to try this. Next time I buy a GF cow quarter I will ask if they have any spare trotters.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    So I discovered beef feet are cheap and have been making broth with them. Very strong flavor, dark color, and solid gel when cool. I used marrow bones before and the broth is yellower and not very solid when gelled. Just curious why this is? What's the difference?
    I have never used beef feet, but I do add chicken feet to my chicken bone broths for the same reason, to thicken it and create more flavor. I think it has something to do with all the gelatin and connective tissue in the feet, more than other body parts. I will have to try beef feet if I can find them some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    I have never used beef feet, but I do add chicken feet to my chicken bone broths for the same reason, to thicken it and create more flavor. I think it has something to do with all the gelatin and connective tissue in the feet, more than other body parts. I will have to try beef feet if I can find them some time.
    This^
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

I googled to try to find you a reason. I couldn't find it, only that others have had similar experiences.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thanks for bringing them (trotters) up. I am going to look for these next time out when time to make a new batch of broth..

I cook the bones on low in a slow cooker for 48 hours and they are still a bit hard. The broth has so much body only a small cup is enough!

I think the feet and hooves contain more gelatin, which is why it gels more when cooked. Calf's foot jelly, anyone?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Shop Now
    Calf's foot jelly and cow heel jelly have been made for centuries and were considered an excellent food for invalids. I use pigs trotters more often as I find them easier to get hold of.

Recipe for Calf's Feet Jelly (1823) - Mrs. Starch's Scrapbook

Chickens feet are also a super source of gelatine; a couple added to the bones from a roast chicken make a really good stock, I cook them for about an hour in a pressure cooker with bay leaves and a few black pepper corns.